XPO | Do we really need CFI (conway truckload)

strunguptight

TB Lurker
Credits
I start off saying I'm not pointing just asking a question.Our truckload division is only getting around 2000 miles a week (according to the drivers) . Seems to me we are overkill on truckload drivers.Conway is paying extra benefits on drivers they don't need and are not that productive.All they do is drive.Couldn't Conway just do away with the Truckload divison and save money.It should save quite abite of money.Use subservice on the TRUE dead end lanes that way there would be no overhead.Conways DSR already does 80 percent of the work anyway.Yes conway freight makes more money but we also do more work under differnt classifications and we are more qualified.Just would like to know someone else's opinion especially if your in mangement.

In case you missed it, a year or two back, Con-way shelled out like $750,000,000 for CFI.

Let me introduce you to a bird. His name is crow. Con-way likes chicken, but they don't eat crow.

how do you "do away" with a division of your company? Check your numbers, Con-Way Truckload performed excellent last year when considering the economy. Maybe we should check their threads and see if they are discussing how to "do away" with the LTL division that's bringing down their value.

Actually they have modified their role within the system. Due to the drop in freight they are replacing other sub-carriers that were hauling our LTL freight. You will see a lot more single drivers hooking trailers for relays. They (Truckload) are doing everything possible to also operate in the black in these terrible economic times.

how do you "do away" with a division of your company? Check your numbers, Con-Way Truckload performed excellent last year when considering the economy. Maybe we should check their threads and see if they are discussing how to "do away" with the LTL division that's bringing down their value.

Actually they have modified their role within the system. Due to the drop in freight they are replacing other sub-carriers that were hauling our LTL freight. You will see a lot more single drivers hooking trailers for relays. They (Truckload) are doing everything possible to also operate in the black in these terrible economic times.

How dare you do the research and actually have the facts to support what you say...!!!

For Shame..!!!!!

You'll blend better if you just wing it like some others...

How dare you do the research and actually have the facts to support what you say...!!!

For Shame..!!!!!

You'll blend better if you just wing it like some others...

Na... I tried blending, all that worrying just kept me up at night. As my avatar reflects... Chicken Little Syndrome Survivor. My skies quit falling the day I realized they were my skies and it was up to me to keep them up there.

Con-way truck load doesn't only work for our LTL divison. They have tons of their own customers. Therefore just because its a dead end for us they can haul someone elses frieght. You truely can't compare what they do to what we do as its entirely differnt work.

Con-way truck load doesn't only work for our LTL divison. They have tons of their own customers. Therefore just because its a dead end for us they can haul someone elses frieght. You truely can't compare what they do to what we do as its entirely differnt work.

ditto!

Rat :loser:

Still laughing over the "shame on you for stating factual statements and figures"comments. What kind of driver would quote actual figures/facts and expect an intelligent answer. This is better than sitting around a round table in a truck stop in the middle of the night listening to the rumors and /B.S.. I can turn this off and go to bed (retired) instead of going back out in the cold snowy night and getting in my garbage can and shutting the door and leaving !! Thanks for the laughs !!!

:hide: Screw Conway Truckload! They did not and will not ever build our company, and grow it the way we did!
They are long haul drivers. nothing more, nothing less!.:smilie_132:

:hide: Screw Conway Truckload! They did not and will not ever build our company, and grow it the way we did!
They are long haul drivers. nothing more, nothing less!.:smilie_132:

A little testy aren't we?

The notion of isolationism regarding the greatness of Con-Way and its growth is to say at the very least...dated.

"We did this" and "we did that" is a rather naive mindset.

Every part of Con-Way is a valuable asset. Be it truckload...Menlo...logisitcs... or any other part. We provide a service. And that is all we have to sell. By offering many types of service, it gives a leg up on the competition. You may one day thank Con-Way for truckload. It may very well save your job.

Truckload is doing better than any other part of Con-Way. Not only are they doing sub-service, but they have their own customer base as well...

It is just one service of the many we provide...and diversity is the name of the game.

On a personal note...I wouldn't work for the cheap SOBs...$60 holiday pay???...blow me!!!

A little testy aren't we?

The notion of isolationism regarding the greatness of Con-Way and its growth is to say at the very least...dated.

"We did this" and "we did that" is a rather naive mindset.

Every part of Con-Way is a valuable asset. Be it truckload...Menlo...logisitcs... or any other part. We provide a service. And that is all we have to sell. By offering many types of service, it gives a leg up on the competition. You may one day thank Con-Way for truckload. It may very well save your job.

Truckload is doing better than any other part of Con-Way. Not only are they doing sub-service, but they have their own customer base as well...

It is just service of the many we provide...and diversity is the name of the game.

On a personal note...I wouldn't work for the cheap SOBs...$60 holiday pay???...blow me!!!

Ditto! It gives our sales staff one more service to sell to hopefully get the LTL. I'm all for anything that keeps Con-way strong and me employed.

Guys/Gals I did not mean it to sound like I was hopeing for anybody to loose there job, I just wanted some opinons, I do apoligize if it was taken that way.I sill can't see how it is profitable haveing (for example) 100 guys doing 50 guys work look at the miles some of them say they get.Conway freight took stratigic measures when our freight droped and layed guys of or economical terminated.I know this is a touchy subject , I know I've been there (layed off). Oh,yes I guess Conway Truckload should show a profit(more than ltl) more overhead in ltl.And for the cat that says yall have your on freight, why don't yall get more miles.Just asking a question I'm not trying to argue.Another thing the last time I checked NMP to NKX is not a dead-end lane.So why does truckload and subservice haul it.Question that's all I'm asking ,even though some maybe a little dense,dumb,or just plain stupid. Thx have good day/night.

They didn't build it..but they are helping keep it afloat.

:hide: They are taking away good paying LTL linehaul jobs. Conway is basically cutting the throats of their dedicated and hard working L/H drivers. This reminds me of the food companys that outsourced manufacturing to Chinese companys, only to have their good name tarnished due to lack of quality control.
The old saying " you get what you pay for " still holds true.:smilie_132:

In a word yes.All large;now we are large get used to it; are offering integrated serve. With UPS and FED EX starting to get into the market and offering envelope to truckload service Conway has to compete. i doubt we are going to touch envlope but we have to offer truckload.

All are in CNW history .

CNW was created by WHAT ENTITY ?
CNW was created WHY ?
CNW has had TRUCKLOAD how many times ?

I will defer to the more knowledgable to
provide additional info .

Just4Thought
Your the only person that refers to this company as CNW. If you want to get technical CNW has only been around for about 4 years.. IF you want to get technical..

Trivia: What was the name of the conglomerate when the unprofitable CF was spun-off?

Your the only person that refers to this company as CNW. If you want to get technical CNW has only been around for about 4 years.. IF you want to get technical..

Trivia: What was the name of the conglomerate when the unprofitable CF was spun-off?

OOOH....I know this one....pick me:wavey:...!!!!