FedEx Freight | Congress Passed Pension Cuts

Sure makes me glad I've got my 401k, which I CONTROL. Not being dependent on a Ponzi scheme is the better way.
Heard today that the market has never done so well as it is doing under the Obama administration . Its up three times higher now than when Bush was in charge . Ted Cruz said that Obama don't know how American business works , maybe Cruz should look more closely to the market b/4 he makes that kinda statement.

Heard today that the market has never done so well as it is doing under the Obama administration . Its up three times higher now than when Bush was in charge . Ted Cruz said that Obama don't know how American business works , maybe Cruz should look more closely to the market b/4 he makes that kinda statement.
Everyone overlooks the power of Congress, giving the Pres credit for things they have NOTHING to do with. Who ran the legislative branch during Bush's last term? Who took over the House, who controls the purse strings? Who were called obstructionists? The truth is, the less our Government "gets done", the better the economy, and the better things are in general. Maybe they should all take 4 years off... Haven't they done enough already?

My understanding is that the PBGC only insures these plan benefits up to $13,000/year and that's for those with 30 years of service. That's all that was "promised", everything above that was just "planned", and what was the fine print on those guarantees made by the employers and unions?

I agree about the highest amount of liability, and burden to guarantee, lies on these entities, up to the amount promised.

That is the way I understand it as well, but only as it applies to Multi-employer plans. The maximum amount the agency guarantees in single-employer plans is a single life annuity of $4,500 per month ($54,000 annually) beginning at age 65.

Why such a HUGE difference? The "liability", actually seems much higher (to PBGC) for single-employer plans, since they cover more than 30 million participants, while the multi-employer plans cover around 10 million participants. 3 times as many covered. Covered at more than a 3 times higher rate. Seems like a very unbalanced set of numbers, to me. Wonder how that came to be... :scratchhead:

Where do you think your pension money is?

Guardrail
Ours isn't controlled by us, who aren't very knowledgeable.
His quote refers to himself controlling his 401k.

Again I refer to Wall St. On Parades ' site.

It shows daily how there are constant attempts and success at rigging the market.

Those who preach " let the market decide" are the ones rigging it for themselves.

Guardrail
Yes but its

Guardrail
Yes, but they are a bit different as to how they invest. Pension funds are invested in two different categories, Investment funds & Equity funds where as 401K funds are Invested in a very wide rage of funds. The two have one thing in common though, they can gain or lose money very quickly.

That is the way I understand it as well, but only as it applies to Multi-employer plans. The maximum amount the agency guarantees in single-employer plans is a single life annuity of $4,500 per month ($54,000 annually) beginning at age 65.

Why such a HUGE difference? The "liability", actually seems much higher (to PBGC) for single-employer plans, since they cover more than 30 million participants, while the multi-employer plans cover around 10 million participants. 3 times as many covered. Covered at more than a 3 times higher rate. Seems like a very unbalanced set of numbers, to me. Wonder how that came to be... :scratchhead:

Because the Single Employer Plans have an insurance premium of 4-5x the rate that the Multi-Employer Plans pay.

http://www.pbgc.gov/prac/prem/premium-rates.html

One of the big selling points from the teamsters is a solid pension. As this article points out, a pension isn't as solid as believed.

Guardrail
nope not your SSI...or 401....wonder if the Congress n Senate not to mention the Prez are goin to cut theirs...:ambivalence:...yea rt...rt up there with they and theirs don't have to be part of Obamacare...oh wait Affordable Care Act...

The market is doing very well this week. Typically when the president speaks the stock market tanks. The president still only has a 47% approval rating although its up from 40% a few weeks ago. The stock market reacts to the worlds economy, not just the United States.

Guardrail
Exactly Guardrail. I wonder with the threefold increase in the market why the pensions would be in such dire straits while my 401k is BOOMING. Oh yeah mismanagement by the unions would never be the reason according to the faithful. Both are invested in the markets aren't they?

The large fund that is on the rocks hasn't been managed by the union. It has been managed by Wall Street managers for a long time and they have made decisions that benefit themselves rather than the participants in the plan.

Exactly Guardrail. I wonder with the threefold increase in the market why the pensions would be in such dire straits while my 401k is BOOMING. Oh yeah mismanagement by the unions would never be the reason according to the faithful. Both are invested in the markets aren't they?
The union doesnt manage the pension funds. You should educate yourself on things you are going to post about.

The same Trojan Horse which is and has wrecked the country.....yet everybody accepts/ follows the rules of the game rigged for themselves.
If defined benefit pensions and union pension funds are gone.
..everybody must / will rely on them...and pay them of course.

It seems the games been rigged for themselves a long time.
It mustve been awful seeing those huge accounts and unable to touch them.
Eventualy theyve found a way.

The large fund that is on the rocks hasn't been managed by the union. It has been managed by Wall Street managers for a long time and they have made decisions that benefit themselves rather than the participants in the plan.

The same Trojan Horse which is and has wrecked the country.....yet everybody accepts/ follows the rules of the game rigged for themselves.
If defined benefit pensions and union pension funds are gone.
..everybody must / will rely on them...and pay them of course.

It seems the games been rigged for themselves a long time.
It mustve been awful seeing those huge accounts and unable to touch them.
Eventualy theyve found a way.

Please answer me a question then why has it taken about 35 years maybe 25 for everyone to figure out that there is a problem with these pensions.

I am nobody to give an official explanation.
Right now the fund I'm in constantly says its healthy. They mail us stuff on it.

My thoughts go to the fact that the totally unexpected change of people choosing nonunion over union and all the companies going bankrupt after deregulation. Why would it have made any logical sense to pick what was not as good as what most had. The nonunion drivers probably even surprised the people desiring to get rid of the union. It made no sense and imo it still doesn't.

Please answer me a question then why has it taken about 35 years maybe 25 for everyone to figure out that there is a problem with these pensions.

You can ask that same question to your government about social security since they force you and also your employer to pay into that giant mess.

A problem for some and not others.

You do understand that the Unions do not control the pension funds? The board of trustees is made up of members from both the union and the companies. It was my understanding that some of the problem came from the type of investments that were made. Trying to play "catch up" the trustees were very aggressive in their investment strategy. You should also understand that many funds are doing just fine. The particular fund I will draw my pension from is considered fully funded. Here is the link.

http://www.wctpension.org/

Last edited: