ABF | Cell phone ELD

Got it, a little semantic confusion. Of course the sender unit is the technical ELD and the handheld is just the display/portal/human interface. I guess we've all been using ELD terminology generically for the most part. So basically your system is similar to the one we had at Yellow it seems. I guess I was confused by the comments earlier where drivers took their handhelds to the motel. I guess I don't understand why that would be a problem. If a P&D driver wanted to use that tractor while the road driver was sleeping I believe the P&D driver could release the road driver from the tractor link (if the road driver hadn't already done so) and log himself to that tractor for his own use. Am I missing something here? Or are you perhaps saying a specific handheld is linked to one specific tractor? Just trying to learn something here.
When they take the handheld to the hotel, there is no way to log into the truck to display the information from the ELD. Hence, terminals are asking guys to use their cellphones has the portal. The reason some guys are complaining. Me I just go to another truck and take the handheld out of that one. It doesn’t really help the next driver of that truck but you got to do what you got to do.

When they take the handheld to the hotel, there is no way to log into the truck to display the information from the ELD. Hence, terminals are asking guys to use their cellphones has the portal. The reason some guys are complaining. Me I just go to another truck and take the handheld out of that one. It doesn’t really help the next driver of that truck but you got to do what you got to do.
I guess this varies Terminal to Terminal...when we first got these we were told they are assigned to us...I'm happy with this setup as we also run the city app simultaneously on the same handheld, so we take them into customers on pickups and deliveries to scan bar codes and get signatures...I keep mine clean and I am happy I'm not sharing it with others...

I guess this varies Terminal to Terminal...when we first got these we were told they are assigned to us...I'm happy with this setup as we also run the city app simultaneously on the same handheld, so we take them into customers on pickups and deliveries to scan bar codes and get signatures...I keep mine clean and I am happy I'm not sharing it with others...
I wish we had one assigned to us. I think it would make everything a lot simpler and everyone responsible for themselves….

I wish we had one assigned to us. I think it would make everything a lot simpler and everyone responsible for themselves….
OK, now I think I understand. In your environment the handheld is semi-permanently linked to a specific tractor. At Yellow the handhelds were assigned semi-permanently to individual road drivers. We then linked to the tractor under our loads on the ready line when we started the tractors there in preperation for our trip. On occasion, if the previously assigned driver to that tractor didn't log off without "releasing" that tractor I could over ride him and link myself to that tractor for my trip. That's why I couldn't quite understand the issue of your driver going to the motel with the handheld.

I've used my cell phone many times at Yellow when no company ELD was available for some reason. I downloaded the app which connects to the tractor computer via Bluetooth. Even produced the info from the phone at a NY State Police roadside inspection. No issues.
Weekdays the app

Why anyone would want to spend the time transcribing to paper what they've done for the past 8 days is beyond me. You can't simply leave the terminal with that calendar day's log.

Yes I would. The company needs to supply the equipment needed to do the job properly. When you start using your own phone, tools, whatever then they’re going to start expecting that you do that all the time.
OK, not a problem, we see this issue differently. I don't see where the occasional, voluntary use of my phone is something to make a big deal about. There are bigger fish to fry IMHO. :1036316054:

You’re right it’s a 15% no problem, how’s that work on out giving concessions that have no right to be tabled
My friend, if you equate the occasional use of a cell phone as ELD (which actually makes my day easier) to a 15% pay concession then maybe you're the problem. Have a nice day picking the fly ::shit:: out of the pepper. :smile new:

PS - We Teamsters are down to two smaller players in the LTL arena that at one time we used to dominate. Let's do everything we can to even destroy that. :duh:

In Denver they are short so they have to check their handhelds in and out every shift they still run out. That's for city

OK, not a problem, we see this issue differently. I don't see where the occasional, voluntary use of my phone is something to make a big deal about. There are bigger fish to fry IMHO. :1036316054:
How about Arc Best and Queen Judy opt to acquire more equipment with that bonus money... And cut everyone a check for their cell bill.