TForce | Big time yard safety coming to your terminal.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
BusterNite I see in one of your posts your looking for some saftey equipment?
Well my friend you've got your wish.
Vests will be worn for everyone walking in our terminal yards,starting ASAP.
Zero tolerence for non-compliance.
Safety cones will be used to steak out work areas,and placarding of trailers.
No more ideling of any power units without someone behind the steering wheel.
four way flashers will be used on personal vehicles,untill parked in employee parking areas.
Also four way flashers and seatbelts will be in use at all times while operating company power units in all terminal yards.

When you pre-trip,you are to pull into a safe area,have your vest on,take the key with you.
Do your light,and tire check,enter the cab,and restart your engine,belt up,and exit the terminal yard with your four ways on.

Yard speed limits will also be observed,and obeyed,by everyone driving on company property.

All of these mearsure are to be put in place ASAP,with zero tolerence.

All this not coming from your TM,not even UPS,but OHSA wants all of UPS to be safe in light of some traggic events that have happened lately at some of our terminals.

BusterNite I see in one of your posts your looking for some saftey equipment?
Well my friend you've got your wish.
Vests will be worn for everyone walking in our terminal yards,starting ASAP.
Zero tolerence for non-compliance.
Safety cones will be used to steak out work areas,and placarding of trailers.
No more ideling of any power units without someone behind the steering wheel.
four way flashers will be used on personal vehicles,untill parked in employee parking areas.
Also four way flashers and seatbelts will be in use at all times while operating company power units in all terminal yards.

When you pre-trip,you are to pull into a safe area,have your vest on,take the key with you.
Do your light,and tire check,enter the cab,and restart your engine,belt up,and exit the terminal yard with your four ways on.

Yard speed limits will also be observed,and obeyed,by everyone driving on company property.

All of these mearsure are to be put in place ASAP,with zero tolerence.

All this not coming from your TM,not even UPS,but OHSA wants all of UPS to be safe in light of some traggic events that have happened lately at some of our terminals.

#1 Where are they going to attach a cone holder on every tractor we have? This must be secure on the vehicle. It should not be loose in the cab. This is not safe.
#2 Will they be paying us Road Drivers on the clock to drop & hook as this will take much more time than the point system they have now.
#3 In the winter time will they be paying us on the clock to sit in the truck for 15-20 minutes waiting for the windows to defrost.
#4 Move the truck to a safe area and then pre trip? This is not safe! You are supposed to pre trip before you move the truck.
#5 Vests?? When do we put these on? At home, on company time, while driving, Or do we have to walk to a safe area (in the dark) and then put it on?

You are to keep your vest like any other piece of your uniform.
Its to be worn any time you are walking anywhere in the terminal yards.
Including to,and from your own personal vehicles.

Safety cones will be carried with you when you need to protect a work area in the yard.

Such as placarding,or removing placards.

As well as cones are to be placed at both ends of the fuel island when fueling.

To hook any power units to trailers,your four ways will be in use,and seat belts will be worn.
When you are to shift into reverse you sound the horn,back under the trailer.
Turn off the engine, pull the key,and exit the tractor,check to see that the dog ear is straight over the pin release bar,or if the arm is secure on the newer tractors.
Hook your airlines,plug in your light cord,crank the landing gear up,then get back in the tractor put your key in the ignition, start up,pull ahead to pre-trip.

Turn on your lights,your four ways will already be in use.
Turn off the engine pull the key then exit the tractor,to do your walk around.

While your operating any motor vehicle anywhere on company property your four ways will always be on,you will also be waring your seat belt.

No engine will be running without someone sitting in the seat behind the steering wheel,including personal vehicles.

Theres also more regulations concerning safety as to only certified workers will be allowed to walk in our terminal yards to take care of placards.

Everyone in the northeastern region will learn more this coming monday.

This is one more area being added to us driver trainers,to train new hires,as well as looking out for those who are presently working here.

We are to be the eyes of the TM to make sure everyone is going to be following these new guidlines,and report all that can't seem to get with the program.

There is to be zero tolerance,with write ups,and talks with the TM.
If there are repetes more serious measure will be taken,to help you get in this safety habit,or show you the door!

And like I've already posted this is all coming down from OHSA,UPS will pay very heavy fines if an OHSA agent comes to one of our terminals and finds even one violation.

You are to keep your vest like any other piece of your uniform.
Its to be worn any time you are walking anywhere in the terminal yards.
Including to,and from your own personal vehicles.

Safety cones will be carried with you when you need to protect a work area in the yard.

Such as placarding,or removing placards.

As well as cones are to be placed at both ends of the fuel island when fueling.

To hook any power units to trailers,your four ways will be in use,and seat belts will be worn.
When you are to shift into reverse you sound the horn,back under the trailer.
Turn off the engine, pull the key,and exit the tractor,check to see that the dog ear is straight over the pin release bar,or if the arm is secure on the newer tractors.
Hook your airlines,plug in your light cord,crank the landing gear up,then get back in the tractor put your key in the ignition, start up,pull ahead to pre-trip.

Turn on your lights,your four ways will already be in use.
Turn off the engine pull the key then exit the tractor,to do your walk around.

While your operating any motor vehicle anywhere on company property your four ways will always be on,you will also be waring your seat belt.

No engine will be running without someone sitting in the seat behind the steering wheel,including personal vehicles.

Theres also more regulations concerning safety as to only certified workers will be allowed to walk in our terminal yards to take care of placards.

Everyone in the northeastern region will learn more this coming monday.

This is one more area being added to us driver trainers,to train new hires,as well as looking out for those who are presently working here.

