Career Ending Operation???

Why couldn't you self certify as a intrastate driver? That's what people who have CDLs, but don't have them downgraded do. My dad has a CDL hasn't driven in 20 years he just certifies as basically a non medical card carrying CDL holder. Of course I think the writing on the wall with that is, one of those if you don't use it you lose it type deals and I bet in the next couple of years it will either be you have a medical card or you don't and if you don't you're CDL is done.

Hi Mike, when you posted this at or about 8 PM Sunday night, I was watching HBO. This morning (Monday 4/20/15), I sent a rather lengthy email to the 2 lawyers that do the law column in the LandLine magazine, for the OOIDA. As a member and in the past, when ever I emailed them, they got back to me. Here it is now after 12:30 PM, I still do not have an answer however, but I highly suspect that my email wasn't the only one.

I really was thinking about just self certifying as intrastate exempt. I just needed to know however if I can go from Interstate, down to that, and still keep the CDL "active". I was "wondering" the questioning (Spanish Inquisition) at the DMV as to why I would be switching. Knowing now that your dad has done this, at least now I have something to work with, rather than to go for the DOT physical and get medically disqualified.

I think my driving days are over frankly, but knowing my shyte luck, things could turn around and I return to work, in a few months from now, and I may be going back on the road.

But I am also VERY close to retirement, so soon enough I'll be tossing the CDL back at them for a regular driver's license, whether I can return to work ever again, or not.

Thanks for telling me about your dad's doing this!

I had to give mine up since I couldn't pass the physical. Indiana passed a law a few years ago that says you have to always have a active physical to keep your CDL, and if you don't keep it active then you are driving on a suspended license until you get an active physical or get a regular license.

wow........just wow.......

did you tell your attorney as to the quack's treatment of you......?? or any medical review board.......??

did you hire an under age girl to scream ****.....??

Ok, that's way out there, but payback can be a biotch.......

Yea my attorney knows how bad it was. I met a lady who is and insurance adjuster for a national company and we got to talking about my back and she asked who my Dr. is and even apologized when I said his name. She didn't have anything to do with my case but we just got to talking one day at the office of where I am a Realtor at. The good thing is the Dr. is no longer doing any surgery but he is still the initial reports for work comp.

I had to give mine up since I couldn't pass the physical. Indiana passed a law a few years ago that says you have to always have a active physical to keep your CDL, and if you don't keep it active then you are driving on a suspended license until you get an active physical or get a regular license.

That means you could not self certify as intrastate exempt..?????

Update, April 23, 2015

this from Mike J, below, my response later:

Why couldn't you self certify as a intrastate driver? That's what people who have CDLs, but don't have them downgraded do. My dad has a CDL hasn't driven in 20 years he just certifies as basically a non medical card carrying CDL holder. Of course I think the writing on the wall with that is, one of those if you don't use it you lose it type deals and I bet in the next couple of years it will either be you have a medical card or you don't and if you don't you're CDL is done.

Ok, bad news from my DMV.

I cannot self certify as Intrastate excepted, unless I am a city, town, state or federal employee.

I have an active class A CDL, I must have a medical card.

Here is what happened.

I went to my DMV with the form pre-filled out.

I went up to the counter when my number was called.

The gal said "let me see your health card", I said, "Well, I'm retired, I just want to keep my CDL till it expires".
( I didn't know what else to say)

she said that by me self certifying as either of these 2, I am a fore said employee.

Here are the 2 if I self certify, I must be city, town, state, federal employee:

1) Interstate excepted: you are an interstate excepted driver and do not have to meet the federal DOT medical card requirements.

2) Intrastate excepted" you are an intrastate excepted driver and do not have to meet the medical requirements for your state.

SO to MikeJ, was your dad a city, town, state, or federal employee?

If so, this is why he could do what he did.

SO now, what if I had actually gone along with this deal..??

would my state question me as to why one time, I need a medical card, and now I don;t, and if so, what branch of what city, town, state or federal government do I currently work for?

What are the chances that the DMV actually DOES a check on me to confirm this????

so now, I am back to square number 1......

Current DOT expires early/mid June.

Take the DOT and hope to pass, but make it difficult to maybe get on disability later?

Take the DOT and fail due to my back at it's current condition now, but later, told I CAN go back to work, but now my CDL would have been down graded and God only knows the shyte my state will put me thru to get it back...????

SO thanks to MikeJ, but no thanks, doesn't work here.

If I knew my future, I'd know what to do, but I do not know the future, and don't know what to do.

Ohio might be different a tad then Boston, when they sent out the mailer early this year there was a box for like non active CDL holders where you certified that you had one, but didn't use and because of that didn't need a medical card. The whole thing is beyond confusing with federal laws and state laws and nobody knows what to believe. Heck the people at the DMV don't even know the rules half the time, you can walk into one DMV and get one answer and walk into another and get another answer.

