ABF | did ABF's withdrawal from TMI put the company at risk instead of protecting it like w

BIG STEVE

TB Regular
Credits
i think so
abf by not participating in the nmfa negotiations has placed the company in a position of vulnerability to a strike action

a strike action that would devastate the company for sure
forcing a strike by insisting on concessions that cannot be given while the remaining TMI carriers will operate unimpeded is corporate *******

i feel ABF's overtures to their unionized employees will fall far short resultwise of what the corporate office wished for

a strike authorization vote of ABF employees should be the IBT's next move especially if they are as pissed off as they claim to be about ABF's withdrawal from NMFA negotiations

that move will send a clear message to ABF that the path they are going down is the wrong one FOR BOTH SIDES it will also display how serious the Teamsters at ABF take management's folly:smilie_132::smilie_132:

From what I here most of the drivers can't afford to strike. I heard drivers complaining that they couldn't work the holiday. There are too many guys living paycheck to paycheck for there to be a strike.
P.S. And the ones complaining were toward the top of the board.

Well I think it's a little premature to predict a strike. I suspect it will depend whether or not you're willing to continue to sustain the continued beatings. The disciplinary letters are flowing here in Chicago, and most of the guys are looking for jobs. Having said that I would predict that a vote FOR a strike is imminent. I would not be surprised for this to come to fruition.

You know for the most part the companies ambition to negotiate the agreement outside the confines of the bargaining table are really not having the desired effect they expect. Unless they are looking to anger the majority of the employees. Perhaps their rhetoric should be reserved for the bargaining table for our elected Union officials designated to make an informed decision, based on facts presented.

The withdrawal from TMI, really is of no consequence to us.

From what I here most of the drivers can't afford to strike. I heard drivers complaining that they couldn't work the holiday. There are too many guys living paycheck to paycheck for there to be a strike.
P.S. And the ones complaining were toward the top of the board.

in reality no one can afford a strike neither the men nor the company
if you are content with what is going on then shut up
just don't tell the company " oh i can't afford to go on strike" like you are doin, as that only will subject you to more concessionary rhetoric
the company will increase their wishlist as they will sense weakness
if not express your opinion contrary to what the company is asking as that will insure that things stay the same:hide:

It doesn't matter that ABF is standing alone,they are still a Teamster company.
Aswell as all of their workers are still members of the IBT.
Your union rep.s are the ones who will advise their members if its smart to call a strike against any Teamster company,or not.
This is not something a few members can make up their minds on doing.

If you are troubled with the idea of the ABF pull out, talk it over with your union rep.'s,and see how they are viewing this issue.
After all this is what your dues money is being taken out of your pay every month for.

If you are troubled with the idea of the ABF pull out, talk it over with your union rep.'s,and see how they are viewing this issue.
After all this is what your dues money is being taken out of your pay every month for.

What their decision was to withdraw from TMI means, is simply they wanted to negotiate on their own. This is of no real consequence to us. The negotiations may differ on an item or two, for example, to expand PSE, or other "flexibility" issues, and thats okay. What I don't agree with is the managements' attitude of "my way or the highway". We will have the NMFA on our agreement, with the corresponding supplements, and revised work rules, or we will be stepping out for a walk on the curb.

If it comes time for a strike. That is up to the Big Bad Bob, and his merry men. We will give them every opportunity to avert an action. However, the atmosphere created by management here in Chicago in the last 18 months, indicates to me that they want to play hardball. When its our turn to bat, watch out. We have the home run batters on our side.

For more of my opinions, please be present at the Teamsters Local 710 meeting next Sunday. There really is more to share, but I prefer to sound off about this, from within the friendly confines of the Union Hall.

However, the atmosphere created by management here in Chicago in the last 18 months, indicates to me that they want to play hardball. When its our turn to bat, watch out.

Well dude, I heard from the company stupard that all this crap coming from the king and the jester upstairs, and is directed by the yutz in the dome, slammin deadly, the holders of the scepter of the emperor, The Bob of Fart Schmitt, himself. Maybe they are lookin for a pivot man, and ya know that JE from Corporal Disgust, is the likely candidate.

Don't worry dude, we are all behind you and that other guy. :1036316054:

Risk of a strike

I think we should have unionized UPS freight after the NMFA was settled. I'm affraid this is a set up, And big Steve is on the money. Remember Bob D is the one who can afford to strike not us. He is so outta touch with the working man, He probly doesn't know the average price of a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread he probly has a nanny do the shopping.
Attn, Bob D if your reading this I couldn't afford to strike the last time we walked but I did and I managed just fine like I will this time. I love to recycle and I still have my old picket sign. F*** it die with dignity.

T.H

strike no way

People use common sense, First the teamsters will not call for a strike vote. We cannot afford to LOOSE any more members in the freight divsion. If we do, you can kiss your pension goodbuy!!! Remember UPS freight is not in central states, So if abf were to go out, the teamsters dont have the money to supply the under funded pension now. The six million that ups paid, is for the package divison. Why do you think the teamsters let ups freight have a separate contract, Because UPS put stipulations on the six million dollars they gave the union so ups freight could have the upperhand on the union carriers,Plus it drives down the master freight contract also. Look at the new contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!

strike no way

People use common sense, First the teamsters will not call for a strike vote. We cannot afford to LOOSE any more members in the freight divsion. If we do, you can kiss your pension goodbuy!!! Remember UPS freight is not in central states, So if abf were to go out, the teamsters dont have the money to supply the under funded pension now. The six million that ups paid, is for the package divison. Why do you think the teamsters let ups freight have a separate contract, Because UPS put stipulations on the six million dollars they gave the union so ups freight could have the upperhand on the union carriers,Plus it drives down the master freight contract also. Look at the new contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People use common sense, First the teamsters will not call for a strike vote.

