FedEx Freight | Contractor modo question.

So you FedEx is more apt to using a contractor to run city routes as opposed to line haul?
That's how Watkins operated on the west coast from what I understand. Freight was worked by Watkins employees and owner operators picked up and delivered freight in Watkins owned trailers. I'm not too keen on the exact details of how they operated, as that was way before my time.

Yeah.. corporate greed and forgetting about the people that build a company. You have to create jobs in order for a company to succeed.
But not greed to expect six figures, a 401K match and amazing healthcare to deliver packages. That's more than a nurse makes.

Fedex really isn’t in control of contractors. The fleet owners are. Some are good some are bad. This causes a disparity in assuring drivers will show up and do what they are supposed to do. It’s much harder to have a good reliable work force when you have 50 different companies overseeing it vs one. Let’s face it the ground moto ain’t working so great. Last time I checked they weren’t exactly the top performing division within the company. These are just bullshit rumors that get started on the net with zero basis.

City routes would be difficult, but I can see them outsourcing FedEx freight direct.
Regarding the statement on city routes would be difficult.... FXG already contracts out all of the city routes.. adding a LTL routes into the mix would not be that difficult. Similar to the contractor model that AF had. City was owned by the contractor with road being managed by the company.

Fedex really isn’t in control of contractors. The fleet owners are. Some are good some are bad. This causes a disparity in assuring drivers will show up and do what they are supposed to do. It’s much harder to have a good reliable work force when you have 50 different companies overseeing it vs one. Let’s face it the ground moto ain’t working so great. Last time I checked they weren’t exactly the top performing division within the company. These are just bullshit rumors that get started on the net with zero basis.
Disagree with respect. They are very much in control of the contractors and have some pretty high standards... Not to mention pulling lanes etc for those that do not perform. FXG struggles are not due to contractor model... its due to linehaul network that has some opportunities. Those never came to light until the margins started to drop but let's not forget FXG carried the overall company and revenue wise still is leaps and bounds over FXF.

But not greed to expect six figures, a 401K match and amazing healthcare to deliver packages. That's more than a nurse makes.
Really your going to go there? Expect to be treated with respect and a good wage along with retirement.. Yes anyone would expect that... The amount of money that is made by this company is crazy. Back when the last administrations gave huge tax cuts and companies were rewarding employees... this company did not. The amount of waste you see not to mention waste on the leadership level is ridiculous. You would be surprised what money is spent on offices etc... Not to mention the travel and all things that go on in that area. So please do not try to give me the greed speech of wanting to be paid an honest respectful wage... Without the backbone of this company nothing is getting done and that is been forgotten. Drivers having become looked down upon and it is shown every single day.

Like S69 said.. if you start seeing it or actions being taken then organize. Communicate with us on here and all together we can make it easier to organize. Me personally I wouldn’t work for a contractor I’ll just go work for another LTL or Grocery Hauler. I don’t believe it’s coming and if it does I’ll try to organize. But hell, with how many butt kissers we have here they’ll also back up the company and say that we should work for the new contractor lol. If that fails cool I’ll keep it moving. No worries on this side

I’ve put my time in.. give me my money, thank you for your services. That’s what I’ll tell FedEx because all in all I got what I needed out of them and they got what they needed out of me.. this is the #1 reason why I stopped my pension.. I saw it as protection for me. If they go this stupid route then at least I can cash out my 401 or let it roll over. That pension is tied and you’re screwed

Like S69 said.. if you start seeing it or actions being taken then organize. Communicate with us on here and all together we can make it easier to organize. Me personally I wouldn’t work for a contractor I’ll just go work for another LTL or Grocery Hauler. I don’t believe it’s coming and if it does I’ll try to organize. But hell, with how many butt kissers we have here they’ll also back up the company and say that we should work for the new contractor lol. If that fails cool I’ll keep it moving. No worries on this side

I’ve put my time in.. give me my money, thank you for your services. That’s what I’ll tell FedEx because all in all I got what I needed out of them and they got what they needed out of me.. this is the #1 reason why I stopped my pension.. I saw it as protection for me. If they go this stupid route then at least I can cash out my 401 or let it roll over. That pension is tied and you’re screwed
The pension is a PORTABLE pension numbnuts. Once you are vested, which is after 5 years, it’s yours just like the 401k. Maybe you should read the paperwork before you leap next time.

The pension is portable my friend. Self funded. They can’t take it from you like that

When I was in the city I watched ground and UPS delivering. They earn their money especially in a stip mall or mall.
So no six figures isn't too much to ask...

If you are gonna organize you better do it NOW! If you see stuff happening it's too late!

I saw how they treated express employees, satellite employees with over 30 years with the company, employees that followed freight after merger.

The employee never crosses their mind when they do something!

Find a union that isn't teamsters or you will make it easy for them to defeat it..

The Watkins contractor model was different than the FXG model. At Watkins they used O/O's in a direct 1 on 1 relationship. You had a vested interest in being a professional and representing the Co. as required. Your revenue depended on it. Being a contractor on the other hand is a lot like herding cats. You will have a handful of dependable and conscientious drivers but the majority will be show ups waiting for the opportunity to get a real job with decent wages etc. somewhere else. Customer satisfaction will plumet...if that's even possible. I'm not saying it isn't within the realm of possibility but there are a bunch of moving parts that will have to mesh in order to make it work half a well as does right now. But who knows maybe Raj is a gambling man too.

The pension is portable my friend. Self funded. They can’t take it from you like that
I never said they can take it.. but you’re telling me if you quit tomorrow that you can just move it to your new employer? If it’s so PORTABLE why couldn’t we move it into our 401k like many of us wanted to during the big decision

Last edited:
The pension is a PORTABLE pension numbnuts. Once you are vested, which is after 5 years, it’s yours just like the 401k. Maybe you should read the paperwork before you leap next time.
I know it’s portable ass …. But you’re telling me if I quit tomorrow that I can just call in and request my funds? Or wait 45 days like 401k requires then I can get my funds or roll over? I never said you lose it

if it’s so PORTABLE how come they didn’t let us roll it into our 401k when the decision was due

Last edited: