Yellow | Cell Phones

willzzpdx

TB Lurker
Credits
Here in the POR terminal, we received a bulletin concerning Cell Phones
1. Cell Phones, that there are supposed to be NO cell phones on a person working, the dock, hostling, or driving a Yellow Tractor.
And they put some kind of bs concerning this not being a work rule, that it's company policy, so the Union has no say.

Anyone other terminals get this bulletin, or are we special? ED?!

NO GOBBLERS!!

This is something that is news to us here in TX. We have a different problem concerning cell phones at our terminal, and many others may have the same problem and not know it.

We have several city drivers that have given their cell #s to customers, and the customers call that driver for freight pickup instead of calling the cust. serv. center.

The driver is working, getting freight picked up, while other drivers are being dispatched to another area, since the company thinks there is no work in that area. It is a simple case of that driver looking out for #1, and no one else.

I wonder how long they will continue to do this, and screw over a driver with seniority rights.

I work for Holland (YRCW Regional) and they told us that quite a while ago. They even tried to get us to sign off that we acknowledged the new company rules. Most of us signed under post then signed our name. It is funny though when their Nextel’s won’t work they call you on your cell!!!

A company I used to work for (RED STAR) asked for our cell numbers and a few guys gave them up but not me. Anyway the company used to call road men in the middle of their trips and change their dispatches. This only got to be a problem when a few of the :butt kiss:'s got their turn dispatches turned into sleeps. Forcing extra board men not to work. When a grievance was filed the companys point of view was "well we needed the loads here instead of where they were being relayed to". Needless to say we lost the grievances at Eastern region hearings.This was well and good until it became a habit with dispatch then turn guys started crying about being forced out on sleeps. Now you can guess the rest of the story.It became past practice and we had no legs to stand on. Thanks to the greedy.

My understanding of Yellow's policy on cell phones is that you can't use it while you're driving. In my opinion, there are way too many drivers who use their cell phones (with no ear piece) while behind the wheel. It's bad enough with people in cars doing it.

Pogo had it right!

A company I used to work for (RED STAR) asked for our cell numbers and a few guys gave them up but not me. Anyway the company used to call road men in the middle of their trips and change their dispatches. This only got to be a problem when a few of the :butt kiss:'s got their turn dispatches turned into sleeps. Forcing extra board men not to work. When a grievance was filed the companys point of view was "well we needed the loads here instead of where they were being relayed to". Needless to say we lost the grievances at Eastern region hearings.This was well and good until it became a habit with dispatch then turn guys started crying about being forced out on sleeps. Now you can guess the rest of the story.It became past practice and we had no legs to stand on. Thanks to the greedy.
Drivers always seem to be their own worst enemy. :chairshot: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Here in the POR terminal, we received a bulletin concerning Cell Phones
1. Cell Phones, that there are supposed to be NO cell phones on a person working, the dock, hostling, or driving a Yellow Tractor.
And they put some kind of bs concerning this not being a work rule, that it's company policy, so the Union has no say.

Anyone other terminals get this bulletin, or are we special? ED?!

NO GOBBLERS!!

Keep this policy in mind the next time you have to call a customer 1/2 hour before delivery or get a message to call dispatch.

Keep this policy in mind the next time you have to call a customer 1/2 hour before delivery or get a message to call dispatch.

This is my policy!! I use the Nextel to call the company to have them call the customer. Sometimes stuff gets so messed up the freight does not get delivered, not my fault. I am sometimes not called a team player when it comes to this issue. I just like to play their games back on them!!!:smilie_132:

I work for Holland (YRCW Regional) and they told us that quite a while ago. They even tried to get us to sign off that we acknowledged the new company rules. Most of us signed under post then signed our name. It is funny though when their Nextel’s won’t work they call you on your cell!!!

I meant to say; Most of us signed under protest then signed our name. OOPS!!!:smilie_132:

First off, I am NO GOBBLER! I don't :butt kiss: managements rear end!!
I will use the Nextel crap in the city tractors and call dispatch if and when needed. But not until I have SAFELY pulled my 53' trailer and set the breaks!! And trust me, sometimes it can take a half hour, 45 minutes to accomplish said feat...
I pay for my cell phone, pure and simple. Yellow can use that to call me in early, or on an overtime day. That's it!!
I do whatever I can for a customer. I don't call and beg them to take freight that I left the yard 2 hours late with. Hell, if Yellow was all THAT concerned, the freight would never have been late anyway!!
NO GOBBLERS!!

Can someone enlighten me, just what in the hell does this banana thing mean/do?!
:funky:
Almost as annoying as management...

It's gonna happen sooner or later.....walk into dispatch at CNC anytime of day and company policy of no headphones and there stand drivers with headsets on and yaking on the phone..........watched a texas team driver talk on his cell for 20 minutes after he was given bills, do his paperwork and then give tripsheet to dispatcher to sign for delay....pretty cool to get paid for talking on phone and doing paperwork!!!

It's gonna happen sooner or later.....walk into dispatch at CNC anytime of day and company policy of no headphones and there stand drivers with headsets on and yaking on the phone..........watched a texas team driver talk on his cell for 20 minutes after he was given bills, do his paperwork and then give tripsheet to dispatcher to sign for delay....pretty cool to get paid for talking on phone and doing paperwork!!!
Hey now if they sign for the time..it aint the drivers fault!!!!

Stop Whining about Cell Phones

Stop whining about people using cell phones. You know as well as anyone that no one was good at using a CB while driving at first. Or eating burgers while driving or picking out your favorite tape or CD to listen to or picking your favorite radio station to listen to while driving. Or reaching for your map and trying to read your position at night by a red overhead light. They were all distractions from all driving til you get good at it. With practice, it is just added to all the other things at one point we should have not been doing, yet don't think twice about. But oh, cell phone use is a sin. Give me a break. If you don't feel comfortable using a cell phone while driving, then don't do it. Personally I use an ear piece, but on occasion, I might take a call without it briefly and call them back when I have a chance.

People are gonna do what they wanna do, but with the fines getting pretty steep, that choice might be made for us if enforcement gets serious.

This is something that is news to us here in TX. We have a different problem concerning cell phones at our terminal, and many others may have the same problem and not know it.

We have several city drivers that have given their cell #s to customers, and the customers call that driver for freight pickup instead of calling the cust. serv. center.

The driver is working, getting freight picked up, while other drivers are being dispatched to another area, since the company thinks there is no work in that area. It is a simple case of that driver looking out for #1, and no one else.

I wonder how long they will continue to do this, and screw over a driver with seniority rights.

I see it from the point of view that customers have special relationships with "their" peddle driver, and it's good for business. At a company that's begging for more freight, and to hold on to what we can-- we need to take whatever steps we can to keep business. If that's caring drivers willfully giving cell #s out-- so be it. We can then always call Dispatch on our Nextels. Some people will always stir things into a rage.....

On Indy's dock-- they tell us to go into a trailer to take calls. A casual almost ran over the TM while driving down the dock and not looking because he was talking away. That caused us to "ban them". Cell phones are always here to stay. I don't see where using a cell phone is any different than using a Nextel that the company supplies?????

Words that seem to be ignorred are common sense and discretion.

Ive been with CGB almost 1 yr, in the orientation package there is a printed sheet of company rules...that is one. what I was told is that during the probation period...look alive, and dont use or have a cell handy, after that its sort of accepted that we need these...there has been no problems here about this, of course there could be since it is a company rule.

One of the biggest gripes I've read on this thread so far is that people are volunteering to use their own phones for company business. I see two solutions. #1-- quit being so jealous of others, and lead your own lives. It's their phone, not yours. And #2:-- our Nextel's all have an individual phone number. If you want- give that to the customers instead. Yellow/Indy says to use the Nextels like you need to-- you decide (responsibly).... I see no problems either way; but I'm sure someone that is looking to stir trouble always will.