Yellow | Cross Dock

I don't have the slightest problem of a "fair day of pay for a fair day of work." IF MANAGEMENT ALLOWS ME!
That means, leave me alone. My talking is minimal and I prefer to accomplish a quality job over a quantity job!
So read again, my post which you only half-copied/pasted. Numbers. The customer is no longer King. Or Queen.

Here is a good article from 2007 concerning "A fair day's pay for a fair day's work"
A fair day's pay for a fair day's work - The Times-Gazette - Hillsboro, OH

They won't let you do your job. So what else is new? They never did..sometimes they prevent you from doing your job. The customer is no longer king? They never were. Bottom line is king

Cross-dock only looks good on paper because it shows less man hours used. Per bill.It just looks good on paper nothing else matters!

in most break bulks i am sorry but i see more screwing off ( sitting in truck for 20 minutes after hook, standing bs for 20 minutes, going to time clock 20 minutes before shift ends , etc ) i think one hook and hour is a joke 2 0r 3 bills and hour is a joke, shuttle guys driving 45 miles and hour spending time in the rail yard for 20 minutes or more reading sleeping , bsing when they should be working
thats first problem and for the ones that actually work the few i am sorry but you guys all think your over worked the other ltl companies would fire most of you guys, i refuse to anymore stand by teamsters and measters who are lazy and think there getting screwed this isnt the 70s when most companies where teamsters there non unioun and there legacy cost are way less( not going to explain if you dont know what that is) and they get more work out of there employees, no work rules that cost money like here example ( kc lane guy cant change a tire so they have to send it to another guy so they decide to give you anew truck but it has to be one from inside the building in the fuel lane that has a write up so then they have to go get a guy that can use a tool to fix a door handle instead of getting one outside fueled ready to go goes its a work rule so pay a road guy 2 hours for something that should have taken 10 minutes then kc guys start linning up at time clock at 20 minutes before the shift ends becuase they have a 15 minute clean up rule see the problem there then more file in at 15 minutes and a few 10 minutes and one or 2more at 5 minutes till the hour really what a joke and i lost a week vacation lol and pay cuts................... second is managment................ a, not firing guys b.. not doing there job right,c to many people in supervision that should be let go, listening to the guys who have good ideas,that do there job good, and ask if they dont know something but i know all you guys are going to be pissed off but the truth hurts ........are unioun leadership sucks, all they care is to do, what ever to hold on to there jobs, give there family and friends jobs, outdated computer system, work rules that cost money, junk equipment, we keep losing some of are best road guys year after year, cause they cant stand the bs from managment , and there fellow lazy workers they see every day out in the yard, the shop, the shuttle, etc ...........as soon as they can find a job close in pay even if it isnt a teamster job they leave cant blame them.......................i will never feel bad for most of the guys here when they close the doors............youll have your self to blame oh by the way hourly employees your not entitled to overtime.......... you have a 40 hour a week job so if your bills are for more then 40hour week. cause your use to it i dont feel sorry for you when you go bankrupt and i know alot of you guys work to get your overtime ...........road guys are the ones that earn there money cause you have to drive to get it, you dont make it sitting in a truck stop .......or standing around talking in the terminal or yard or reading the newspaper, sleeping in the truck(except for sleeper teams lol) and really most of you when you got hired you wanted to work do your job but you where told this is what you do and its been that way for a long time sad but true

in most break bulks i am sorry but i see more screwing off ( sitting in truck for 20 minutes after hook, standing bs for 20 minutes, going to time clock 20 minutes before shift ends , etc ) i think one hook and hour is a joke 2 0r 3 bills and hour is a joke, shuttle guys driving 45 miles and hour spending time in the rail yard for 20 minutes or more reading sleeping , bsing when they should be working
thats first problem and for the ones that actually work the few i am sorry but you guys all think your over worked the other ltl companies would fire most of you guys, i refuse to anymore stand by teamsters and measters who are lazy and think there getting screwed this isnt the 70s when most companies where teamsters there non unioun and there legacy cost are way less( not going to explain if you dont know what that is) and they get more work out of there employees, no work rules that cost money like here example ( kc lane guy cant change a tire so they have to send it to another guy so they decide to give you anew truck but it has to be one from inside the building in the fuel lane that has a write up so then they have to go get a guy that can use a tool to fix a door handle instead of getting one outside fueled ready to go goes its a work rule so pay a road guy 2 hours for something that should have taken 10 minutes then kc guys start linning up at time clock at 20 minutes before the shift ends becuase they have a 15 minute clean up rule see the problem there then more file in at 15 minutes and a few 10 minutes and one or 2more at 5 minutes till the hour really what a joke and i lost a week vacation lol and pay cuts................... second is managment................ a, not firing guys b.. not doing there job right,c to many people in supervision that should be let go, listening to the guys who have good ideas,that do there job good, and ask if they dont know something but i know all you guys are going to be pissed off but the truth hurts ........are unioun leadership sucks, all they care is to do, what ever to hold on to there jobs, give there family and friends jobs, outdated computer system, work rules that cost money, junk equipment, we keep losing some of are best road guys year after year, cause they cant stand the bs from managment , and there fellow lazy workers they see every day out in the yard, the shop, the shuttle, etc ...........as soon as they can find a job close in pay even if it isnt a teamster job they leave cant blame them.......................i will never feel bad for most of the guys here when they close the doors............youll have your self to blame oh by the way hourly employees your not entitled to overtime.......... you have a 40 hour a week job so if your bills are for more then 40hour week. cause your use to it i dont feel sorry for you when you go bankrupt and i know alot of you guys work to get your overtime ...........road guys are the ones that earn there money cause you have to drive to get it, you dont make it sitting in a truck stop .......or standing around talking in the terminal or yard or reading the newspaper, sleeping in the truck(except for sleeper teams lol) and really most of you when you got hired you wanted to work do your job but you where told this is what you do and its been that way for a long time sad but true

