ABF | big day tomorrow

ex driver

TB Lurker
Credits
march 11th negotiations resume. lets see what progress is made and we will then know what direction the company is moving in.

I don't think it will be as bad as some are thinking. Con Way just announced a 2 percent raise, effective March 31st. They are not too far behind us in wages.

We are way ahead of them in wages, Brother. Roughly $250.00 a week goes into your defined-benefit pension plan. Conway employees have to fund their own defined-contribution plan a minimum of 5% of their weekly gross check. We don't pay to maintain our health care plan. Two years ago, Conway announced that the deductible to maintain their individual health plans will be 5% of their yearly gross. That makes 10% of their weekly gross check going to health care deductibles and pension. Those costs are currently paid for us as a negotiated part of our contract. So the paycheck score is: Conway: -10% of their weekly check, ABF: +10% more in health and pension coverage (that we don't see) paid on our behalf. 20% difference in compensation. That 2% raise will cover less than half of their health care deductible. I'll bet you dollars to donuts Conway raises their health care deductible AT LEAST 2% in the next year.....

One hand giveth and the other taketh away. That is the way of the world anymore. They had better not try that with us or it's a NO from me.

Then what for you ABF'der? You can prolly take your pension and get out but how long will it pay off versus how long you expect to need it?

Me thinks 8 out of 10 IBT Brothers would probably say "2% increase in Healthcare coverage sounds great as long as I still have a job that pays like this" nowadays.

I've been out of union LTL biz for a few years now though (thank ya Judy!). Just sayin' what I saw going on when the **** hit the fan in our barn.

No? Ok now what???? Duh!!!!

We are way ahead of them in wages, Brother. Roughly $250.00 a week goes into your defined-benefit pension plan. Conway employees have to fund their own defined-contribution plan a minimum of 5% of their weekly gross check. We don't pay to maintain our health care plan. Two years ago, Conway announced that the deductible to maintain their individual health plans will be 5% of their yearly gross. That makes 10% of their weekly gross check going to health care deductibles and pension. Those costs are currently paid for us as a negotiated part of our contract. So the paycheck score is: Conway: -10% of their weekly check, ABF: +10% more in health and pension coverage (that we don't see) paid on our behalf. 20% difference in compensation. That 2% raise will cover less than half of their health care deductible. I'll bet you dollars to donuts Conway raises their health care deductible AT LEAST 2% in the next year.....
All that stuff you said about Conway is not true. You have no idea how we operate. Most of us got a 4% raise. Just getting the facts out there...you know nothing of the healthcare benefits. Sorry. Just trying to help you out there. Oh yeah, the retirement statement is also wrong.but hey I really don't care..

Then what for you ABF'der? You can prolly take your pension and get out but how long will it pay off versus how long you expect to need it?

Me thinks 8 out of 10 IBT Brothers would probably say "2% increase in Healthcare coverage sounds great as long as I still have a job that pays like this" nowadays.

I've been out of union LTL biz for a few years now though (thank ya Judy!). Just sayin' what I saw going on when the **** hit the fan in our barn.

No sir, I cannot take my pension and run. Not old enough, not enough years, not enough money when I reach the first threshold (if it's still there for me) and I haven't heard 1% of the work force indicate that they are willing to start any copays for coverage. BTW we pay nothing for it now.
All that stuff you said about Conway is not true. You have no idea how we operate. Most of us got a 4% raise. Just getting the facts out there...you know nothing of the healthcare benefits. Sorry. Just trying to help you out there. Oh yeah, the retirement statement is also wrong.but hey I really don't care..
Most got a 4% raise? Please expand on it for me. Why not all? If he is off on the the healthcare and retirement why not set the record straight for us so we don't go around misinformed? I like to keep up on what goes on out there at other companies. Not for the sake of ridiculing anyone, just to keep myself informed.

