XPO | Do we really need CFI (conway truckload)

Your the only person that refers to this company as CNW. If you want to get technical CNW has only been around for about 4 years.. IF you want to get technical..

Trivia: What was the name of the conglomerate when the unprofitable CF was spun-off?

Now we are making headway .

For those that can NOT get the " BIG PICTURE " ,

CNW IS CF .

OH YES , minus the reason CNW was created .

Just4Thought

I would like to know where the moron got his information to claim the ltl division drivers of Conway "are more qualified",based on what?

im all for eliminataing empty miles because it saves the company money from fuel among other things. The only difference is that we freight drivers have to return to our starting location within our HOS. Truckload guys can sleep in the truck or motel until a load is ready to go.

i understand certain markets have a lot coming in and very little relatively coming back, so that creates empty miles. thus the reason for using truckload.

but im still scared that they might figure out a way to eliminate all long runs one day by using truckload for all our linehaul, man that would totally suck. But remember with pups you can sort and segregate and create headloads and pures. if a long box arrives late and you need some pallets in the nose end of the trailer it's going to take a while to unload. you never know though

I would like to know where the moron got his information to claim the ltl division drivers of Conway "are more qualified",based on what?

The above first time post in itself may well be proof of that .

No " Quote " attached .
Name calling .

Good Luck

Just4Thought

all of us have haz-mat and doubles triples endorsement

we also work the dock

there is a reason they pay the average linedriver at freight between 60 and 85 thousand a year. That is $22 something an hour and 54 cents a mile my friend. What do you get, like 32 cents a mile? Oh yeah forgot to mention we are home every night and off every weekend.

they dont pay us more for no reason either, jump on a forklift one of these days and do a 23 bill break out, when your finally done, do another, when you start to get tired it's time to hook a set among 30 other drivers hooking a set and drive home for 4 hours.

was that serious question?

im all for eliminataing empty miles because it saves the company money from fuel among other things. The only difference is that we freight drivers have to return to our starting location within our HOS. Truckload guys can sleep in the truck or motel until a load is ready to go.

i understand certain markets have a lot coming in and very little relatively coming back, so that creates empty miles. thus the reason for using truckload.

but im still scared that they might figure out a way to eliminate all long runs one day by using truckload for all our linehaul, man that would totally suck. But remember with pups you can sort and segregate and create headloads and pures. if a long box arrives late and you need some pallets in the nose end of the trailer it's going to take a while to unload. you never know though

I can see NO possible reason that CNW would NOT
use T/L to pull all pups possible and MORE of
purchase to pull all 53's as possible .

Lower costs with less equipment and fewer employees .

Of course , when I addressed and questioned this very subject when CFI was purchased , I was laughed at , and assured that the purchase of CFI was NOT to eliminate any CNW runs or employees .

Who is laughing now ?

Just4Thought

I believe the same thing we will be running only runs 200 miles or less round trip....the days of the 4 or 5 hundred miles runs will be gone.I would love to just drive but i need more mile than they are offering .give me 3 turns at 1200mile apiece and 1 day home and i would be in heaven,,,but a 2200 mile a week my question is what dothey do the other 4 days in that week....lolololol

In case you missed it, a year or two back, Con-way shelled out like $750,000,000 for CFI.

Let me introduce you to a bird. His name is crow. Con-way likes chicken, but they don't eat crow.

also they paid that 750million dollar bridge loan off in about a year,,and the company web sight says we are a 200billion dollar strong company

also they paid that 750million dollar bridge loan off in about a year,,and the company web sight says we are a 200billion dollar strong company

If the above post included a link to
the documentation regarding CNW being
a 200b company , it must have been
some how deleted .

Just4Thought

I start off saying I'm not pointing just asking a question.Our truckload division is only getting around 2000 miles a week (according to the drivers) . Seems to me we are overkill on truckload drivers.Conway is paying extra benefits on drivers they don't need and are not that productive.All they do is drive.Couldn't Conway just do away with the Truckload divison and save money.It should save quite abite of money.Use subservice on the TRUE dead end lanes that way there would be no overhead.Conways DSR already does 80 percent of the work anyway.Yes conway freight makes more money but we also do more work under differnt classifications and we are more qualified.Just would like to know someone else's opinion especially if your in mangement.

