XPO | Blue Straps

eurodaytona

TB Lurker
Credits
I just read this small article in the monthly e-mail.....

The straps are coming! The straps are coming!
Did you know, since SafeStack launched, we have purchased over 330,000 SafeStack straps which is enough to outfit our entire fleet three times? A recent count determined we now have around 70,000 SafeStack straps currently in circulation. At a cost of over $4 per strap, this equates to over a million dollars in lost straps! We would have to secure approximately 105 million pounds of freight to cover the replacement cost!
On March 12, 2012 110,000 more SafeStack straps will be released into the system. This will assist in the effort to have eight straps on every Con-way Freight trailer.
Do your part!
•If you see a bin or bucket on your dock resembling the pictures shown below, let your SafeStack SME know these bins should be emptied with good straps hung on trailers and damaged straps thrown away! There are an estimated 30,000 straps sitting on docks across the network.
•If your location has a heavy inbound operation and there is a bin or pile like this, the SafeStack SME should untangle the straps in the bin/bucket, roll them and send them to the nearest FAC and advise the FAC they are coming.
•When finishing a trailer, make sure there are eight straps hanging on the strap hangers in the trailers.
With full participation, we can ensure all straps in the network are available to secure freight. Securing freight ensures we provide the best service possible to our customers which improves our profitability and increases our VPP!

Ok, who decided that there needs to be 8 straps per trailer!?!?! This is the exact reason why there ends up being a massive pile of blue straps scatterd down the dock and inside trailers. This number (in my opinion) needs to be cut in half. 4 straps is enough, actually more than enough. Extra straps could be kept inside the truck as "back up". Also, "hanging" the straps on the holder does not work, when the trailer hits a bump, they fall off the hanger and onto the floor. This is just my opinion, what do you guys think?

I just read this small article in the monthly e-mail.....

The straps are coming! The straps are coming!
Did you know, since SafeStack launched, we have purchased over 330,000 SafeStack straps which is enough to outfit our entire fleet three times? A recent count determined we now have around 70,000 SafeStack straps currently in circulation. At a cost of over $4 per strap, this equates to over a million dollars in lost straps! We would have to secure approximately 105 million pounds of freight to cover the replacement cost!
On March 12, 2012 110,000 more SafeStack straps will be released into the system. This will assist in the effort to have eight straps on every Con-way Freight trailer.
Do your part!
•If you see a bin or bucket on your dock resembling the pictures shown below, let your SafeStack SME know these bins should be emptied with good straps hung on trailers and damaged straps thrown away! There are an estimated 30,000 straps sitting on docks across the network.
•If your location has a heavy inbound operation and there is a bin or pile like this, the SafeStack SME should untangle the straps in the bin/bucket, roll them and send them to the nearest FAC and advise the FAC they are coming.
•When finishing a trailer, make sure there are eight straps hanging on the strap hangers in the trailers.
With full participation, we can ensure all straps in the network are available to secure freight. Securing freight ensures we provide the best service possible to our customers which improves our profitability and increases our VPP!

Ok, who decided that there needs to be 8 straps per trailer!?!?! This is the exact reason why there ends up being a massive pile of blue straps scatterd down the dock and inside trailers. This number (in my opinion) needs to be cut in half. 4 straps is enough, actually more than enough. Extra straps could be kept inside the truck as "back up". Also, "hanging" the straps on the holder does not work, when the trailer hits a bump, they fall off the hanger and onto the floor. This is just my opinion, what do you guys think?

I have two brand-new straps in my tractor.

Would help if they weren't used to tie around freight to drag out of trailers, once they get a knot in them you cant get it out. Or better yet run over them with a lift and smash the hooks so you cant use them .....Ive seen both those things happen a lot

I usually have to throw away around 2-3/night because they've been run over, they won't tighten, they've been twisted in the catch and won't release no matter how hard you pull on them, etc. Those strap holders definitely don't work. I have to pick up straps off the floor several times a day because they're constantly falling down.

Would help if they weren't used to tie around freight to drag out of trailers, once they get a knot in them you cant get it out. Or better yet run over them with a lift and smash the hooks so you cant use them .....Ive seen both those things happen a lot

It would be nice if we didn't pull so much flatbed freight. How are we supposed to get that stuff out of there?

They decided on 8 straps per trailer because freight is supposed to be secured by a strap every 4ft in the trailer. Don't u all remember that from the Safestack training?? I don't hang the straps on the hangers supplied in the trailer...I clip them into the Safestack rails near the rear of the trailer. Keeps them from falling on the ground when hitting bumps and from dragging on the floor. Due to the latest LEAN program, there are no straps laying on the ground or being damaged @ my terminal. If everyone took a lil pride and was more careful, we wouldn't have to spend millions to replace them. If each driver took a min everyday to take care of a few straps, the Safestack program would be more successful!

I have been told that if a strap is broken in anyway it needs to go back to a service shop for repair, that all straps are repairable. I have cleaned up our dock several times and have shipped boxes of broken straps back to XCN for repair. The holder doesnt work. Hang them up on the last rail in the back of the trailer. 8 is what is required per trailer in our training video.

I have been told that if a strap is broken in anyway it needs to go back to a service shop for repair, that all straps are repairable. I have cleaned up our dock several times and have shipped boxes of broken straps back to XCN for repair. The holder doesnt work. Hang them up on the last rail in the back of the trailer. 8 is what is required per trailer in our training video.

The holder doesn't work because it was invented by somebody with no freight knowledge.....

The holder doesn't work because it was invented by somebody with no freight knowledge.....

actually... an old SCM/LSS Black Belt guy that steered the whole SS system (with lots of freight experience) designed the holder. He now works for the trailer equipment company, it was kind of a "on the job resume".

any suggestions on improving the holders?

How about this. We need more of the tools to lower the bars. Sometimes I have to look in 2 or 3 trailers before I find one. They are put together pretty cheap and the rivets break.

How about this. We need more of the tools to lower the bars. Sometimes I have to look in 2 or 3 trailers before I find one. They are put together pretty cheap and the rivets break.

couldnt agree more, and some are the short version. PITA. As drivers we can still do our part to care a little better for the equipment. And last year they said like 50,000 plus new straps were coming online. I'm sure repairing the straps would be cheaper than buying new ones, i think.

And sometimes the hung straps, snag on the motor or a skid and it just rips the holder off.

actually... an old SCM/LSS Black Belt guy that steered the whole SS system (with lots of freight experience) designed the holder. He now works for the trailer equipment company, it was kind of a "on the job resume".

put a short strip of the rail at the back of the trailer instead of that hook hanger that way the straps will not interfere with the use of the last rail and the clips can be used to hold the straps in-place so they will not or can not fall off when going down the road. They could even be used to hold that last piece of ugly freight up that always seems to end up on the tail.

Stop spending money on the holders. Just clip them to the wall..the holders just cater to the lazy.

I prefer to use a dockhook. I grab the hook end and stick the handle end under the safestack locks and twist to the right a little. Can also be used to push them back up.(they are a little short for some) I keep a hook on my lift at all times so I dont have keep looking for a safestack bar.

I hang the straps on the wall. I fix them high enough where a short person needs help. Like watching short people reach for the straps.