FedEx Freight | Congress Passed Pension Cuts

I have read that alot of bad loans were sold to pension funds. How much a problem they caused wouldn't be known to me.
Crystal and crazy are knowledgeable on the topic.

Exactly Guardrail. I wonder with the threefold increase in the market why the pensions would be in such dire straits while my 401k is BOOMING. Oh yeah mismanagement by the unions would never be the reason according to the faithful. Both are invested in the markets aren't they?
You should research instead of replying, not all pensions are the same. The one plan I was in is called the rip plan out of central pa. Teamsters is booming also, last year it was up 20%. Only difference with that & a 401k is it dident cost me a dime it rolls with the market....

I am nobody to give an official explanation.
Right now the fund I'm in constantly says its healthy. They mail us stuff on it.

My thoughts go to the fact that the totally unexpected change of people choosing nonunion over union and all the companies going bankrupt after deregulation. Why would it have made any logical sense to pick what was not as good as what most had. The nonunion drivers probably even surprised the people desiring to get rid of the union. It made no sense and imo it still doesn't.
"Long Term job security" would seem to be a big reason. People have seen the predominantly overall downturn for unionized carriers along with the upward swing for nonunion like Fedex.

When banks are bought by other banks there is an unseen " bailout" of those in charge of bank loans.
Most evertime you see the names change at your local banks some sort of bailout is taking place.
One loaned too much money, isn't being paid back, it will cause problems in their system and reveal their game, so they get together, buy it and change the name. A coverup so they can continue loaning.The top mouths of " conservatism" are least " conservative" of all.

Too bad its a myth. G.O.D. recentlly went down.
A long time friend just lost his machinist job. Direct result of the recent Korean Trade deal. They lost their big accounts to Korea.
They were nonunion.
They mustve decided like yourself and your antiunion crowd that theyd just either let my dues and union membership look out for them or rebel and " let the market decide".
But uniin members pay in less comp due to domestic nonunion competition and then we pay for " retraining" out of taxes.
The market wants the " dollar store" and free shipping.....how many homes will that buy?
YOU need to step up, join and participate.
The system of the market is political. And unions is the most proven way for people like us to participate.

"Long Term job security" would seem to be a big reason. People have seen the predominantly overall downturn for unionized carriers along with the upward swing for nonunion like Fedex.

Too bad its a myth. G.O.D. recentlly went down.
A long time friend just lost his machinist job. Direct result of the recent Korean Trade deal. They lost their big accounts to Korea.
They were nonunion.
They mustve decided like yourself and your antiunion crowd that theyd just either let my dues and union membership look out for them or rebel and " let the market decide".
But uniin members pay in less comp due to domestic nonunion competition and then we pay for " retraining" out of taxes.
The market wants the " dollar store" and free shipping.....how many homes will that buy?
YOU need to step up, join and participate.
The system of the market is political. And unions is the most proven way for people like us to participate.
When this happens to a non union shop its a shame. When it happens to a union shop its because of those ****ing unions.

One of the big selling points from the teamsters is a solid pension. As this article points out, a pension isn't as solid as believed.

Guardrail
That's one plan out of several, maybe you should check out the other plans before you try using one plan to make your point! What plan are you in? What are your pay outs for your plan? 30 years gets you what?

Ok say the last part of your post is saying the union needs the FedEx employees to join for there pensions to make it.
It's one plan out of several, look at the other plans and let's hear what you can pick at then? What is the guarantee that you will get? Besides FedEx would be in a plan of their choosing, you would have nothing to do with central states! Try again chicken little!!

It's one plan out of several, look at the other plans and let's hear what you can pick at then? What is the guarantee that you will get? Besides FedEx would be in a plan of their choosing, you would have nothing to do with central states! Try again chicken little!!

