ABF | big day tomorrow

if you're 45 years old and younger you're not gonna get no pension anyway Central States is broke and there's no re covery

Conway Old Dominion sasi motor freight FedExFreight R&L freight ll these other companies are making 75,000 or more a year we are not specisl they are home everyday and every weekend

Conway Old Dominion sasi motor freight FedExFreight R&L freight ll these other companies are making 75,000 or more a year we are not specisl they are home everyday and every weekend

I hear they are all hiring, Old Dominion and R&L, will probably be your best bet. Since we are not so special, don't let the door hit ya! :sadwavey:

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me tell u about Conway. 2 weeks prior to ABF contract expiration, we magically get a raise at perfect timing. ABF hasnt settled a contract because they need financial relief. So few Conway dsrs got a 4%raise and some got 2% and ABF wants a cut. But what we Conway drivers won't tell you is, contractors pull our freight, hourly pay is 22.48 with no OT in the south , part timers work the dock at half the wages with no benefits, insurance is very high, and our retirement sucks. So did we get a raise? No. Just a slap in the face. The whole plan is to discourage the ABF drivers to vote no and cause a strike and take Abfs market share. Think about it. I'm right because I work here. We tried to kill yrc with discounts. This is just another tactic to kill the union carriers.

Language is the key to this new contract. I am so tired of picking up ups freight and loding it on a contractors trailer, while our brothers sit at home waiting for the phone to ring."sorry mr. Linehaul xtra board driver, but we dont have u set up with a run tonight , btw we loaded 10 contractors thou.

Sounds like Con-way.

Maybe if you're a linehaul driver at Con-way with 20+ years seniority so you actually get a decent run and don't have to worry about sitting at home 2 nights a week, maybe you'll make 70k. I've been there 3 years and barely crack 50k, working almost 50 hours a week (in the south, no o/t til 50), 10-15 of that is on the outbound dock every night. Rollin doesn't have all his facts straight, top is $22.04 in the south, and new hires finally have now been blessed with a 2% contribution to their retirement whether they contribute or not. But one thing he does have right is the fact that a large portion of our freight is hauled by sub-contractor, all while Con-way touts their safestack decking system to prevent damages. Problem is, they didn't install that in CRST or Werner's trailer. And if the freight moves over 300 miles, chances are it's getting hauled by Bubba, not by Con-way.

That's not right, we have 100k drivers ..just clarifying that

Let me tell u about Conway. 2 weeks prior to ABF contract expiration, we magically get a raise at perfect timing. ABF hasnt settled a contract because they need financial relief. So few Conway dsrs got a 4%raise and some got 2% and ABF wants a cut. But what we Conway drivers won't tell you is, contractors pull our freight, hourly pay is 22.48 with no OT in the south , part timers work the dock at half the wages with no benefits, insurance is very high, and our retirement sucks. So did we get a raise? No. Just a slap in the face. The whole plan is to discourage the ABF drivers to vote no and cause a strike and take Abfs market share. Think about it. I'm right because I work here. We tried to kill yrc with discounts. This is just another tactic to kill the union carriers.

I'm sorry guys, but rollin62 got out of his Cage again. Don't believe all he says..he loves his job and wants ya to go out of business, so he can get a run.

Whew, boy , Conway guys......sounds like a pretty mixed-up place,...some get paid one thing , some get another. I do know that nobody at Conway is supposed to discuss pay with any other Conway employee.....that right there would breed a lot of suspicion and discontent. And I see you guys are interested in our negotiations. Would that be because if we take any sort of concessions, it's almost assured you guys will have your pay/benefits slashed almost immediately? Guys....you've got to take your own future in your own hands. Organize.....don't let your future be decided by other people.

Whew, boy , Conway guys......sounds like a pretty mixed-up place,...some get paid one thing , some get another. I do know that nobody at Conway is supposed to discuss pay with any other Conway employee.....that right there would breed a lot of suspicion and discontent. And I see you guys are interested in our negotiations. Would that be because if we take any sort of concessions, it's almost assured you guys will have your pay/benefits slashed almost immediately? Guys....you've got to take your own future in your own hands. Organize.....don't let your future be decided by other people.
I think that they realize what you say but don't think they'll ever organize.

ABF'er, you failed to answer my question.

You say you would vote no to having to pay an additional 2%of your wages for healthcare.

Suppose the majority of ABF'ers agree and vote no. My question is then what? Can YRC still strike ABF if ABF votes no like before? Again, I've been out of the LTL arena for a few years. Is there still one National Freight Agreement Contract both companies must approve our are you divided and get separate NMFC's now?

I apologize for my ignorance of the issues at hand and appreciate anyone that can take time to answer my question above.

I've pretty much blocked out my memories of so many IBT/NMFC contract talks but this year I'm interested to see how this plays out. Seems like the way I remember it YFSY/RDWY always signed whatever had already been agreed too and forced ABF to sign a "me too" to stay alive (with the exception of that one year when Carolina was allowed to **** out when the IBT decided they were already way over done).

Thank you Judy ? Why did she make you lose employment at A.B.F. ? I smell a rat. Junior member stirring the pot,not in freight anymore? Why would you even care ?
That was one quick call out if you ask me. He sounds just like another pencil pusher I know.

Any advice or steps to get the ibt involved were in! Were all tired of being ripped off and fired for stupid ****!

Yeah, I'm really tired of my $1 raise and bonus check. Speak for yourself roll boy...your the only one that feels that way..how did you escape your cage anyways?

Yeah, I'm really tired of my $1 raise and bonus check. Speak for yourself roll boy...your the only one that feels that way..how did you escape your cage anyways?
Your diluted on what's really going on over here at Conway. Were all screamin for help. Drivers are having wrecks and losing lives because of this place

Your diluted on what's really going on over here at Conway. Were all screamin for help. Drivers are having wrecks and losing lives because of this place
When one person has it good he thinks the rest of the system is that way. Maybe we should start a thread showing how much it costs Conway drivers for health bennies & what the hourly wage is along with paid time off ect. Versus Abf . The reason I say this is we have a few Conway guys on here who I think will tell the truth.....

I'll tell all the truth that's really necessary. It's a decent place to work, definitely not the best but far from the worst. Pay could be more, and the health insurance really isn't all that expensive. I pay for myself and 3 dependents somewhere around $20 a week. It's a high deductible program, but half d my deductible is covered by a fund that's Con-way's money, not mine. If you're healthy you probably won't ever exhaust the fund, and another positive is that whatever you don't use is carried over to the next year on too of the next year's fund. It's a far cry from free bit it's not too bad. The pay structure is convoluted and just became more so, but as all of you know they expect quite a bit from us. I'm not really sure what rollin refers to about people having wrecks and losing lives, that certainly doesn't happen at my yard, but maybe he could enlighten us. Truth enough?

Maybe a manager here?

I'll tell all the truth that's really necessary. It's a decent place to work, definitely not the best but far from the worst. Pay could be more, and the health insurance really isn't all that expensive. I pay for myself and 3 dependents somewhere around $20 a week. It's a high deductible program, but half d my deductible is covered by a fund that's Con-way's money, not mine. If you're healthy you probably won't ever exhaust the fund, and another positive is that whatever you don't use is carried over to the next year on too of the next year's fund. It's a far cry from free bit it's not too bad. The pay structure is convoluted and just became more so, but as all of you know they expect quite a bit from us. I'm not really sure what rollin refers to about people having wrecks and losing lives, that certainly doesn't happen at my yard, but maybe he could enlighten us. Truth enough?
Sounds like your content with where you work. That's a step in the right direction. Sure makes for an easier day.