Due to the economy there is a huge amount of excess capacity in all aspects of transportation. LTL, Truckload, everything. Yes the truckload drivers are driving less, but they are still working. We gave up 5% of our pay and they have given up pay also, in the form of mileage.

For decades the competition of companies like ours has been companies like ours. By this I mean the survivors have lived off the inefficiencies of competitors and shippers. Shrinking markets and less route density are the biggest nails in the coffin for most carriers not surviving. For our company to survive and prosper in the next 20 years you can not look at our company as only an LTL carrier. Industry annalists believe our company is one of the only LTL carriers poised to prosper from "out of the box" thinking. To accomplish this you must figure a way to not just haul the customer's freight, but you must partner with the customer to offer a service that helps their bottom line and profitability. To do this you must be global in your market reach, flexible in the process you offer, and ready to react to innovations in supply chain optimization. Innovations in supply chain means third party logistics... Menlo, and alternatives to LTL... Truckload. Do you allow the customer to shop for these services with someone else? Or do you try to put the money they spend in your own pocket?

If you could go back to the late seventies and be a fly on the wall in the CF Board Room, what might the conversation be in strategical planning for the creation of the Con-Way companies? They changed the whole industry in 1983 and we are on the edge of changing it again. CF created a new product in response to a changing world (Japanese principles of manufacturing in America) and we are doing it again. Change is necessary and change is required for profitability.

Due to the economy there is a huge amount of excess capacity in all aspects of transportation. LTL, Truckload, everything. Yes the truckload drivers are driving less, but they are still working. We gave up 5% of our pay and they have given up pay also, in the form of mileage.

For decades the competition of companies like ours has been companies like ours. By this I mean the survivors have lived off the inefficiencies of competitors and shippers. Shrinking markets and less route density are the biggest nails in the coffin for most carriers not surviving. For our company to survive and prosper in the next 20 years you can not look at our company as only an LTL carrier. Industry annalists believe our company is one of the only LTL carriers poised to prosper from "out of the box" thinking. To accomplish this you must figure a way to not just haul the customer's freight, but you must partner with the customer to offer a service that helps their bottom line and profitability. To do this you must be global in your market reach, flexible in the process you offer, and ready to react to innovations in supply chain optimization. Innovations in supply chain means third party logistics... Menlo, and alternatives to LTL... Truckload. Do you allow the customer to shop for these services with someone else? Or do you try to put the money they spend in your own pocket?

If you could go back to the late seventies and be a fly on the wall in the CF Board Room, what might the conversation be in strategical planning for the creation of the Con-Way companies? They changed the whole industry in 1983 and we are on the edge of changing it again. CF created a new product in response to a changing world (Japanese principles of manufacturing in America) and we are doing it again. Change is necessary and change is required for profitability.

Damn good post!!!!

Rat

Well, we are a 5 billion dollar corporation....I can't recall ever reading anywhere that we were a 200 billion dollar carrier...

Ok i probably read it wrong,and yes I can say i was wrong,,,but does a company claiming to be so financially strong need to take thier emplyees pension plan???

Ok i probably read it wrong,and yes I can say i was wrong,,,but does a company claiming to be so financially strong need to take thier emplyees pension plan???

5 billion in revenue as a corporation may seem like alot of money, but remember, Trucking companies as a rule have some thin margins to begin with...
Pensions have been disappearing all over the place since 2002, simply because changes in the rules will make it near impossible for companies to keep up with them...
The most recent takeaways (and I can see the eyeballs in the bushes already) were a matter of survival, and temporary...Temporary IF this country's economy rebounds...

I refuse to discuss the political side of this, out of respect to some of my TB colleagues...

5 billion in revenue as a corporation may seem like alot of money, but remember, Trucking companies as a rule have some thin margins to begin with...
Pensions have been disappearing all over the place since 2002, simply because changes in the rules will make it near impossible for companies to keep up with them...
The most recent takeaways (and I can see the eyeballs in the bushes already) were a matter of survival, and temporary...Temporary IF this country's economy rebounds...

I refuse to discuss the political side of this, out of respect to some of my TB colleagues...

Changes in the rules that Conway bought.....er lobbied for enable corporations like our own to simply stop funding pensions. Its painfully obvious that we could have continued with a viable pension and still be a class carrier with no debt and good morale. But the downside; We would have to shelve this obsession we have for T/L carriers.