Yellow | Central States Fund Falls To $12.3 Billion -- Senate Action Needed

The relief bill their debating now has a provision to “preserve collective bargaining rights “ for unions.
kind of tells you what the unions asked for.

I actually think the unions could have made a somewhat halfassed argument for some money, markets took a hit because of the virus the funds took a hit because of the virus type of argument.

don’t blame the government for not including pension relief if the unions didn’t ask them too.

Amtrak is so bad they lost almost $1 billion selling $4 cans of Pepsi and $9 hamburgers.
You have to work very hard to lose $$$ with those prices...
Only our government can make a FUBAR That bad...
I'd give them nothing!

Have you ever used Amtrak? Do you understand why they lose money? I have used them and they are a wonderful alternative to flying these days if you can afford the longer transit time. They perform an essential service for many individuals who can't fly for one reason or another. They are obligated to defer to freight trains (unlike years ago when they had priority) and are subject to delays because of that but do a decent job in my opinion. Much more comfortable and pleasant compared to flying today. I remember how great flying used to be 50 years ago before passengers were treated like cattle like they are today. I'll take Amtrak anytime I can.

Have you ever used Amtrak? Do you understand why they lose money? I have used them and they are a wonderful alternative to flying these days if you can afford the longer transit time. They perform an essential service for many individuals who can't fly for one reason or another. They are obligated to defer to freight trains (unlike years ago when they had priority) and are subject to delays because of that but do a decent job in my opinion. Much more comfortable and pleasant compared to flying today. I remember how great flying used to be 50 years ago before passengers were treated like cattle like they are today. I'll take Amtrak anytime I can.
It is so much nicer enjoying the landscape at eye level. Car attendants are courteous and polite, hard workers.

I know many of you will disagree with me but I still believe the only way to do it is to merge all the funds into one great big pile. Obviously look at the numbers and see if any recalculations of monthly benefit for the individual must be made. If it’s against the rules, change it. A majority of Teamsters are included in Central States, and if something isn’t done they’re all going to get hosed. This will also limit the impact to the American taxpayer, if not alleviate it altogether. I am not nor have I ever been in the union, and although I know something has to be done to not screw a bunch of people whose retirement has been put in jeopardy due to no fault of their own... however I as a taxpayer shouldn’t be asked to bail them out.

I know many of you will disagree with me but I still believe the only way to do it is to merge all the funds into one great big pile. Obviously look at the numbers and see if any recalculations of monthly benefit for the individual must be made. If it’s against the rules, change it. A majority of Teamsters are included in Central States, and if something isn’t done they’re all going to get hosed. This will also limit the impact to the American taxpayer, if not alleviate it altogether. I am not nor have I ever been in the union, and although I know something has to be done to not screw a bunch of people whose retirement has been put in jeopardy due to no fault of their own... however I as a taxpayer shouldn’t be asked to bail them out.
Why should not the union's (Central States) be given the same deal that the banks got from Bush jr back in 2008 . The banking executives took the bail out money and gave themselves bonuses and used it for their own cash cow . At least this bail out would be going to hard working men and women that actually work .

Point taken. Should I who suffered a freeze on my pension as of 2009 and a significant reduction as of 2002, whose trustees took radical action twice, to meet their fiduciary responsibilities, suffer additional hardship?

Song, don't worry about them, they can take care of themselves.
Just send me a check each month, I'm almost out of toilet paper.

Why should not the union's (Central States) be given the same deal that the banks got from Bush jr back in 2008 ..
It was wrong then. And wrong now, but I see your point. If we just do wrong things because they were done in the past, we'd still have slavery.

Side note; Bush signed it but the Obama team input most of the Bill in conjunction with Hank Paulsen since it was apparent Obama would be the next president. McCain attended but had no plan.

Point taken. Should I who suffered a freeze on my pension as of 2009 and a significant reduction as of 2002, whose trustees took radical action twice, to meet their fiduciary responsibilities, suffer additional hardship?

They don't get it Elwood. They want those that took the pain up front to take another dose of pain for the benefit of those who didn't.

Why should not the union's (Central States) be given the same deal that the banks got from Bush jr back in 2008 . The banking executives took the bail out money and gave themselves bonuses and used it for their own cash cow . At least this bail out would be going to hard working men and women that actually work .

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

When have you ever been asked where your Federal tax dollars can be spent?

I haven’t, and there’s a lot of things it gets spent on that I don’t agree with, but just because it gets spent without my approval doesn’t make it right. That being said, on this particular issue where there is the possibility of a solution that wouldn’t cost the taxpayer I definitely have an opinion.