We are to be the eyes of the TM to make sure everyone is going to be following these new guidlines,and report all that can't seem to get with the program.

There is to be zero tolerance,with write ups,and talks with the TM.
If there are repetes more serious measure will be taken,to help you get in this safety habit,or show you the door!

And like I've already posted this is all coming down from OHSA,UPS will pay very heavy fines if an OHSA agent comes to one of our terminals and finds even one violation.

Are you getting this all done within the 20 minutes that they allow you?:hysterical:

Blow the horn before we back up, GREAT!!! I have been writing up that my horn does not work every day for almost a year now. Maybe they will fix it, Or maybe they will just give me a kazoo to blow when I back up.

Everybody but the yardgoats have to observe the rules in the yard, at least from what I've seen so far.

Apo, we at my terminal have been doing the turn off the truck and taking the key, observing the speed limit, going the right direction, four ways, seatbelts, for at least a month now and the yardgoats seem to be exempt. They also told us we need not wear safety vests (drivers) but I know it's comming, only a matter of time.

I had a delivery to a UPSF terminal the other day and saw they had chains across the doors. Is this something new?

I also noticed the dispatcher was wearing a uniform. Is it normal for the office people to be wearing uniforms?

Yes your right, all of this is coming to your terminal if you are working for UPS Freight.

Monday is the big day for the axe to drop, on all of these safety measures.
If you have a horn that doesn't work it should be put out of service.
Its a safety violation,and if someone comes to your terminal from OHSA.
UPS will be paying out some real hefty fines.

So believe me,after two yard deaths,safety is a very serious issue thats here to stay.

I've been doing all of these safety practises since I was taught them this last wenesday.

I want to be the example,seeing I'm my terminals safety trainer.

I'm not viewing this as more forced regulations.
But as one more adventure,to take us out of the mundain way we've always done everything.

Yes again they are going to give us more time to do our jobs,as long as we are being safe.

A lot of people have found out the hard way that safety,and being in a hurry,don't work together.

So if we look at this with a positive attitude we'll all be a lot more happier doing it OHSA's way.

YUP CFer its up to any driver pulling out from docks to either close the dock door,or put the chain accross,before they go out side to move the trailer away.

We've been going through this safety stuff for a while in NBR. So our question to management is. Are they going to pay us for this added time to drop & hook? Managements answer was. "WE'LL LOOK INTO IT." Is it me or have we heard this before?

I had a delivery to a UPSF terminal the other day and saw they had chains across the doors. Is this something new?

I also noticed the dispatcher was wearing a uniform. Is it normal for the office people to be wearing uniforms?

CFer, the chain across the barn door is mandatory. If the door is not in use or if the trailer is live, then a chain is to be used.

As for the uniformed dispatcher thing, maybe he's on the fence. Possibly thinking of coming over to the dark side!!!! :biglaugh:

I know one thing for sure.
Any manager that touches any freight on our docks are to have OHSA approved safety shoes on.

If he,or she is just walking around supervising the workers then they can ware any type of shoes they wish.
But should one of them touch any freight to move it,on their own,then they are in vilolation of company policy,and OHSA.

I know one thing for sure.
Any manager that touches any freight on our docks are to have OHSA approved safety shoes on.

If he,or she is just walking around supervising the workers then they can ware any type of shoes they wish.
But should one of them touch any freight to move it,on their own,then they are in vilolation of company policy,and OHSA.

Yes, But as current policy states, The TM can change anything at anytime he wants if its to benefit the terminal. (rule book 101):biglaugh:

My tractor is leaking oil all over the yard. About 2 gallons a week. I was told they will fix it when it comes in on a hook. We will be needing alot of extra cones as we will have to put them on all the oil spills in the yard. Slip & falls can't be to safe!

Office and dock are not required to wear uniforms and UPS will not supply uniforms to them.

The dispatcher you saw was probably a driver. Depending on who you are or where you are you can do anything you want. Also may have been a driver on light duty. The company will make you work the office rather than paying you to stay home if its a light duty injury.

My tractor is leaking oil all over the yard. About 2 gallons a week. I was told they will fix it when it comes in on a hook. We will be needing alot of extra cones as we will have to put them on all the oil spills in the yard. Slip & falls can't be to safe!
Thats crazy:TR10driving03:
We have a top notch (unionized) automotive shop. I've never had a problem with a write and they've been rather accommodating. :1036316054:

Yes your right, all of this is coming to your terminal if you are working for UPS Freight.

Monday is the big day for the axe to drop, on all of these safety measures.
If you have a horn that doesn't work it should be put out of service.
Its a safety violation,and if someone comes to your terminal from OHSA.
UPS will be paying out some real hefty fines.

So believe me,after two yard deaths,safety is a very serious issue thats here to stay.

I've been doing all of these safety practises since I was taught them this last wenesday.

I want to be the example,seeing I'm my terminals safety trainer.

I'm not viewing this as more forced regulations.
But as one more adventure,to take us out of the mundain way we've always done everything.

Yes again they are going to give us more time to do our jobs,as long as we are being safe.

A lot of people have found out the hard way that safety,and being in a hurry,don't work together.

So if we look at this with a positive attitude we'll all be a lot more happier doing it OHSA's way.

I knew about the death in STL. But where was the other and any details of what happened?

The dispatcher you saw was probably a driver. Depending on who you are or where you are you can do anything you want. Also may have been a driver on light duty. The company will make you work the office rather than paying you to stay home if its a light duty injury.

I thought of that BusterNite but I have delivered there in the past and it's always the same guy in the dispatch office. This was the first time I had seen him wearing a uniform.