Industry

• CNN • Dec. 22

Union retirees: Don’t cut my pension

More than a million current and retired truck drivers and other union employees could see their pension benefits cut now that Congress has passed a controversial new measure. By allowing the plans to cut benefits now, lawmakers say it will help keep around 150 pension funds from running out of money.
But retirees aren’t exactly seeing it that way. Many gave up years of pay increases and contributed thousands of dollars from their salaries each year toward their promised pensions. As a result, many have little savings outside of their pension benefits and Social Security checks and are not sure how they’ll make ends meet if the cuts go through.
"It’s devastating," said 63-year-old Dave Scheidt, who retired five years ago after more than 30 years loading and unloading trucks. "We never dreamed that our pension wouldn’t be there."
In the worst case scenario, Scheidt could see his current annual benefits of around $37,000 a year reduced to as little as $15,000. He receives his checks from the Central States Southeast and Southwest Areas Pension Fund, one of the multiemployer plans that is now qualified to cut benefits under the law.
Central States lobbied heavily for the new pension-cutting measure, which has led many of its retirees to speculate that it will be one of the first plans to reduce benefits. The fund, which paid out $2.1 billion more than it received in contributions in 2012 alone, is projected to be insolvent in the next 10 to 15 years. So officials have argued that retirees will ultimately see major cuts either way. That’s because if a multiemployer plan goes insolvent, a retiree is guaranteed less than $13,000 a year from the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. In contrast, a retiree in a single employer plan that goes bust is insured for up to $60,000.
In the meantime, the fund’s retirees and others are in another waiting game, wondering when – and by how much – their checks could be cut. Scheidt, who has mobilized with other retired Teamsters to oppose the cuts, said he’s heard from retirees across the country about the new law. Some, he says, have broken down in tears.
"Many will lose homes and cars and trucks because of this," he said. "These guys are scared to death."

Industry

• CNN • Dec. 22

Union retirees: Don’t cut my pension

More than a million current and retired truck drivers and other union employees could see their pension benefits cut now that Congress has passed a controversial new measure. By allowing the plans to cut benefits now, lawmakers say it will help keep around 150 pension funds from running out of money.
But retirees aren’t exactly seeing it that way. Many gave up years of pay increases and contributed thousands of dollars from their salaries each year toward their promised pensions. As a result, many have little savings outside of their pension benefits and Social Security checks and are not sure how they’ll make ends meet if the cuts go through.
"It’s devastating," said 63-year-old Dave Scheidt, who retired five years ago after more than 30 years loading and unloading trucks. "We never dreamed that our pension wouldn’t be there."
In the worst case scenario, Scheidt could see his current annual benefits of around $37,000 a year reduced to as little as $15,000. He receives his checks from the Central States Southeast and Southwest Areas Pension Fund, one of the multiemployer plans that is now qualified to cut benefits under the law.
Central States lobbied heavily for the new pension-cutting measure, which has led many of its retirees to speculate that it will be one of the first plans to reduce benefits. The fund, which paid out $2.1 billion more than it received in contributions in 2012 alone, is projected to be insolvent in the next 10 to 15 years. So officials have argued that retirees will ultimately see major cuts either way. That’s because if a multiemployer plan goes insolvent, a retiree is guaranteed less than $13,000 a year from the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. In contrast, a retiree in a single employer plan that goes bust is insured for up to $60,000.
In the meantime, the fund’s retirees and others are in another waiting game, wondering when – and by how much – their checks could be cut. Scheidt, who has mobilized with other retired Teamsters to oppose the cuts, said he’s heard from retirees across the country about the new law. Some, he says, have broken down in tears.
"Many will lose homes and cars and trucks because of this," he said. "These guys are scared to death."

This is only for multiemployer pension plans that are expected to run out of money within the next 10 to 20 years. Those would be the pension plans to see cutbacks. This has nothing to do with single payer pension plans that FedEx would be invested in.

This is only for multiemployer pension plans that are expected to run out of money within the next 10 to 20 years. Those would be the pension plans to see cutbacks. This has nothing to do with single payer pension plans that FedEx would be invested in.
Yet!!! Give Uncle Sam a chance.

It's a matter of time before Uncle Sam has his hands in single payer too. FedEx went to great lengths when they set this pension up there was all kinda laws they had to abide by. One for sure I know of was the time served they couldn't go back to original time of hire,it had to start when the pension did.

It's a matter of time before Uncle Sam has his hands in single payer too. FedEx went to great lengths when they set this pension up there was all kinda laws they had to abide by. One for sure I know of was the time served they couldn't go back to original time of hire,it had to start when the pension did.
Matter of time?............I hate the thought of that. Anything is possible especially with a government that hates to see people that take care of them selves. Matter of time?....maybe our 401k plans next or maybe no social security for you because you were smart enough to take care of your retirement years with a pension & 401k plan. My plan is to retire soon with my pension, 401k & social security as I worked my butt off to earn it. I will ride the wave until this bleeding heart government takes it away.

Matter of time?............I hate the thought of that. Anything is possible especially with a government that hates to see people that take care of them selves. Matter of time?....maybe our 401k plans next or maybe no social security for you because you were smart enough to take care of your retirement years with a pension & 401k plan. My plan is to retire soon with my pension, 401k & social security as I worked my butt off to earn it. I will ride the wave until this bleeding heart government takes it away.
I assume you are old enough to be able to get anything from social security, us younger folks will never see it.