XPO | Controversial, What does OD do better than us and the other LTLs to have such great OR?

I really don't understand how people think being a city driver sucks or is the least bit hard. I see drivers every morning complaining at my barn. I just don't get it, you have 10-15 stops and about 90% of the stuff is coming off on pallets with a fork lift. I use to unload a food truck with 600-1000 boxes that you touched every last one and ran them on a dolly down a ramp. Peddling freight is like a desk job lol easy as pie. You work Monday thru Friday home at night sleeping in bed, making 70-80k for hitting a few docks a day or pulling a pallet to the rear of trailer.
Shhhh!!! Don't tell everybody ... They will all want to do it then!!!!

I really don't understand how people think being a city driver sucks or is the least bit hard. I see drivers every morning complaining at my barn. I just don't get it, you have 10-15 stops and about 90% of the stuff is coming off on pallets with a fork lift. I use to unload a food truck with 600-1000 boxes that you touched every last one and ran them on a dolly down a ramp. Peddling freight is like a desk job lol easy as pie. You work Monday thru Friday home at night sleeping in bed, making 70-80k for hitting a few docks a day or pulling a pallet to the rear of trailer.
What world are you working in that has 90% forklift freight? Or 70-80k?!? You obviously aren't a city driver and have no idea what you are talking about

What world are you working in that has 90% forklift freight? Or 70-80k?!? You obviously aren't a city driver and have no idea what you are talking about
I obviously am a city driver. Sorry your city sucks and has no forklifts and that you get no hours to make 70-80k a year. Not my fault or problem doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about I do it every day of my life bud. Trust me your job ain't that "HARD" where ever you are lol suck it up could be worse

And btw I do throw probably 2000 tires a week and do sysco (sort and segregate) maybe 2-3 times a week. Which I volunteer to do because gives me something to do besides watching forklifts or rolling a pallet jack around lol.. I come in 530-6 am do that back to base by 1130am at latest then take out a full peddle run with 10 or so stops it's nothing. If you think being a city driver is "tough" then Im sorry. But there is nothing hard about it no matter how you slice it. Don't worry You can still be a man if you say you have a easy job . Not all men have to work hard we were just smarter but choosing to be p&d drivers!!

And btw I do throw probably 2000 tires a week and do sysco (sort and segregate) maybe 2-3 times a week. Which I volunteer to do because gives me something to do besides watching forklifts or rolling a pallet jack around lol.. I come in 530-6 am do that back to base by 1130am at latest then take out a full peddle run with 10 or so stops it's nothing. If you think being a city driver is "tough" then Im sorry. But there is nothing hard about it no matter how you slice it. Don't worry You can still be a man if you say you have a easy job . Not all men have to work hard we were just smarter but choosing to be p&d drivers!!
I had to challenge your blanket statement that painted an unrealistic view of our job. No need to build up your cred with claims of how tough your other jobs were; you aren't alone in having other jobs that were tougher. Have you ever had to unload an entire trailer full of pallets of hydroponic "soil" one bag at a time in the middle of the summer? I don't know what cushy city driver job you got, but you don't have a clue what it's like or you wouldn't have shown such disrespect to those of us who have to hustle and sweat to get our dime

I had to challenge your blanket statement that painted an unrealistic view of our job. No need to build up your cred with claims of how tough your other jobs were; you aren't alone in having other jobs that were tougher. Have you ever had to unload an entire trailer full of pallets of hydroponic "soil" one bag at a time in the middle of the summer? I don't know what cushy city driver job you got, but you don't have a clue what it's like or you wouldn't have shown such disrespect to those of us who have to hustle and sweat to get our dime
Again it aint that bad driver, not claiming how tough my other jobs were. Only had one job before here that was at US Foods. The 2000 tires and Sysco are stops I do here. And while I haven't unloaded a trailer full of soil I have unloaded a trailer full of food in the middle of summer and to 20 plus stops up steps down steps flights of stairs here or there. One more time for you driver being a p&d driver isn't that tough. Tell me what makes your city potion so hard buddy

Hey I have no doubt Sysco and other are no fun either...you are also not going to make 80 peddling and if you make 70 it's all you do 12 to 14 hours a day..as far as hitting docks all day that depends on the route....lots of places you break down and wheel in...other places you drag it to the back and that's not as easy as it sounds either I could write a book. It will wear you out. You can never do enough. Sure you will have good days sometimes but other days you will have 4 hotels 2 mall deliverys and a school maybe a residential just for kicks...not to mention if you are in a set. Breaking and hooking 6 times a day...that is especially fun when it is 20 below..

