FedEx Freight | changes coming in april

Popcorn, for all our sake, I hope I'm right and not just blindly optimistic. I do agree that despite the terminology, the "merger" was indeed a shutdown. But given that we're running freight levels in the area of 90,000 shipments per day (per my manager) what's the logic of another layoff? What are you thinking Stage 2 would look like? Again, I can see some adjustments needed since the ratio of Priority to Economy is not what they planned for, but not a wholesale change (hopefully)....

oaf
I don't forsee anymore layoffs but I do see more realignment of the labor force. I can see some being voluntarily layed off because they don't want to move to a new town. But anyone who didn't see this coming hasn't been in the LTL business too long.........

I doubt you'll see any major changes in April. They usually wait until November to make the BIG announcements (layoffs, pay cuts). With the poor management team this company has working in it's headquarters it's only a matter of time before Fred sees more 110 million dollar losses a quarter and says enough is enough. The sad part is when they see their 100 million dollar loss posted they will layoff the drivers, supervisors and hourly staff and close more terminals. If anyone thinks we will keep this many employees on you need to be drug tested. Have you seen how many supervisors are on in some of these smaller end of the line centers. Do a red shirt count next time your in HSG or YRK? In the old Watkins days centers those size would get by with 3 supervisors and a TM. I highly doubt AF ever overstaffed their centers with management like this. Some of these centers have 8 supervisors. they are practically tripping over themselves in YRK. Plus I still see more terminal closures down the road. Do we really need to Allentown centers? The Watkins center never produced all that that much freight to begin with. I am sure there are more centers out that that SHOULD have been closed that weren't. Just a couple of my thoughts. I'm grumpy, I know it but I am working on getting out as we speak.

I doubt you'll see any major changes in April. They usually wait until November to make the BIG announcements (layoffs, pay cuts). With the poor management team this company has working in it's headquarters it's only a matter of time before Fred sees more 110 million dollar losses a quarter and says enough is enough. The sad part is when they see their 100 million dollar loss posted they will layoff the drivers, supervisors and hourly staff and close more terminals. If anyone thinks we will keep this many employees on you need to be drug tested. Have you seen how many supervisors are on in some of these smaller end of the line centers. Do a red shirt count next time your in HSG or YRK? In the old Watkins days centers those size would get by with 3 supervisors and a TM. I highly doubt AF ever overstaffed their centers with management like this. Some of these centers have 8 supervisors. they are practically tripping over themselves in YRK. Plus I still see more terminal closures down the road. Do we really need to Allentown centers? The Watkins center never produced all that that much freight to begin with. I am sure there are more centers out that that SHOULD have been closed that weren't. Just a couple of my thoughts. I'm grumpy, I know it but I am working on getting out as we speak.
This company is definately top heavy

dont get all wrapped up in the hype. remember that a driver posted which we are all drivers and the one thing that we are all good at is BS and stirring the pooper pot. Dont get all hyped up about. Some people are just miserable with their lives and want to make everyone elses the same. whatever

I'm sure that's the case for some, but maybe some here would like to make things better, but have come to realize that it's not going to happen because those in charge don't care. It's easier when you just give up. That has it's own consequences, but corporate seems to want that, so we don't need to worry about anything except staying off the radar.

We have a red shirt here that isn't really sure what their job is. We have about 60 drivers or so. They usually use less than 40 everyday. What does that tell you?

What the company did was that they did the shutdown "fat". Making sure they had enough drivers to handle the amount of dream freight the company soothsayers said we should expect to get. Now that they know customers think we're insane, there is an "alignment" coming. It's going to come from the bottom of the board and those that aren't "producing". In other words, the x-National drivers. What happened was indeed a shutdown, and we took on people in case we needed them. Now we know we don't need all these people. BUT, we have got some really good people. I hope to high heaven we don't lose them. (Jenn in Tacoma for one.)

I don't know if our corporate betters will see that we are an upended pyramid and do something about it, but if the don't, we're not going to be around for long.

Our local management doubled in the last year and a half, for the same number of drivers, and they cut the office staff's hours. There is a mininum of 4 red shirts there at any time, and we have to wait in line for the one office girl to get an exception number. Top heavy for sure. But the uselessness of these morons is mind-boggling.

We have a red shirt here that isn't really sure what their job is. We have about 60 drivers or so. They usually use less than 40 everyday. What does that tell you?

What the company did was that they did the shutdown "fat". Making sure they had enough drivers to handle the amount of dream freight the company soothsayers said we should expect to get. Now that they know customers think we're insane, there is an "alignment" coming. It's going to come from the bottom of the board and those that aren't "producing". In other words, the x-National drivers. What happened was indeed a shutdown, and we took on people in case we needed them. Now we know we don't need all these people. BUT, we have got some really good people. I hope to high heaven we don't lose them. (Jenn in Tacoma for one.)

I don't know if our corporate betters will see that we are an upended pyramid and do something about it, but if the don't, we're not going to be around for long.

So why is it you say X-National drivers are the ones not producing, I am locked and cocked ready to pounce, but will withhold so you can explain yourself. Most freight drivers are on the BOTTOM of the board in the east, are they not producing either?

Hey Franklin, why not go into management and show us how it should be done.

Our local management doubled in the last year and a half, for the same number of drivers, and they cut the office staff's hours. There is a mininum of 4 red shirts there at any time, and we have to wait in line for the one office girl to get an exception number. Top heavy for sure. But the uselessness of these morons is mind-boggling.

Hey Overton, don't you think that many of the decisions made by local management is corporate driven? You always seem to have the answers. Why not show them how it's done. I'm sure your perception of how it is, is not reality. I'm just a dumb truck driver, but until we make money, expect more of the same........... Just my two cents.......

This company will not see anything close to the profits of past as long as they keep trying to micro manage everything from Harrison.
We'll be lucky to break even period. The company IS top heavy at the TOP and local management only file reports and read endless e-mails now days. They are not allowed to manage, just attempt to make things look good on paper for whatever the flavor of the day is..

Why does a small city like Kansas city have two terminals ?
How many other companies have two centers where you live ? Just saying ...
I like that post someone said. If you don't see more changes coming you haven't been in the LTL world to long....... Or something like that.

we had a meeting today they are hiring 50 full time dock guys cgt guys there are going to be changes that will benefit every one . i thank this company is to be booming and the guys like me young enough to hang on and at the bottom of the board stay with were going to lose some guys with these new govt hours and people retiring

Why does a small city like Kansas city have two terminals ?
How many other companies have two centers where you live ? Just saying ...

ummmm, not to be a smart ass, but UPS has two terminals in Kansas City...20 or 25 years ago Yellow and Roadwayand some others had satalite terminals all over the metro.

Go ahead take from the bottom of the board because they will use our company senority and me and alot of others will be seeing alot of Frt guys leaving. Don't get me wrong alot of the National drivers would be gone also, and in these times I hate to see anyone have to start looking for a job.

ummmm, not to be a smart ass, but UPS has two terminals in Kansas City...20 or 25 years ago Yellow and Roadwayand some others had satalite terminals all over the metro.
I'm going to be a smart ass...

USP what? Freight? The have one on K-32. Where's the other one?

25 years ago Yellow and Roadway were separate. Besides, look what having a bunch of satellite terminals has done for them now.

So why is it you say X-National drivers are the ones not producing, I am locked and cocked ready to pounce, but will withhold so you can explain yourself. Most freight drivers are on the BOTTOM of the board in the east, are they not producing either?

It's going to come from the bottom of the board and those that aren't "producing".

Re-reading my line, I can see how it's confusing. By bottom of the board, I meant National Drivers. At this terminal, very few of our Freight drivers were displaced. By those that aren't producing, I meant any driver that doesn't produce. We've got some drivers that have been around for some time that simply have one speed. There are ways to address that, but it hasn't happened before, but I think we may see more focus on that.

Sorry for the confusion. We have some real kick-a** drivers from National.

Hey Franklin, why not go into management and show us how it should be done.

The last thing I would do is go into management. I'm already married. All you have to do is look at how the Banghams and Sheridan did it. You don't alienate your workers, you empower them to feel part of something. The way it is now, we are all to aware that we are just meaningless chunks of meat that produce data. You're telling me you're good with things as they are? I certainly wouldn't be surprised.

By those that aren't producing, I meant any driver that doesn't produce. We've got some drivers that have been around for some time that simply have one speed.
They aren't doing anything about those people. We have people that can't even hook a set, they have their old team partner follow them around to do everything for them