If you don't care then why are you posting here?:confused:

No sir, I cannot take my pension and run. Not old enough, not enough years, not enough money when I reach the first threshold (if it's still there for me) and I haven't heard 1% of the work force indicate that they are willing to start any copays for coverage. BTW we pay nothing for it now.

Most got a 4% raise? Please expand on it for me. Why not all? If he is off on the the healthcare and retirement why not set the record straight for us so we don't go around misinformed? I like to keep up on what goes on out there at other companies. Not for the sake of ridiculing anyone, just to keep myself informed.
I don't want you to be mis-informed. The con-way forum can answer all your questions. You should be glad that we are getting raises, to more level the playing field, and you have a better chance to keep what you now have. Don't you think. ? Btw, did you see YRC stock today? up 12.5%! That's good for the whole industry.

I don't want you to be mis-informed. The con-way forum can answer all your questions. You should be glad that we are getting raises, to more level the playing field, and you have a better chance to keep what you now have. Don't you think. ? Btw, did you see YRC stock today? up 12.5%! That's good for the whole industry.
You are damned right I am hoping you get a raise and I am wishing the same for UPS Freight, along with some good improvements in their language, as you should be. See, union or non-union we are all in this together and bad news for one is bad news for all. Same goes for good news.

Whoa there... starting to sound like Judy or Roy explaining that compensation difference to us :biglaugh:

Just kidding with you Brother !!

Whoa there... starting to sound like Judy or Roy explaining that compensation difference to us :biglaugh:

Just kidding with you Brother !!

Sorry, there, Brother. I should've pointed out that our compensation package is constant, and only contractually changes, usually for the better. Most other carriers have fallen away and down the spiral. We are trying to hold the line on compensation like the cavalry trying to hold Fort Apache. If I am mistaken on Conway's compensation, I'd like to be enlightened. I do think that Conway does adjust their pay and benefits to suit that specific terminal, if not going as far as maybe specific individual employees. What's to stop them?

ABF'er, you failed to answer my question.

You say you would vote no to having to pay an additional 2%of your wages for healthcare.

Suppose the majority of ABF'ers agree and vote no. My question is then what? Can YRC still strike ABF if ABF votes no like before? Again, I've been out of the LTL arena for a few years. Is there still one National Freight Agreement Contract both companies must approve our are you divided and get separate NMFC's now?

I apologize for my ignorance of the issues at hand and appreciate anyone that can take time to answer my question above.

I've pretty much blocked out my memories of so many IBT/NMFC contract talks but this year I'm interested to see how this plays out. Seems like the way I remember it YFSY/RDWY always signed whatever had already been agreed too and forced ABF to sign a "me too" to stay alive (with the exception of that one year when Carolina was allowed to **** out when the IBT decided they were already way over done).

You know, it's kind of unusual. If YRC's MOU says that they work under an extension of the NMFA until 2015....and a new NMFA gets voted on by ABF employees in 2013, thereby making it the only NMFA in existence up to 2015, will YRC's wages and benefits step up to what ABF has voted on in 2013....without the YRC employees voting on anything? Wouldn't that be curious?

beerfd is to embarrassed to answer u. Conway tried to adjust pay scale to different areas based on the going rate. Some got 2 %, some got 4, some got nothing. The souths complaint is no ot till after 50hours. New hires have no 401k match, insurance is outrageous... Bottom line, don't ever work here.

Thank you Judy ? Why did she make you lose employment at A.B.F. ? I smell a rat. Junior member stirring the pot,not in freight anymore? Why would you even care ?

You are damned right I am hoping you get a raise and I am wishing the same for UPS Freight, along with some good improvements in their language, as you should be. See, union or non-union we are all in this together and bad news for one is bad news for all. Same goes for good news.

Language is the key to this new contract. I am so tired of picking up ups freight and loding it on a contractors trailer, while our brothers sit at home waiting for the phone to ring."sorry mr. Linehaul xtra board driver, but we dont have u set up with a run tonight , btw we loaded 10 contractors thou.