ODFL | calling in due to poor weather

Have a little fun guys. For those who served, remember the give and take during down time or after being ordered to hurry and gear up, and then waited around for hours, only to stand down. .

if you think backing to a customer's dock is hard, try moving around some of our older, smaller yards with a set, just wasting time trying to find a place to break it, while 30 other weeners are doing the same thing. i've done both, as well as otr, p&d is G.R.A.V.Y. i'm only doing line haul for the consistent schedule and the big bucks, other than that, you can have it

Well, Roads clear here, yet ice 30 miles south to PAR, TOLD we are not running tonight. Reason I work for OD. I would have fired up and went, as always, then would haved cussed my mother for raising such a stupid son. Told PAR dispatch would run tomorrow when ok to go is approved. Sorry WIC, can't feed you tonight. Been doing that about 80%, if not going to SPM to get relays for West runners. TUL only once in awhile lately. Headed to Papa John's.

Winter weather warnings at my first stop in RKI, "only travel in emergencies", but nothing here so I'm headed out. We shall see what the night brings

Still waiting for road to clear south of here, freezing drizzle still showing on radar 50 miles south. If not today, will roll tomorrow. Cleared snow, went to indoor gun range, (really busy) now make big pot of homemade soup. If out at permanent home (180 miles west) would be in shop building or destroying something on a day like this.

anybody know the rules for this, i try not to unless its really bad, but this winter is killing me. i made the call to cut my run short once, got sent home once, run cancelled once, and called in last night mostly due to feeling like crap, but the freezing rain sealed the deal. wife told me she wouldn't be able to sleep if i was out.

You have legal rights to refuse driving in bad weather. You must meet certain criteria. Google the STAA act. This is know for The Surface Transportation Assistance act.

Never had an issue, after last couple shut downs per dispatch/ management, believe they would rather be cautious, than tear up equipment and endanger drivers or public. Seen a dispatcher dressed down and demoted by terminal manager 4 years ago for sending drivers into known bad weather and getting them stranded. Central/regional shortened my dispatch many times due to weather in a region about to be sent. Just because I'm stupid, doesn't mean you have to be. Go with gut and experience.

use8ahet.jpg

Found this on Facebook on cdl life this was taken on i20 in Texas yesterday looks like the driver went for a little ride on the ice

use8ahet.jpg

Found this on Facebook on cdl life this was taken on i20 in Texas yesterday looks like the driver went for a little ride on the ice
:1sm057crazy:God was with him on that ride. Glad he is all right, tractor and sets are all upright.:shift: We all have our days on the snow and ice this year, the weather is in a different winter pattern, a lot more down in the South. Driver's be careful this winter, we need you alive and your family needs you to. I know you all know this, but If the road condition :TR10driving03:0610 that bad, shut it down and get a safe place to park. You are the boss behind that wheel not OD, you know the driving condition in this weather. Your safety is number one, family,:grouphug:safety to others out on the road and OD is last. Have a "Safe Trip"!!!! :usa:

Last edited by a moderator:
I struggled through ky and southern il on 24 headed to St. Louis last night only to be short on hours to make it. Had to shut down in Okawville IL. Yesterday was the first day I wished I could rip the blu out of the dash.

I am, got pretty hairy for a while, and as much as I wanted to get home, I shut it down in RKI and hit the hotel. No sense in putting it in a ditch, not making it home and losing my job

A real great guy out of IND did just what you said 2 weeks ago on his way to RKI and he lost his job. He is in the process of an appeal, however I'm glad you mentioned this. I hope it makes others think. We are not force dispatched, and if you ever feel that you are, remember YOU have the final say. Safety is top priority. Let's not forget that.

Well, always been, if road is open, I go. Well, OD policy/mentality has become, find safe harbor and shut it down last couple years. It's hard in no where land, plus we all know this equipment gets stuck easily if taken off highway. No idling tractors and BLU make for quicker choices now if not wanting to get stranded in bad spot. As already commented before, in our area, shut down by dispatch comes quick. Yes, at first, their has been grumbling, "I can Make it" We are blessed in our area that there is a terminal within 150 miles of each other. Back when running wild, know this can suck in certain regions, notified Central and pulled into other service centers in route, do know that is not always an option. Been stuck in a parking lot foot idling, or tramping long distance to warm place to stay, then getting dug out after storm. Stay safe.

We all know to, yet do you carry a camp out pack/gym bag? Old habit, even when traveling in personal vehicle. 1st aide kit, MRE's/canned food, water, any meds/vitamins, change of under wear/shorts, reading material. Stove-n-Can. Goes in year round. Got hit by 4 different drunks last year. 2 times got stopped before impact, 1 smacked front trailer, 1 rear ended. Twice didn't make it back home. Plus break down.