Don't count your chickens before they are hatched. Your speaking in the third party, so I assume that you are a management person. There will be a strike vote, if there is an impasse, of any sort. There was a strike vote during the last contract negotiations, and the Chicago locals affected, voted unanimously FOR a strike. Our people in Chicago are sick and tired of the crap going on around here, for about the last year and a half. We are not alone, the drivers I talk to from all over the system, have had enough. Many, if not most, are looking for alternative employment. Having said that, mirroring managements reign of terror, we have no problem voting to strike.

Common sense, you say? What is sensible about contract negotiation through writing warning letters for anything possible? If it is consideration the company is looking for, they need to consider the "per view" of the average employee, who is angry about the way things are being handled by management.
As my right honorable friend expressed last night, "there is no incentive to do a good job here right now, so why give a spit".

We cannot afford to LOOSE any more members in the freight divsion.
You're right.

If we do, you can kiss your pension goodbuy!!!
What does the freight division have to do with any pension? Nothing.

Remember UPS freight is not in central states, So if abf were to go out, the teamsters dont have the money to supply the under funded pension now.

For your information, the Teamsters Union, is not in control of the Central States Pension Fund. The fund is controlled by a board of trustees, with representatives from the Company and representatives of the Employees. Therefore, the employers are equally responsible for any funds and operations of the fund. For your information...

Trustees' Statement to Central States Members

The six million that ups paid, is for the package divison.

Yes, the package division of UPS that belonged to Central States Pension Fund will be allowed to withdraw, after a 6 billion dollar contribution to the Central States fund.

Why do you think the teamsters let ups freight have a separate contract, Because UPS put stipulations on the six million dollars they gave the union so ups freight could have the upperhand on the union carriers,Plus it drives down the master freight contract also.

The Union negotiated a FIRST contact, separate from the NMFA, in Indianapolis. That doesn't preclude following terminals from being closer to, or actually being signatory to the NMFA.

Look at the new contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, what contract are you talking about? Our contract expires on March 31, 2008. Are you talking about the UPSF contract, or are you talking about the UPS Parcel contract or the NMFA, that hasn't been officially published yet? Please specify what you want us to look at.

When you post next time, please post a credible, truthful argument. Your post here has no merit.

first of all brother you must use your brain when speaking and not use what you sit on.
we have no choice to negotiate from a position of strength as opposed to what you subscribe to. the stike threat is just that, a threat, it keeps the company from getting too stupid with their concession requests.
it forces them to come back to reality quicker as they know if we do strike they are sacrificing the company for sure, but that is their call not ours , remember there would be no strike action if their requests were reasonable in the first place.
the way abf is approaching the negotiations is wrong as they are attempting to appeal to us directly and bypass our legal representatives. bad move for sure as that will only serve to **** off the negotiators on the union side.
pulling out of TMI was another bad move as that is creating a second unneccessary round of talks.
why did ABF pull out of TMI? is it what Bob D stated," we do not want to be YRC's stepchild". that's BS and he knows it. he pulled out to attempt to withdraw from every teamster fund period and that was not a priority on YRC's agenda.
it turns out the IBT and all of the locals involved simply stated NO to that request, now what big Bob, where do we go from here? its your move now that's the reality of what's happening now so do not blame the union for taking a strike vote and causing you to be scared for your future. the very people you wish to negotiate from a weak stance with are the ones threatening your paycheck, pension, benefits and your economic future.
so if you wish to negotiate from where you are standing and the position you are in count me out brother as there is no way i could stand next to you ever!!!!!:chairshot: wake up and wake up soon!!!!!

now for some of your facts, you stated,"First the teamsters will not call for a strike vote. We cannot afford to LOOSE any more members in the freight divsion
if you wish to be taken seriously use spell check it's lose not loose
you stated,"The six million that ups paid, is for the package divison. brother let me tell you, you are way off base
it's 6.1 BILLION and that is alot more sheckles than 6 mil
it is not for the package division, it was a lump sum withdrawal payment paid to central states that will enable bennies to continue to be paid out to ALL central states participants
please wake up and state facts not horseshit
thank you and merry xmas

just my opinion.

Not management, city driver, sure are quick to label someone. I also walked the line in 94, I also lost my job 95 with merger of carolina freight. I have eightteen years in the teamsters and proud of it!!!!. Im also a shop steward, I go to work everyday, I do my job and I dont whine about it everytime something does not go my way. If the union says strike, Make no mistake, I will walk. I take NO CRAP off management,I stand by my brother and sisters in the union. So dont be to quick to judge, Be thankful for what you have, instead of what you want. Sorry if I step on toes, Merry Xmas and happy new year.

Now we can talk about the risk factor as to when the tentative agreement passes. The Teamster's will go back to ABF. And say we have a NMFA - - would you like your employee's to vote on it?

Now we can talk about the risk factor as to when the tentative agreement passes. The Teamster's will go back to ABF. And say we have a NMFA - - would you like your employee's to vote on it?
That would be an excellent late Christmas gift for Trucker Bob wouldn't it?

merrydxmas1.gif

Not management, city driver, sure are quick to label someone. I also walked the line in 94, I also lost my job 95 with merger of carolina freight. I have eightteen years in the teamsters and proud of it!!!!. Im also a shop steward, I go to work everyday, I do my job and I dont whine about it everytime something does not go my way. If the union says strike, Make no mistake, I will walk. I take NO CRAP off management,I stand by my brother and sisters in the union. So dont be to quick to judge, Be thankful for what you have, instead of what you want. Sorry if I step on toes, Merry Xmas and happy new year.

Yeah right. Merry Christmas