Yellow | Cross Dock

I can not believe that I am reading this...
Yes some of the work rules need to be updated .I agree but to give these clowns ( YRC Managers) a free ticket would mean only the flat knee-ed and brown nosed would benefit.
I say get rid of all the work rules, have the company put you in a position where they can best utilize your skills and therefore a maximum efficiency is achieved! If we don't have the flexibility as our competitors do we will become extinct!
I stood on many a picket line to make it better for all Teamsters present and future. Thanks for nothing.

Most had the good sense to save their job. Today's tip: When working the dock never walk around carrying nothing..at least be pushing a cart or hand truck even if nothing is on it..if you're on a forklift and have to wait to go into a trailer don't fall asleep. Be productive and most importantly be quiet

Walk around with a bill in your hand if asked "what you're doing by a supervisor"........Looking for freight the dock location is wrong, do you know where it is????

Worked yesterday had alot of outbound freight and management refused to bring in a few more guyz to help move the freight. Shippers were closing the year out and with it being the end of month. We were heavy so the one shipper I picked up 4 loads from I asked to see the bills. Requested they load all the freight going west, north, south and Canadian on different trailers to make them direct and not have to work them at the barn. Yeah a city guy did this not management so I guess I wasted my time not doing job cause I did his.

Worked yesterday had alot of outbound freight and management refused to bring in a few more guyz to help move the freight. Shippers were closing the year out and with it being the end of month. We were heavy so the one shipper I picked up 4 loads from I asked to see the bills. Requested they load all the freight going west, north, south and Canadian on different trailers to make them direct and not have to work them at the barn. Yeah a city guy did this not management so I guess I wasted my time not doing job cause I did his.

Now the sup will moan that he didn't get credit for reworking the freight..you screwed up his numbers.

I'd rather mess his numbers up so I can keep it moving for my road brothers cause they can take it back to the house in time so my dock brothers aren't standing around waiting on freight. Cause a certain supervisor wants to fudge his numbers. Should of went home and let him figure out how to work the freight. Good luck trying to bring guyz in late New Years Eve and freight would have sit.

My New Years Resolution...Be Pro Active, alot of non sense makes no sense and you can't fix stupid...

^^^Na Crazy,
they will get some suck ass or a 4 hour casual to scan it off and then back on so they get their #'s and then when it gets somewhere else, they will do like they do here and have the set broke down, backed up to the dock, have a box thrown on so they can claim all of the weight n bills to make their #'s look good, pulled back out and re-hooked and then sent on. And that, "the numbers game", is the core reason I started this thread/discussion. IMHO, until we as a company stop playing these games, until we stop competing with other terminals and come together as a team and start taking care of the customer's freight, we will continue to struggle.

in most break bulks i am sorry but i see more screwing off ( sitting in truck for 20 minutes after hook, standing bs for 20 minutes, going to time clock 20 minutes before shift ends , etc ) i think one hook and hour is a joke 2 0r 3 bills and hour is a joke, shuttle guys driving 45 miles and hour spending time in the rail yard for 20 minutes or more reading sleeping , bsing when they should be working
thats first problem and for the ones that actually work the few i am sorry but you guys all think your over worked the other ltl companies would fire most of you guys, i refuse to anymore stand by teamsters and measters who are lazy and think there getting screwed this isnt the 70s when most companies where teamsters there non unioun and there legacy cost are way less( not going to explain if you dont know what that is) and they get more work out of there employees, no work rules that cost money like here example ( kc lane guy cant change a tire so they have to send it to another guy so they decide to give you anew truck but it has to be one from inside the building in the fuel lane that has a write up so then they have to go get a guy that can use a tool to fix a door handle instead of getting one outside fueled ready to go goes its a work rule so pay a road guy 2 hours for something that should have taken 10 minutes then kc guys start linning up at time clock at 20 minutes before the shift ends becuase they have a 15 minute clean up rule see the problem there then more file in at 15 minutes and a few 10 minutes and one or 2more at 5 minutes till the hour really what a joke and i lost a week vacation lol and pay cuts................... second is managment................ a, not firing guys b.. not doing there job right,c to many people in supervision that should be let go, listening to the guys who have good ideas,that do there job good, and ask if they dont know something but i know all you guys are going to be pissed off but the truth hurts ........are unioun leadership sucks, all they care is to do, what ever to hold on to there jobs, give there family and friends jobs, outdated computer system, work rules that cost money, junk equipment, we keep losing some of are best road guys year after year, cause they cant stand the bs from managment , and there fellow lazy workers they see every day out in the yard, the shop, the shuttle, etc ...........as soon as they can find a job close in pay even if it isnt a teamster job they leave cant blame them.......................i will never feel bad for most of the guys here when they close the doors............youll have your self to blame oh by the way hourly employees your not entitled to overtime.......... you have a 40 hour a week job so if your bills are for more then 40hour week. cause your use to it i dont feel sorry for you when you go bankrupt and i know alot of you guys work to get your overtime ...........road guys are the ones that earn there money cause you have to drive to get it, you dont make it sitting in a truck stop .......or standing around talking in the terminal or yard or reading the newspaper, sleeping in the truck(except for sleeper teams lol) and really most of you when you got hired you wanted to work do your job but you where told this is what you do and its been that way for a long time sad but true
You"re first 2 lines pretty much sums up a large part of the problem, CB309.

Walk around with a bill in your hand if asked "what you're doing by a supervisor"........Looking for freight the dock location is wrong, do you know where it is????

Your freight is in the aisle it says on bill..along with a mountain of other freight. You just have to dig it out

when you find it​

The reason for cross docking is to eliminate or cut down on the amount of labor involved.Ecspecially effective for dock operations that have laborers that don't do their job.Im not saying that our people are slackers and that cross docking isn't completely fail proof.Without the right type of management.Cross docking is useless.

Cross docking, if done correctly actually should add more jobs. You loaded absolutely every piece of freight that you could load in an 8 hour shift, you would move about 40 bills in one shift, have cross docked about 86% of your freight and only unloaded 2 trailers at the most on the inbound and about 3-5 on the outbound. You would still be running about 3.5 to 4.5 bills an hour and management would leave you alone and let you work. You'd even have time to bull**** with your buddies. I do it just about every shift I work and you can build quality loads if management puts the right trailers in the doors. It's not hard. But that's my opinion.

BMCotter,
I looked at your #'s and yes, that's doable but, you know as well as I do, ya gotta be fed the right trailers with the right freight on them and as you said, management has to have the right trailers in the doors to load. Start your day off with a s%&t load and half the outbound loading doors don't have trailers in or the last shift loaded crap freight on the floor of the outbound's ( so management gets their #'s) and see where your #'s go.

I don't think your gona get anyone to argue that the checkers need to load as much as they can if, and again, that's a big IF, their freight is compatible but, to push ppl to load their freight no matter what just to make their #'s look good is asinine, costing untold man hours, tearing up Customers freight and we as a company will continue to struggle until this mind set is changed.

This is our Company and yes there are those that are pissed about our wage and pension concessions (including me) but, this is still OUR Company, our home and the vast majority want to see it succeed. We know our jobs, we know how to do our jobs efficiently but, until management pulls their collective heads outa their a%^&s and we work together as a team instead of this adversarial environment we are in now...(A good example of this is this BULL S$%T foot ball league, pitting terminals against each other (this is like having Oakland playing against itself in the play offs).) WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME TEAM!!!! Our opponents are the other freight company's, not ourselves!...

Again, WE know how to do our jobs and we are damn good at it (like I said before, 16 straight quarters of record profit is hard to argue with) when management works with us instead of against us.