FedEx Freight | Before VOTE Reading. Remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 10% increase in TOTAL compensation for drivers would equate to approximately 2.55% (or less) increased cost for FedEx. This would still keep FedEx costs between 5 and 17% less than the competition.
Add 2.5 to the graph below and you can see...

A 10% increase in TOTAL compensation for drivers would equate to approximately 2.55% (or less) increased cost for FedEx.

Agreed. I just don't believe that a 10% increase in TOTAL compensation will get you anywhere near what you are hoping to achieve with regards to healthcare and pension.

Definitely need more emphasis on vocational education in this country. Not everybody desires to push paper or drive a desk.

When I started in LTL the starting dock wage was higher than the starting P&D wage (teamster contract), but the step increases for dock where almost non-existent. Two steps from the bottom and the P&D guy was making more. Top scale for P&D was, if I recall correctly, 45% more than dock. The result, intended or not, was many people started on the dock and that's where the driver pool came from. From the company standpoint, they were able to vet employees on the dock (much less risk and expense involved). The better employees were usually given the opportunity to learn to operate a tractor by becoming a hostler. From there, they oftentimes went into P&D.

Granted this was during a time that the company was experiencing good growth, the local economy was growing and there was plenty of opportunity to become a driver. I believe the hiring of community college students to work the dock (other career aspirations) or requiring drivers to work the dock isn't helping with the aging of the driver population.

Definitely need more emphasis on vocational education in this country. Not everybody desires to push paper or drive a desk.

When I started in LTL the starting dock wage was higher than the starting P&D wage (teamster contract), but the step increases for dock where almost non-existent. Two steps from the bottom and the P&D guy was making more. Top scale for P&D was, if I recall correctly, 45% more than dock. The result, intended or not, was many people started on the dock and that's where the driver pool came from. From the company standpoint, they were able to vet employees on the dock (much less risk and expense involved). The better employees were usually given the opportunity to learn to operate a tractor by becoming a hostler. From there, they oftentimes went into P&D.

Granted this was during a time that the company was experiencing good growth, the local economy was growing and there was plenty of opportunity to become a driver. I believe the hiring of community college students to work the dock (other career aspirations) or requiring drivers to work the dock isn't helping with the aging of the driver population.
Well Ex even though we don't think alike on many matters which is all the futher I'm going with that, I totally agree with this post. Seems to me the younger group is weak don't want to work for much of anything, not all of them but a lot. Been in the industry for almost 40 years and seen bunch's that couldn't,wouldn't didn't care if they did pull half their weight. In talking to the younger group it seems they won't believe anything we tell them about wages/etc etc. I worked both sides had to chase the freight and locations but that's the industry, anyway happy and safe holidays to everybody "nuff said goodluck fell's

Agreed. I just don't believe that a 10% increase in TOTAL compensation will get you anywhere near what you are hoping to achieve with regards to healthcare and pension.

As mentioned previously, our total compensation (I seem to recall) is somewhere between 20-30% more that our "wages" alone. Now that reasonable 10% increase that I mentioned based on a (conservative average) wage of $25.00/hr plus benefits would equate to a total value of $3-$3.25/hr. increase in total compensation. $7400-$8000/yr, or more. Wouldn't that go a long way to improving the compensation package, while still keeping FedEx costs between 5% and 17% less than the competition?

Personally, I'd much prefer all increases go directly into wages, since good insurance seems unlikely to return. Otherwise, a split between wages and a retiree healthcare package like this: https://myteamcare.org/ups/newMembers/docs/TeamCareRetireePlanforUPSMembers.pdf

Don't forget, if gains are not made while there is a nationwide driver shortage, there will be no chance when the pendulum eventually swings back the other way.

FedEx raises rates when the market is tight, like now. They are less bold when demand is low. Think about it.

Just a heads up: CKB votes... Thur, the 22nd.

Not sure what the process will be for counting the votes at the other 2 WV locations. Will they be counted and witnessed at the terminals in question?

Just a heads up: CKB votes... Thur, the 22nd.

Not sure what the process will be for counting the votes at the other 2 WV locations. Will they be counted and witnessed at the terminals in question?
Was told CRW's votes would be counted on Wed, the 21st. PKB's votes won't be counted until after CKB votes in order not to influence their election since they're in the same region...which is BS IMO!
I would imagine that the votes will be counted at their respective centers.

Don't forget, if gains are not made while there is a nationwide driver shortage, there will be no chance when the pendulum eventually swings back the other way.

FedEx raises rates when the market is tight, like now. They are less bold when demand is low. Think about it.
What's there to think about, it's called a smart business decisions...every company implements rate increases when the market is tight, union and non-union...contrary to popular belief, FedEx isn't always the trendsetter when it comes to rate increases.

So why wouldn't it be a smart decsion to ask for better compensation while the driver market is tight?
Perhaps it would've been, but it's to late now. Some drivers thought the union was the best vehicle to ask for better compensation, a majority of drivers have shown differently and put their trust in the company.
We'll see who ends up with better compensation in the end....the centers that have voted no and put their faith/trust in the company or those centers that have voted yes and and will have their compensation tied up for years in litigation.

VOTE NO!!!!

As I have stated before.I support those that want to advance the labor movement.Its my choice to do so.The union didn't send me any letters or called me to cheerlead.I think it's great.That there has been 3 centers that want to advance this movement.Its a good start win or lose.Other than that.I don't think it's necessary for any one of you to join.I don't like to see corporate pigs win.If they do.So be it.I don't live in some euphoric world.That any union is going to cure all the ills.Im a union member.Ive seen how much better my working life has been improved.I was on the other side of the fence.I worked at a non union before.It wasn't all bad.It sure couldve been a whole lot better.One of the things that couldve been better.Not having to worry about coming to work.Then maybe being fired for some frivolous made up stuff.Plus some harassment along the way.The ever so changing work rules.Seems like they changed every day.Depending on who was supervising at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.