Big I-84 accident

Doesn't Oregon DOT watch the weather and dispatch Salt Shakers?
Looking at all the pics., it's a miracle there weren't any fatalities!

We having been seeing a lot of these multi vehicle crashes.
I know we had some back in the day,however we also were using (CB) citizen band radios to warn of highway dangers.

I have been retired since 2008,I find it hard to believe the CB is not still being used by truckers these days?

I'm sure a radio warning could have avoided so many Semi's even if it was black ice.
If you hear there is a crash you are going to slow down,it is just a natural thing.

http://www.mycentraloregon.com/2015/01/17/new-info-and-pictures-from-i-84-crash/

Last edited:
Doesn't Oregon DOT watch the weather and dispatch Salt Shakers?
Looking at all the pics., it's a miracle there weren't any fatalities!

I am under the impression that Oregon refrains from using chemicals to combat icy conditions due to the damage to the environment. There is or was a lawsuit ongoing against Oregon by a Canadian bus company after a tragic accident due to this very fact. Oregon puts the concerns of the environmentalists before safety. I certainly hope that everyone involved in the accident that we are now discussing will join in and bring the state of Oregon to answer for this in a court room.

Its a sad fact but they only come out after accidents.
It's not sad, I call it criminal. Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars in equipment and freight, medical costs, wreckers, First Responders , major Interstate closed for hours. For what? To save premium pay on Sat., and a few tons of salt? Like I've said before, arguing with a Bureaucrat, is like mud wrestling with a pig, in less than 2 mins. you realize the pig is having the time of it's life.

I am under the impression that Oregon refrains from using chemicals to combat icy conditions due to the damage to the environment. There is or was a lawsuit ongoing against Oregon by a Canadian bus company after a tragic accident due to this very fact. Oregon puts the concerns of the environmentalists before safety. I certainly hope that everyone involved in the accident that we are now discussing will join in and bring the state of Oregon to answer for this in a court room.
Amen my Brother!

Some years back, I was going north on 1-81 around Harrisburg, Pa and it was snowing and the roads were becoming very treacherous. I made it up to the T/A @exit 77 and decided it was best to park it. Went inside the truck stop and there stood a state trooper and I asked him, "when are the plows and salt shakers going to start working", (oh it was on a Sunday night). His reply was, "tomorrow morning, we are not calling them out tonight because we would have to pay them double time".

A prime example where the state is very hypocritical when it comes to safety. Basically, all the rhetoric that we hear from the government is bull$hit, nothing more or less. The only concern that any government agency has that involves safety is how much revenue can it generate.

Now that's a hell of a lot of scrap there. Imagine what that would sound like if you were there to hear it all happen.
I have been retired since 2008,I find it hard to believe the cb
ir
is not still being used by truckers these days?
The last time I had a CB turned on there were ******* playing music, drowning others out with their linear amplifiers and all talking about what ****** everyone else is.

This is just typical of Oregon. Normally after there have been several accidents, they will bring out the plows and sand trucks but not until then. This section of I-84 is always causing problems for drivers--and its not usually snow, its ICE and ODOT knows it but still does not pre-treat or prepare for it. From what I have been told, freezing fog moved in and the road froze quite quickly. One driver I know hit the black ice and almost lost it as well but before he got to te bottom of the valley floor where he could get stopped, the accidents started happpening--accidents, there were six pileups in that streatch of road which consumed at least one more FEDEX freight truck and approxmently 6 vehicles each but the driver was ok. The news showed this one because it was the most serious I guess. --Environment and money are most important to ORE. Now the DOT will start writing more tickets hoping that will reduce speed and the amount af these accidents cuz everyone knows the state could never be at fault.