WOW :bowdown: And Happy New Year to you to.. :icon_dance: You sound like some kind of freight God..Sounds like your not very happy at your job..I am not gonna give you any suggestions because the grass is always greener on the other side..That would be up to you..
You also stated:
road guys are the ones that earn there money
I don't know if your a road or city driver but I have worked both and currently a city driver..and if you think that is apiece of cake you might want to try a different profession because you truly do not have a clue..Both city and road EARN their money..because of a few that you mention you try to paint the picture that all are doing it..
Although I work for a regional we don't have the same rules as you have but rules are rules and if YRC wants to get rid of them let them bargain for them..You mention meesters and teamsters :bowdown: Which one are you???
Maybe your future is in management because you might have all the answers to all the problems that you describe..

Scrabble,
first off ya gotta understand we are a break bulk, we not only break city pickups but through freight trailers also. Our checkers have always tried to load as much freight as possible but, with the volume and variety we handle, sometimes freight has to wait to be compatible.

Lager,
that sounds good on paper and if every skid was 4' by 4' by 4' and weighed 500lb's we could but in the real world, we are a LTL carrier and freight varies way to much.

Joe,
there in lies the problem, a checker unloads one trailer at a time with freight going to multiple destinations where as a stacker has multiple trailers going in the same direction and a verity of freight coming from different strip trailers to chose from to make the best trailer possible.

Before the merge, a Vice President showed up and gave a speech saying “We can not afford to be the cheapest carrier out there, we need to be the BEST carrier out there!” This was the time when Management put aside their petty nitpicking and started to listen to labor. When we showed them that this workes better then that, they listened and we implemented it. When we asked for load bars, we got load bars. When we asked for dunage, we got dunage. In other words, we worked together as a team and because of this our claims all but disappeared, Customer satisfaction was at a all time high, our expedited freight was running better than anyone could expect, we ran 2/3rd's more freight across our dock, twice as efficiently, resulting in 16 consecutive quarters of record profits. Kinda hard to argue with success.

J-Dawg,
100% correct!

Joe,
“ They won't let you do your job. So what else is new? They never did..sometimes they prevent you from doing your job. The customer is no longer king? They never were. Bottom line is king”
With all due respect, this attitude is why we are in the mess we are in. The only thing we have to sell is service, if we don't take care of the customers, we wont have customers and if we don't have customers, we don't have a bottom line.

Cellblock,
LMFAO, we are the same guys doing the same jobs we were doing when we were running better #'s and 16 consecutive quarters at record profits, the only difference is how management is managing....

they will never figure out that its easier and better for the company to wait for the right pieces to put the puzzle together than to try to use a hammer to drive that square peg into that round hole.

205 sends almost all ther west points to 309,try loading all your freight direc and see what your numbers and trailers look like

I say get rid of all the work rules, have the company put you in a position where they can best utilize your skills and therefore a maximum efficiency is acheived! If we dont have the flexability as our competitors do we will become extinct!

I say get rid of all the work rules, have the company put you in a position where they can best utilize your skills and therefore a maximum efficiency is acheived! If we dont have the flexability as our competitors do we will become extinct!

You mean everyone gets to be a "utility" driver?

No more bids, just assigned work for each day?

Do you wear a tie to work?

<snip>
Do you wear a tie to work?

Yea, I do! Got a problem with that? :smile:

TruckDriverTie.JPG

WOW!!!! 15 minute washup time,, guess I hired into and went to the wrong barns on transfer,, everywhere Ive been has been 5 minutes,, give or take a few

The reason for cross docking is to eliminate or cut down on the amount of labor involved.Ecspecially effective for dock operations that have laborers that don't do their job.Im not saying that our people are slackers and that cross docking isn't completely fail proof.Without the right type of management.Cross docking is useless.

If everyone would just do their part and stop wasteing their own valuable time watching what others are doing ( which is evident in the length & descriptions of others in some of these post ) the company as a whole just may do better. No gaurantees but what are U prepared to do in order to contribute to a positive end result ? Whatever that is do that and allow others to deal with their own faults. Then at the end U can find comfort in knowing you did all U could do. We can't control the actions of others so focus on the thing U can control which is ---> U.....thanks for your positivity!