ODFL | Burn out?

FlyByWire

TB Lurker
Credits
You guys ever get burned out? :duh: Ive only been running line for about 6/7 months now, and I think I'm headed back to the city... I feel like I have no life on this schedule... My wife (pregnant!!!) doesnt get to see me damn near ANYtime anymore....

I just hate the thought of losing what little seniority I HAD when I left the city... and having to fight to get hours. :chairshot:

Yes I get burned out. Personally I would say if it conflicts to much with your family life than that is the most important thing. It may be very hard for people especially family to understand why you work from dusk to dawn and need to sleep during their waking hours. Decide what is more important and make the decision. Much of the other burn outs such as working nights, same run over and over, getting sleepy, A**h*** supervisors you might get over with time and seniority. Good luck.

Thanks Sparky. My wife is a very understanding woman, with anything Ive wanted to do. I thought going line would be the best thing for us as far as money goes... But im making just as much, if not LESS than what I was making in the city...

I figure they could train me on the dock, and I could sling freight after a city run if I needed the hours...

I was lucky and worked nights for more than seven years and now have a day run. I volunteer to back up city drivers any time needed and often do. This helps me with the burnout by giving me various duties. I think I make about 50.00 less per week if I keep up a 10 hour day after taxes. My linehaul run is 250 miles

I will keep the less paying city thank you.I do not know how you line driver keep your sanity driving the same road night after night.I enjoy getting out and talking to the customers,makes the day go by faster.

Must agree with ''dmtorl'' .
I ran the road and got sick of it ,
when I went to AF/FXFE I was hired on
as a city driver . I would never go back
we make all our bills fine on 42 hr weeks.
Don't miss your child growing up !
Smokestack

dmtorl said:
I will keep the less paying city thank you.I do not know how you line driver keep your sanity driving the same road night after night.I enjoy getting out and talking to the customers,makes the day go by faster.
You get used to it (linehaul). I agree with you. I have 20 years city and 10 years linehaul. When city driving you have to know how to hit the curve balls and let things roll off your back line haul is much easier. Pickup two boxes deliver two boxes You earn your pay by what it takes out of you and by dealing with the ice and snow Which has not been bad in this area for the last several years.

FlyBY,
I run linehaul during the day, have been for the last year,it sucks.When i worked nights for the previous 5 yrs with od, i was in heaven. I had more time with my family, plenty of time to pay bills etc....I get home about 7:30 pm Mon thru Fri now and after showering, eating, and putting the kids to bed, hell, there's no time for any quality time with the misses...When i worked nights....Yes it sucked, sooooo hard to stay awake, but i was home with the ol' lady more than i am now....Plus , when i got home in the am, i could hook up the boat and go to the river and wet a hook til at least noon.

Gotta love the fishing, snoozing on the boat!!

My problem is that we are expecting our first child in November... I dont think I can be away during the night like that.. My run only pays 193 each way, so I stand to make more money in the city anyway... :(

Fly by,
Do you have the opportunity to work .....lets say , maybe a Saturday every other week?...Does your wife work......?

Im just saying, I am ABLE to spend more quality time with my family working nights than days.

I love being home at 7:30 every night.....but, im not in the best of moods when i get home.

This job will make you an ******* to your family regardless.......Just think about how much time you can spend with you family during the day{your sleep time]...I cant wait til we rebid again...

I run out'a columbia s.c. to morristown and back everyday

I just dont see how you guys do it>>>>>

dmtorl said:
I will keep the less paying city thank you.I do not know how you line driver keep your sanity driving the same road night after night.

Take a different route once in a while. I HAVE to do that to maintain my sanity. Fortunately, I have a run where there's about 6 different ways to get there, and really no need to hurry because I always wind up having to wait 1-2 hours for the switch anyway.

You might try to call central and voice some of your problems. I find if you approach them with a well thought out conversation that they are often very helpful. OD management has always found a solution for me just never expect a fast one. They might be able to place you in the city for a specific time period. You have real problems and a legitimate reason to approach management.

Go out and run team for a few weeks. You'll crawl over broken glass and dog do-do to get your single linehaul run back.

Maybe they should have 1 week additional team trip added to the driving school.:biglaugh: with a real go getter team trainer.:nutkick: I did a 3 day stint KCY DEN LAX SLC DEN KCY nice to visit would not want to do it.:smilie_132:

sparky said:
Maybe they should have 1 week additional team trip added to the driving school.:biglaugh: with a real go getter team trainer.:nutkick: I did a 3 day stint KCY DEN LAX SLC DEN KCY nice to visit would not want to do it.:smilie_132:

Yea, and you can be the trainer that sleeps in the back on a run like that with a new guy!

what took so long

it took you 3 days to go from kc to lax and back, what did you do with all that spare time.
just kidding, our wild driver and i talk every night and discuss how to use your time to make the best money.
be safe out there

sportacus

sportacus said:
it took you 3 days to go from kc to lax and back, what did you do with all that spare time.
just kidding, our wild driver and i talk every night and discuss how to use your time to make the best money.
be safe out there

sportacus

Not sure exactly how many hours just back on the 3rd day. Short stop at the V River both ways and 2 to 4 hours waiting in LAX there was no RTO terminal than. I am ahead at the V River. Might have got 6 hours total sleep just could not get used to it the team driver I was with wanted me to go on to COH but I was exhausted.:duh:

Beeman said:
Yea, and you can be the trainer that sleeps in the back on a run like that with a new guy!
You could use him as a slave. After all he has to learn all the ropes:Bondage: