ODFL | calling in due to poor weather

TB Lurker
Credits
anybody know the rules for this, i try not to unless its really bad, but this winter is killing me. i made the call to cut my run short once, got sent home once, run cancelled once, and called in last night mostly due to feeling like crap, but the freezing rain sealed the deal. wife told me she wouldn't be able to sleep if i was out.

anybody know the rules for this, i try not to unless its really bad, but this winter is killing me. I made the call to cut my run short once, got sent home once, run cancelled once, and called in last night mostly due to feeling like crap, but the freezing rain sealed the deal. Wife told me she wouldn't be able to sleep if i was out.

do u have any sick days? If u call in sick and u have sick days available then whats the problem?

I do, but wasn't planning on using one. I figure it's my license, so it should be my call if I run in crap weather or not. Just wondering if anyone caught any trouble over it

You might feel some pressure over the tone of the other person's voice on the phone, but stick to your decision. You know what's best, not junior who just got out of college still living at home with their parents. I know some of the newer guys will feel pressured, but when you do stuff you shouldn't just to impress the boss, you may just end up losing your job getting into a situation you shouldn't of driven into.

Just remember your the Man behind the wheel not them, you make the choice....The weather will take your life away...

I agree that final decision should be the drivers,however we've had drivers call-off on the slightest chance of bad weather not weather actually happening,my personal policy is to run unless roads are closed or snow or ice is accumulating at my out time,too often we've had testicularly challenged drivers call-off on a forecast that just didn't materialize,not only cancelling their run but cancelling the next guy further down the line,thats bad enough but if they call-off enough for weather that didn't happen sooner or later Central or regional dispatch is no longer going to allow us to make these decisions like some of our competetors.

They are pretty good about the whole weather situation in my region. If its too bad they cancel the runs, or they let you make the call. I have heard guys complain that it wasn't that bad and they wanted to run when the decision was made to shut down.

They are pretty good about the whole weather situation in my region. If its too bad they cancel the runs, or they let you make the call. I have heard guys complain that it wasn't that bad and they wanted to run when the decision was made to shut down.

Here out west we run, A few weeks ago we had a MASSIVE storm predicted and it came and came hard. Most of the other companies canceled their lines for that night but not OD, let’s run and let’s have guys stay out overnight because they ran out of hours, Friday night too. If the road is open you are going, if it is closed then wait for it to open and stay at the hotel if you have to, that’s how the management does it over here.

What p-o's me is the driver's who call in even if they call for it.We have several who sitting on big safety bonus's every year&they are the sameone's who never show up for work if it's just the chance.I understand there side.But......

What p-o's me is the driver's who call in even if they call for it.We have several who sitting on big safety bonus's every year&they are the sameone's who never show up for work if it's just the chance.I understand there side.But......

Less days at work, less days to mess up and grab that big check!! If some of those guys are holding onto 4-5 weeks vacation, winter is a good time to use them.

Also,combo guy's who never drive&they get p-o'd if they are ask'd to drive..But,they are the first for there safety check.I do think OD need's to change there policy on the safety bonus program.I think that City&linehaul should be seperate.Has a city driver I put myself into alot more dangerous area's&alot more skill in working&backing to dock's all day long.I think weather&how you call in should be consider'd in program.Just not fair for the one's who work&really earn the money.Just saying

Never an issue on weather in 7 years with dispatch. If road was open, I went. Quit running (when wild) through no where country when trucks were made not to idle when REAL crap was hitting. Spend 18 hrs sitting in middle of Wyoming I-80, behind accident pile up in blizzard conditions in sub zero temps. Bumping foot feed. If not allowed an idling truck, didn't push it. Company choice, not mine. BLU also, has changed my attitude, if there is no relief, not camping in tractor. OD shuts me down, or shortens my night now. Will push through if possible, yet usually only happens on last leg home anymore, PAR pays close attention to weather in our region, wont intentionally put driver in bad spot. If questionable, driver's choice. I keep night bag and survival kit in truck, so gotta keep them TUL and WIC drivers busy. And long as good barbeque is available. LOL

Maybe I'm becoming a dinosaur,but even though I have a turn run I still pack a toothbrush and a change of underwear,there's been times when I've reached the drop yard and didn't have enough HOS to make it back home I make the decision to motel there or just push on to DEN(another 3 1/4 hours)for a few more miles and a much nicer motel.We have drivers that just gnash their teeth and wring hands if they think they're gonna have to spend a day out and take one for the team,frankly listening to the whining of a guy making almost six figures to drive a truck just annoys the hell out of me.As I was told many years ago when I was upset about something that didn't go my way"Thats trucking son".

Like said, never an issue with Central Dispatch if conditions went to heck. Guess it was reputation of willing to run, especially weekends and all regions. Best one ever, called prior to going to motel and plugging tractor in. "Heh, it's -30 and will be around -45 by morning, tractor's not going to start if not able to idle, just letting you know" Sure as heck, fuel fine, everything else froze solid, Road Rescue, towed to heated shop and 9 hours later, I can go trucking. Locals shook head at non idling tractors. Terminal had either idling tractors, or tarps and portable heaters. Gotta be aware of your conditions. If your dispatch/management lives where only a few days below freezing a year, can't comprehend, don't take it personal, try to pass on knowledge, and how national policy effects your operating and added extreme long term costs. Always had authority to make assigned tractor idle after that in winter. Some who go everywhere, never know where will end up.

Also,combo guy's who never drive&they get p-o'd if they are ask'd to drive..But,they are the first for there safety check.I do think OD need's to change there policy on the safety bonus program.I think that City&linehaul should be seperate.Has a city driver I put myself into alot more dangerous area's&alot more skill in working&backing to dock's all day long.I think weather&how you call in should be consider'd in program.Just not fair for the one's who work&really earn the money.Just saying

I gotta disagree with you on that one... Yes you do a lot more backing than a line driver, but if you are being a professional, going slow, making sure you have room/space (goal) then you're not going to hit anything backing up. I feel ya because I've done city work, but if you're doing your job you'll earn that bonus just like a line driver who puts in way more miles a day on the highway.

Maybe I'm becoming a dinosaur,but even though I have a turn run I still pack a toothbrush and a change of underwear,there's been times when I've reached the drop yard and didn't have enough HOS to make it back home I make the decision to motel there or just push on to DEN(another 3 1/4 hours)for a few more miles and a much nicer motel.We have drivers that just gnash their teeth and wring hands if they think they're gonna have to spend a day out and take one for the team,frankly listening to the whining of a guy making almost six figures to drive a truck just annoys the hell out of me.As I was told many years ago when I was upset about something that didn't go my way"Thats trucking son".

My dad told me when I started in this business that you never make plans and you always expect the worst.

:ShakeHandsNah:
I gotta disagree with you on that one... Yes you do a lot more backing than a line driver, but if you are being a professional, going slow, making sure you have room/space (goal) then you're not going to hit anything backing up. I feel ya because I've done city work, but if you're doing your job you'll earn that bonus just like a line driver who puts in way more miles a day on the highway.