Estes | Bid question: city vs. line, util, etc.

Called and left msg for HR lady today. It was later in the afternoon and she was in a mtg I guess, so no luck getting a call back. Other people at the terminal have said they still have about 7 or 8 P&D positions to fill, and nobody seems to know whether they've started calling those guys in for interviews yet or not. I'm beginning to get a little discouraged, so I started to apply at a couple of other LTLs just to be doing something. It sucks though, because I really don't want to work anywhere else based on what all the guys from E (and other companies) say (or complain about). I just wish I could hear something, cause even a rejection is better than not knowing.

Thanks for asking, BuzzBeez. Hopefully some news next week, one way or the other...

They are real slow on the hiring process. Stay after them. Freight slowed a little also with all the radiation mess going on. That probably slowed the eagerness a tad

Freight slowed a little also with all the radiation mess going on. That probably slowed the eagerness a tad

No doubt. We are starting to notice it with the Honda suppliers we haul for. A helluva lot of nuts n bolts that go into those cars come from Japan. Some are made in Ohio, some in Indiana, but 3/4 of them...

Those tiny pieces affect all of the suppliers on up the chain. And they were just getting used to working 5 days a week again. Kinda scary, especially here in the Buckeye...

keep your hopes up ive seen a couple of the trainees for columbus doubt theyll make the cut

Are they P&D guys, or just new guys in general? I noticed that road, utility, and even hub now is posted on the website for Columbus, but P&D is still not on there. I wonder if I should go ahead and tell the TM that I'm open to those jobs too. I just don't wanna be a pain in the ass.

I would request the utility job Monday morning. Chances are that you'll be on p+d most of the time anyway. Also as a utility you should have a better shot at any extra weekend work over p+d guys. There's a good chance many of the others who applied for p+d won't go on the road or want weekend work. With so many drivers now who have to be home every night+ weekend you need to convince them you're not one of them.

I would request the utility job Monday morning. ... There's a good chance many of the others who applied for p+d won't go on the road or want weekend work. With so many drivers now who have to be home every night+ weekend you need to convince them you're not one of them.

I hear ya. I'm strongly considering it. I told them I'm not afraid of long hours, weekend work, or dock work (I already do all of the above, I just wanna get PAID decently for it). The only thing I don't like is the unpredictable nature of utility considering the crazy family situation I have right now. I could even handle a night linehaul schedule, but my better half and I do a lotta hand-off maneuvers with the kids during the week, so utility might make trying to plan everything out a little tough.

That is the ONE good thing about my current job: I know that generally I'll be working sometime between 5am and 7pm. It varies from day to day, but never very drastically, and I'm always home. I just don't get paid :::shit:::.

If we had some kind of on-call nanny, I'd do utility, extraboard, whatever. At least then I would be able to afford one!

Maybe loosechange was right. I'm seeing p+d for Columbus back up on the web site. Any progress with Estes or another LTL yet coondogg?

Yeah I noticed that, but I'm not super-hopeful at this point because of my past. I'd rather hear a rejection than nothing, but they seem to have a rule against that. I had basically given up and started to look elsewhere, but many of the other companies (that I'd rather not work for anyway) are even stricter about criminal records. It was all petty, non-violent stuff over 5 years ago and my life is completely different now, but it doesn't seem to matter much to most people. It's not true that 'I paid my debt to society' if it continues to follow me for the rest of my life. When does it end? Anyway, enough whining...

So I decided to make some calls to try and advocate for myself. One very good thing about Estes is that the people in Richmond and the higher-up managers are fairly accessible; there isn't this brick wall that shields them from the little guys--at least that's what I've found so far. I don't know if it'll do any good, but I got to 'plead my case' with some people who might be able to help me out and at least maybe get me an interview. For obvious reasons I don't want to write their names (or even initials) here. The funny thing is that I was just pulling a load of mostly giant flat-screen TVs and laptops before I talked to one of them. I can be trusted with high-value freight despite my history. Plus, I found out a way that I can be bonded if that would make them feel better about taking a chance on me.

I was told by one of these guys that P&D positions will mostly be filled from within, presumably by Utility guys. Earlier in the day I ran into an 11-year P&D guy who is going to linehaul for a change of pace; he said they'd need quite a few of them. Anyway, I told this higher-up dude that I was willing to do Utility or whatever to get my foot in the door. He said he was gonna call so-and-so and have them pull my application and told me to call the TM in the middle of the week to see about a possible interview. He seemed sincere, and not like he was just humoring me, so we'll see what happens. At this point I'm asking for prayers or good vibes or whatever to be sent their way. Wish me luck.

My birthday was yesterday. I want a yellow-and-black truck. I don't care if it's a little late!

I gots me an interview, y'all!!! Going in tomorrow to talk about the Utility gig. Wont be lookin' too preppy, though--gonna be going from work. Any pointers? Wish me luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratz Coondog. Don't be like Motocross. He got the job and went to Disneyworld or something. I guess he's still on cloud 9. Lol

I gots me an interview, y'all!!! Going in tomorrow to talk about the Utility gig. Wont be lookin' too preppy, though--gonna be going from work. Any pointers? Wish me luck...

Wipe... Don't go into the interview with that not so fresh feeling.....LoL...Good luck to ya coondog...

Copy the Wipe! Good advice--which I chose to heed.

Interview went great! I'm approved with the terminal manager and all, and now it just has to clear corporate. Send good vibes to the fine folks in Richmond for me...

Way to go coondogg! Your determination has paid off. Its likely just background check stuff now, which they may have already done most of. T/M give out a clue what they're needing most of right now or is it gonna be week to week demand?

T/M give out a clue what they're needing most of right now or is it gonna be week to week demand?

Seems like a demand deal to me. He said straight dock work wasn't likely, but there could be hub replacement runs to cover. He also said there would also be the (rare?) possibility of being run like an extraboarder and out all week, but he basically said that he'd try and give that type of stuff to the mile-hungry guys first. I said I was willing to do whatever if it came down to that. He was a real solid, straight-shooter type of guy, and he didn't try to dress up the utility job to be all nice and predictable or anything. He also confirmed that they pretty much never hire P&D drivers from the outside; those jobs usually get filled by utility drivers who've paid their dues and want city only.

But I'm not cleaning out my truck just yet. I still have to get past a few more people before I have an official job offer. Jedi Mind-Trick anyone?!

I told ya they'd hire anybody :biglaugh:
Wait til you get your big ol large bumble bee trucks. These trucks are chick magnets. Lol