Yellow | CDL Requirements at Roadway Express for Coo.

rdwy nc

TB Lurker
Credits
I work as a dock worker at Roadway Express, Kernersville, N.C., Terminal #671.
Concerning the coo on June,15, 2008.
I talked to my local union business agent yesterday, and I found out that if a person wishes to transfer to Memphis, Tn., Knoxville, Tn., Richmond, Va., Newburgh, N.Y., for the coo, they must possess a CDL to be permitted to transfer.
St. Louis is the only barn that you do not have to have a cdl to transfer. Roadway will provide training for those teamsters wishing to obtain a cdl. St. Louis only has twelve dock positions available.
I am starting to wander if these coos are a way for the co. to get rid of teamsters who do not posssess CDL's? Sincerely, No Cdl in N.C.

I work as a dock worker at Roadway Express, Kernersville, N.C., Terminal #671.
Concerning the coo on June,15, 2008.
I talked to my local union business agent yesterday, and I found out that if a person wishes to transfer to Memphis, Tn., Knoxville, Tn., Richmond, Va., Newburgh, N.Y., for the coo, they must possess a CDL to be permitted to transfer.
St. Louis is the only barn that you do not have to have a cdl to transfer. Roadway will provide training for those teamsters wishing to obtain a cdl. St. Louis only has twelve dock positions available.
I am starting to wander if these coos are a way for the co. to get rid of teamsters who do not posssess CDL's? Sincerely, No Cdl in N.C.

How can this be a way for the company to get rid of teamsters without a cdl, if, they are offering to train non cdl employees in order to obtain cdl qualification???

what if you cant pass the dot physcial. no cdl no transfer?

Mustache I think you are right. In Missouri you don't have to have the medical card to to recieve your CDL you just have to have it to drive. So if it's the same where you are or are going just get the CDL which is the only thing they are asking for. And like Amino said how are they getting rid of non-cdl teamsters if they are providing them the opportunity to get one on the company's dime?

I think what he's saying is St. Louis is the only terminal offering training if you transfer and don't have a CDL.

The way I understand it is that you will be trained at your home terminal and the company must complete your training within 60 days. If 26 dock guys at 671 want to transfer, RDWY will have to buy a truck driving training center!!

I say everyone should sign up!! Oh yea and give me my $250, please. DS.

All 671 guys..........

There has been a union notice posted about meetings concerning the COO, for this week. They will be Wednesday-Friday at the union hall.

I would suggest if you can't be there and have questions, get them to your shop steward. DS.

get the cdl it's worth it. it's like the golden ticket. you never know what can happen plus you get free trainning from roadway save 3 grand for a school.

nysdmv

I beleave you may have a CDL with a Medical Problem, You just can't "DRIVE" without a Current MEDICAL Card! Please Correct me if i'm wrong.

I just looked this up online and you need a medical card to get your CDL, sorry

I just looked this up online and you need a medical card to get your CDL, sorry

If you looked this up online, please post the link. As I remember correctly, you did not need a medical card to get a CDL. The CDL was required to get yourself an opportunity to find a job. Once you went to apply for a job, you would then need a current medical card, whether paid by the company or on your dime. When I went to apply at Roadway, after Preston closed, even though I had a CDL with current medical card, they still sent me for a DOT Physical and new card.

When I first got my CDL, I applied for work at Metrotech, (they supply all the McDonalds in my area).
They too sent me for a DOT physical at their expense.

This seems like putting the cart before the horse. What good is a medical card, without the CDL?
But, you can always get a medical card , once you have a CDL.

Here in Mich I had to show Secretary of State clerk my valid Medical Cert to renew my Cdl last March. Did'nt ask any questions about why, That's the extent of my knowledge.:shrug:

Animo, i think that changed several years ago, but it depends on which state your in, Minnesota you don't need a healthcard for license except to keep hazmat on license, Indiana you need healthcard for license period. I've known people on deaths door that passed the med test and known people in fine health that suddenly couldn't pass, I think coworkers use it however they want too.

If you looked this up online, please post the link. As I remember correctly, you did not need a medical card to get a CDL. The CDL was required to get yourself an opportunity to find a job. Once you went to apply for a job, you would then need a current medical card, whether paid by the company or on your dime. When I went to apply at Roadway, after Preston closed, even though I had a CDL with current medical card, they still sent me for a DOT Physical and new card.

When I first got my CDL, I applied for work at Metrotech, (they supply all the McDonalds in my area).
They too sent me for a DOT physical at their expense.

This seems like putting the cart before the horse. What good is a medical card, without the CDL?
But, you can always get a medical card , once you have a CDL.

Found this for the State of Mo. Missouri CDL - Commercial Drivers License - FAQs. See #2 Under Eligibility.

Mustache Retired Roadway:smilie_132:

Found this for the State of Mo. Missouri CDL - Commercial Drivers License - FAQs. See #2 Under Eligibility.

Ok guys, this is what I found.
2. You must be physically capable of obtaining a valid medical examiner's card (before taking any CDL skills test).

I also checked the NY State page and it says the same thing. Kind of like a Catch-22. You must be capable, it doesn't say, you must possess a valid medical card. But I guess if we read between the lines......
I will call my DMV tomorrow and get the full scoop, if I can.

Maybe that is new because I didn't have my card before I got my CDL. In fact Roadway sent me to driving school without it and they had to fax the school a copy of it before I could drive. I didn't actually get the card until 2 weeks after I finished up the school and was back at work.

But that link still doesn't say that you have to have a medical card just that you must be able to get one.

Here at 211 you must pass dot physical before training.

If you mean training on the job, that is standard practice. We are talking about needing the medical card before getting a cdl. My best take on this, is, if true, you would probably need to get the medical card on your own dime, because I can't think of any company that would cover the cost if you weren't already cdl qualified.