Maybe he works for a good company? I would guess not the same one that you work for?

Again it aint that bad driver, not claiming how tough my other jobs were. Only had one job before here that was at US Foods. The 2000 tires and Sysco are stops I do here. And while I haven't unloaded a trailer full of soil I have unloaded a trailer full of food in the middle of summer and to 20 plus stops up steps down steps flights of stairs here or there. One more time for you driver being a p&d driver isn't that tough. Tell me what makes your city potion so hard buddy
Sorry I came out so harshly on you, but I am tired of people (mostly leadership) treating us drivers as though we are undeserving of the pay we get. they use your same arguments and I simply disagree with your conclusion. Granted, some days it's not so difficult. Most days are a combo of residentials, schools/government sites where they won't touch freight, and businesses with no dock and no lift. I'd say maybe 1/3 of my customers have docks and around 60-65% have lifts. Maybe I've been doing this too long and need to get out of freight.

Sorry I came out so harshly on you, but I am tired of people (mostly leadership) treating us drivers as though we are undeserving of the pay we get. they use your same arguments and I simply disagree with your conclusion. Granted, some days it's not so difficult. Most days are a combo of residentials, schools/government sites where they won't touch freight, and businesses with no dock and no lift. I'd say maybe 1/3 of my customers have docks and around 60-65% have lifts. Maybe I've been doing this too long and need to get out of freight.
Well I think we are definitely deserving of the pay we receive. Of course some days are worse than others but for the most part it could be a whole lot worse. We could be gone for weeks sleeping in a truck or running every stop in a store. The only thing that gets to me is the hours I do not like working past 5pm Or 12 plus hours day

Yes ODFL is one finely tuned machine pleasing Wall Street, its customers, its employees, and its vendors. Family run, wall st owned, descendants of the founder taking the time to learn their business when handed the keys. Their expansion plans were well timed and have proved fruitful. Allowing employees to think on their feet to be quick to respond in problem resolution. An excellent sales force that sells value instead of price. Keeping equipment clean and safe. ODFL has good paying accounts providing those customers on time and intact freight deliveries over and over again allowing them premium pricing which results in superior financial results. Their IT department has also kept ahead of the competition with software, back office functions, handhelds, web site interface with customers, billing, claims etc. It is not an easy puzzle to solve in picking up pieces in the morning, attaching them with others going in the same direction during the day, taking them long distances while most of us sleep at night,then bumping a dock with a clean truck and professional driver on time when expected, with a smile on their face in most cases looking for a signature. I am surprised that they don't pay overtime after 8/40 to their drivers. Here is a youtube that presents their company well.

One of the things Old Dominion has spent alot of resources on is being able to accurately gauge how much it costs to handle individual shipments. They can figure out how much time it takes to handle on the dock, and how much time it takes to deliver. If the consignee needs special things like appointments, inside delivery, or fingerprinting, all this is taken into account and they price accordingly. The salesmen have very little wiggle room, plain and simple Old Dominion will not haul freight at a loss. Also they reweigh as many shipments as possible, and charge customers for the actual weight, not just what was listed on the BL.

Grizz.

One of the things Old Dominion has spent alot of resources on is being able to accurately gauge how much it costs to handle individual shipments. They can figure out how much time it takes to handle on the dock, and how much time it takes to deliver. If the consignee needs special things like appointments, inside delivery, or fingerprinting, all this is taken into account and they price accordingly. The salesmen have very little wiggle room, plain and simple Old Dominion will not haul freight at a loss. Also they reweigh as many shipments as possible, and charge customers for the actual weight, not just what was listed on the BL.

Grizz.
Not haul freight at a loss......what? Don't let the other carriers hear that!

If you call putting in a bunch more hours for your money making more then you have some serious math issues....
Not really at end of the day,end of the week, and end of the year I will make more money didn't say anything about hours I work. Not my fault the company that pays you overtime makes sure you get very little or no ot. You wish you could work the hours we can work. Higher rate of pay and 55 hrs or more a week or little to no overtime hours at smaller rate. Hmmmmm Keep getting that OT tho BOSS your making a killing off it :1036316054::6781::hilarious::hilarious:

Every company in every industry has disgruntled employees that don't care about their job, their customers, or their company's future. So clearly, carelessness and being disgruntled causes damages, but foolishly moving freight over and over adds to the problem.

And conway/xpo isn't the only one who does it. OD holds peoples feet to the fire for waste when it comes to mixing loads out and moving freight that shouldn't be moved 3 times. Accountability is a reason why they are better.