Ohio might be different a tad then Boston, when they sent out the mailer early this year there was a box for like non active CDL holders where you certified that you had one, but didn't use and because of that didn't need a medical card. The whole thing is beyond confusing with federal laws and state laws and nobody knows what to believe. Heck the people at the DMV don't even know the rules half the time, you can walk into one DMV and get one answer and walk into another and get another answer.

Yeah, no such "self certification" exists here in RI. So your dad and many others in your state as well as some other more prudent states than this "EFFED UP" state of mine. It's all about the money, the fee's, the taxes my state can squeeze out of us.

So, as I say, I am in a quandary of thoughts.

I will speak with my attorney next week in court. I go back (again) next week for either the judge to lay down the law to the insurance company for my next operation, or the judge orders up a court ordered IME for me, then from there, the notes will be compared, and he makes a decision about my back.

Oh great, I am still in constant pain, and I gotta have a judge decide how to live my life???????

And yeah by the way, i would have been going insane calling my DMV. as you say you get one answer, wait 5 minutes, talk to someone else, get 6 more answers.

So going there was best, yet the bad news.

what do I do?

give up my CDL now?

Let the DOT car expire, and be down graded?

and so on and so forth.

this is why no one is lending too many opinions....

no one else knows.

well, it'll certainly be a learning experience for every one, for what I am going through.

I'll see what my lawyer says next week when I talk with him, regarding my DOT physical, etc.etc.

Last edited:
Yeah #4 exactly that's what my pops certifies as.
It's absolutely amazing how each state has the federal guideline, but does it their own way. What effing difference would it really make if say (for me) I want to hold onto my CDL till it expires, then turn it in?

Money, fee's, that's the difference.

I am thinking now, I might as well get a physical, to do away with my state's BS. I still have this much needed second operation to go thru yet, and I can still be not able to pass yet another DOT physical when that times comes. But , I dunno.

I want it to be a cold day in hell, before I "donate" any more money to my state. Bunch of political thugs.

UPDATE: April 28, 2015

I go to W/C court this morning. My lawyer says that as of yesterday, he still hadn't received any IME report form the insurance company doctor, a clear violation or the law here in my state. .( And I should point out that by law, I too was to receive a copy of the IME report.)

Now today's court visit can do one of 2 things

One, make the insurance company pay for the operation as they have violated state laws for not responding by the deadline

Two, the judge can order up a court appointed IME doctor that I will have to go to. From there, results can be determined as to any more operations for me. My lawyer has told me (and I did personally witness this last time in court), that the judge I will be going up to, is for the law and the injured worker's rights. He takes no shame in yelling at the insurance company lawyers. Quite funny too, when he threw out a lawyer from some other case, my last time there.

I'll update later

UPDATE: April 28th 2015

Ok, at court this morning, my lawyer and the other side's lawyer agreed to another IME. So the judge tells me that the reports go to the new IME doctor, then that doctor sends them back to the judge, and judge calls my lawyer with I guess to be yet another court date(??) on his decision.
I had to also go back to the MRI place, and get a copy of the original MRI i had back in May of last year, for the new IME doctor.

This next IME can be done sometime in June now.

I am now trying to find the doctor on the web. I forgot the way to spell it.

My lawyer also said that yes, I am between a rock and a hard place, regarding any DOT exam right now, and it's a decision I got to make on my own, and risk anything that might happen.

So, if to only save my CDL for an unknown future, I will most likely get a DOT physical soon.

Freaking unbelievable update, May 6th, 2015:

I had to go to my urologist for my ultra sound on my kidneys. I really cannot remember if i had one done last year, due to my back surgery, otherwise i get one a year.

Short story of this, I got a call from the doctor's office, just about 1 hour after I left there. So the old saying is true, if everything is ok, they do not call....

well, i was told by the nurse, i have a stone that measures 2.4 centimeters. I have tried and tried to look that up, what IS 2.4 centimeters, closest i can find is that it is nearly the size of a quarter..?????

if anyone knows, please let me know..???

anyway, i just minutes ago, emailed my lawyer. sometime in June..?? I am supposed to be going for the court ordered IME.

I wanted him to have a heads up about this, as not to blind side him last minute.

my dad says that i might be in the tank, and get shock waved to blast the stone..??

in any event, i go back to the urologist Friday (the 8th) to meet with him.

ain't life grand.............?????

thing too...??

I feel NOTHING...!!

no pain, other than the usual back pain, (which as you all know, I need that second operation), no radiation of pain to my front. I pee ok, the nurse told me there is a blockage??
and that my kidney is dilated..?? whatever that means..??

she would not be too specific, which pissed (no pun intended) me off.....

question, could the meds i am on/were on cause a stone..??

oxycodone, hydrocodone, cyclobenzaprine, naproxen, tramadol.

of course i will bring a list of those meds to the doctor Friday.

yep, life is grand..

thanks in advance to any respondent(s)

UPDATE, May 11, 2015:

the urologist is sending me for a CAT scan Tuesday the 12th. He told me it's a good sized stone, and there is a blockage. I have absolutely no pains, no discomfort. I emailed my attorney to give him a heads up of what is going on now, and will keep him informed. I think this week, in fact, it may be on the 12th, both lawyers go up to the judge with the medical records, and from there, he appoints the IME doctor. I was told, it could take another 1 to 2 weeks for that letter from the court to come in. I was also told that I do not have to be at the court for the medical records and court appointed IME to be set up.

as far as I was able to find on a google search, is that the2.4 cm is nearly equivalent to the size 3/8 inch..??

but dammit, one website says that, another shows a penny.>???

Oh well.

Last edited:
UPDATE May 12, 2015:

Well got the CT scan done (on the kidneys). After that, I had some errands to run. Got home to a fully lit up answering machine. One of the messages was now I need to get an x-ray on my kidneys. Why wasn't that ordered up the other day even if only as a precaution?????

And I still wait for the second IME to happen.

God only knows the BS with that coming up.

Pro1,
Along with kantgetryte I've, to me best recollection, never had a Kidney Stone, I have only the information of others that have passed such at varying dimensions. Women as well have them and they're just as painful. If it's relative to a penny, it would be painful enough and a quarter as well would need be broken down before exiting. Either size will be a problem and even small bits will be like kantgetryte stated.
I would not be surprised that medications, and combinations of, could cause development of Kidney Stones since other illicit drug usages have caused such.

Hoping you receive some relief as well with your back (and other issues).
CHEERS!!

And I thought my life sucked! I've heard passing kidney stones is like passing shards of glass-best of luck with all the b.s. being thrown your way
Pro1,
Along with kantgetryte I've, to me best recollection, never had a Kidney Stone, I have only the information of others that have passed such at varying dimensions. Women as well have them and they're just as painful. If it's relative to a penny, it would be painful enough and a quarter as well would need be broken down before exiting. Either size will be a problem and even small bits will be like kantgetryte stated.
I would not be surprised that medications, and combinations of, could cause development of Kidney Stones since other illicit drug usages have caused such.

Hoping you receive some relief as well with your back (and other issues).
CHEERS!!

thank you Cerb. And to kantgetryte, in the past, I have indeed shot out the precursors to stones, and those were crystal's, and YES, they are like shards of glass. What I had told the doctor, that the potassium citrate I have been on for years now, was supposed to stop the formation of the crystal's, then of course, no stones.

it can be certainly a combo of things, but we cannot narrow it down. I see that urologist in June. I take the CT scan CD with me, and I am supposed to be going for an xray(s) as well, when that order comes in the mail.

as for the back problem(s), I still wait from the court, to go see the court appointed IME doctor. I was told (back then) by my lawyer, that can be as far into June as well.

thanks guys.

Update: June 1, 2015

Well this is an update for the kidney situation. The doctor viewed the CT scan. Yes I have one HUGE stone at 2.4 cm.

But he also saw 6 more stones, much smaller. He is amazed that I am in no pain. then he see's a massive cyst on the same kidney. Years ago, a cyst was found and I had a CT scan back then as well, with contrast" (or dye).

The cyst that was discovered back then, was called a "complex renal cyst", some are caner and some are not. I am lucky as back then, it was not cancer. This new growth has me concerned, but apparently not my doctor, so for the time being I am breathing a bit easy.

The doctor told me of 2 ways to rid the kidney stones.

One is to blast them, the other is to insert a needle in me and suck them out.

BUT the doctor cannot do anything right now, as I still await the court appointed IME to take place.

Then a possible operation. The urologist does not want to do anything as it may interfere with the neurosurgeon's procedure because if the urologist inserts the needle (as an example) there will be urine around the area and that wouldn't be any good. (at least some explanation like that), Frankly once I saw the HUGE mass on the kidney and the additional stones, I pretty much went into shut down mode.

And all this of course, is even IF I get the go ahead for the needed back surgery.

that's about it for now I guess.

and to think, just this morning I sent off a letter and a package of string bean seeds which are total duds. none of them germinated, and of course, none started growing. I just wanted the company to know about the dud seeds.

sees like now, that was the least of my "major" problem's.

UPDATE June 11th, 2015

I finally got the letter in today's mail, regarding me to go for the court appointed IME exam.

I go the first week in July.

According to the letter, all I have to do is show up on time, and bring an ID, nothing else, as that doctor should have everything he needs.

My lawyer did tell me several weeks ago to take along a copy of the original MRI which I had to get a copy of that from the MRI place.

I just sent him (my lawyer) an email telling him I got the letter, and when he get's his copy, I do not know, maybe today as well?

Last we were in court, was April 28th, one of my updates. Been since that day waiting for this IME to take place.