FedEx Freight | Disengaged Employees

Richard Cranium

TB Legend
Credits
Because management allegedly lurks here......
Not wanting to start a whining session either.
What are things that cause employees to become alienated or disengaged and what, in your opinion, could management do to fix the situation?

Because management allegedly lurks here......
Not wanting to start a whining session either.
What are things that cause employees to become alienated or disengaged and what, in your opinion, could management do to fix the situation?[/. I'd have to say laziness #1!!! Some people think that FEDEX owes them something for working here.
I'd have to say reason #1 LAZINESS!!! Some people that work here think FEDEX owes them something just for working here.

And how does their laziness affect you directly and how should management correct this?
When one of your coworkers says "man I'm gonna work as slow as possible today " or you see people taking a nap in a parking lot somewhere, and I have to take up the slack I believe that affects me. As far as how to fix it.... management can tell who's working and who's not, I'm no dummy!Also when you think your about to go home and one of your dispatchers tells you "I'm gonna send you after so and so's freight cause I know you'll get it done faster than they will ".

I'm usually checking and re-hanging the chains when I'm under my shade tree....that's still considered work, right?

Our most recent SCM came in(2 years ago) with all his city drivers fully engaged. Everyone worked hard and went home. This was about a year and a half ago. Now they all drag their feet. Keep their head down, mouth shut and just try to make it through each day.

What happened? Well this guy runs things his way. Came in and before he started learning anything about the way our end of the line center runs, he was making changes directly affecting everyone and everything.

It basically boils down to this. Our "numbers" don't justify enough drivers to service our current customers. We've done nothing but lose freight since he's started. (Some of it 10 miles from the depot) I had finally had enough and called the big boss in STL. Only to be told I'm sure our SCM is doing all he can to grow the business. (While he's losing customers)

This will lose the engagement of your driver's. Our whole center doesn't have the, let's grow, let's do all we can every day attitude we used to. There's no future here if we continue like this. And no one I've spoken with seems to give a damn.

Sorry so long winded, but it really pisses me off to see all the hard work I've put in working our customers, getting more freight, doing leads, busting my butt all this time, be pissed away bc our boss says our numbers can't justify enough drivers.

I pitched the idea of a Toronto-Winnipeg linehaul run directly to the director of operations. I was told that there wasn't enough freight returning from WNP to justify the lane, but that they were working on growing that business by opening a new terminal in WNP.

The new terminal opened a couple of years ago. And it's still completely isolated from everywhere except Fargo. No domestic connection to Calgary or Toronto. Vancouver was relocated to the TransForce yard in Burnaby, with all related dock work done by unionized Canadian Freightways employees. One 53' van is exchanged between Vancouver and Calgary every night.

If FedEx would pursue domestic growth in Canada, freight from Toronto could land in Vancouver in as little as 3 days. Freight to Calgary could be run in less than 2 days. Other carriers have plenty of freight in these lanes and it is considered of value since trucks can run Toronto to Winnipeg in 24 hours. Freight trains take at least 36.

It made me sad that FedEx had no interest in really growing their Canadian LTL presence, especially since Ground does run those lanes at extensive profit.