Yellow | Does Any One Like Working for Yellow?

yo jimmy b.....

i like it here too......

even when i was first starting out, it was better than everything else before....

no matter what any whiner says the attrition rate here is the same as ever, 4%......

if there was a better job i'd be working it....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Since I realize that I don't like working for anyone, this is as easy as it gets, I guess. I've enjoyed other places more, but they couldn't stay in business; maybe that should tell us something.........

They treat me extremely nicely! All you gotta do is show up, and show you care and try......(but I do wish I could retire tomorrow)

I do like it when it is more busy, but when it is slow like it has been the last couple months it is very stressful. There are things there that I dislike, but overall I like it. Also, love wining too, but I always have been dramatic.... : )

Yellow is not for me. Guess I been independant too long. Worked two days on the dock,and when ever I seen all the micro managment going on, and all the casuals working, I thought, I can get over this. Then some of the casuals tried to sabatoge my performance by mixing shipments whenever I was not looking. I caught one casual employee red handed. I explained it to the dock forum. He laughed. Then another casual employee said that I was considered competition, that alot of the casuals were trying to get hired regular. I guess I would have been more persistant back in the days of the class 5 D.L. Today if you have a CDL CLASS A with all the endorsements you don't have to take that kind of treatment. It reminded me of a time in history whenever there were no jobs and the straw bosses could do a employee anyway they wanted to. Today if you are patient you can find driver positions that will allow great home time and the pay is in some cases more than the pay at yellow whenever you take into account the extra perks. I am not chasing the pension so I don't have to take managments negative treatment. The union truck lines it appears have taken on the same approach as some of the truckload carriers regarding hiring practices. No experience necessary we will train. Yellow has a school. ABF has a school. What ever happened to the 1 year experience deal? Yellow is a great company if you have a good bit of seniorty. For a person with no finiancial responsibility starting out with Yellow would most likely work. I chose not to persue the job simply because of the arrogance of managment. I guess its the new enviroment in terms of culture. It seemed to me that yelling at the casuals regarding 4 bills an hour while in a huddle is the new approach to getting the production met. I am a ex union officer from back in the early 90's with CWA. If that kind of language had been used within the bell system to enhance performance by managment someone would have been in a lot of trouble topside.

Back in the drivers seat, so long.

Jake,
Too bad you couldn't get through all the BS until you got on as a regular. The yelling you experienced as a casual would've more than likely stopped when you got on the board because then the bosses know you don't have to take it. I hope things are better wherever you end up.

Jake,

I too am sorry that it didn't work out for you. In the beginging it was hard for me. Had never driven a fork lift. And there was the 3 graveyard shifts, than the two swing shifts and a sunday day shift each week for a year that made it hard. But, I looked at it like I was paying my "dues."

Jimmy B

does anyone like working at yellow

I have to say it is a great job,despite the anti-driver sentiments we get in BUF,seems we are thought of as the enemy and treated like high-school kids.

I love Yellow Freight. I never made so much money and had such excellent benefits anywhere else. I started out working one day a week and really had my doubts getting put on call for midnight then 11:00 a.m. but now Im sitting like a fat rat and wearing my Yellow Racing on the weekends and going to the union meeting hanging with all my brothers. I played by the rules when I was on the bottom and now seniority rules when Im at the top. The rules that screwed me then work for me now. If your a good worker stick with it. If your a bandwagon jumper move on but my guess is if you move on you may regret it.

I'll be on the STL road board 20 years in July. I like it here as it's the best job you can have as a driver. I don't always agree with Yellow by any means, but in STL it's not bad at all. We have probably the best work rues around.
LazyLarry,
I never looked at like the work rules were screwing me when I was new. I understood why they were in place and knew in time it wouldn't be an issue as I got a little seniority. I think alot of new guys now expect that there's gonna be fulltime work right from the start, but we all know that's not likely in the LTL business. I agree with you that the jumpers will regret not sticking it out.

This will probally **** some off, then again most of you will know I am right. Itis the best driving job I have ever had in my 33 years in the business. I have 18 with Yellow....which gives me the right to complain. For too many years, casuals have been subjected to abuse. Then they get on and management wonders why they changed their attitudes?

The driver shortage is getting them. The reputation has precided them. The younger generation will not truck 24/7/365! They want to be home on the weekends. You "old timers" know we had to have 2 years experience with doubles before they would even consider you as a driver. They have now lowered their hiring standards.....their quality of a driver.....and things have become terrible as gos the moral. You know what I say is true.....just some will not speak out.

As I said, it is the best driving job I have every had, which gives me the right to complain when OUR standards are lowered to fill the seats of our trucks!.....KK

Kennesaw Kid said:
This will probally **** some off, then again most of you will know I am right. Itis the best driving job I have ever had in my 33 years in the business. I have 18 with Yellow....which gives me the right to complain. For too many years, casuals have been subjected to abuse. Then they get on and management wonders why they changed their attitudes?

The driver shortage is getting them. The reputation has precided them. The younger generation will not truck 24/7/365! They want to be home on the weekends. You "old timers" know we had to have 2 years experience with doubles before they would even consider you as a driver. They have now lowered their hiring standards.....their quality of a driver.....and things have become terrible as gos the moral. You know what I say is true.....just some will not speak out.

As I said, it is the best driving job I have every had, which gives me the right to complain when OUR standards are lowered to fill the seats of our trucks!.....KK

Amen, Brother. I don't think you'll get any legitimate arguments about this.

I never worked at Yellow but know a few drivers there, good guys.
Went through the hiring process and all the management I met also seemed decent, of course I wasn't an employee yet, lol.

FM

Bonzo said:
I was a Teamster pulling a tanker for 20 years before coming to Yellow. Wish I had come here 20 years ago!! Best job I ever had!!

Gotta agree with you on this one! Wish I came here 17 yrs. ago.:tribehasspoken:

And the shame of the whole thing is some of the w h i n e r s, who never worked anywhere else think this job sucks.:duh: They could never be any more wrong!

I dont have an opinion because I never got started but I can echo some of your thoughts. I've spent 6 weeks on the linehaul extra board at CVE and still have not made my first run. The more I learn about the job, I'm not sure if I even want it. Why? Its the 24/7/365 thing. At 43 yrs old, living next to the phone isn't how I want to spend my next 20 yrs. I'm willing to start at the bottom but I thought "with seniority" would come a set schedule at some point. I like my weekends and want to know I can make plans without worrying about getting out of work. I didnt realize no one at CVE had set bids. Now I have a job offer from Conway. Same thing, first couple years suck, I know that. But they don't work weekends and have set starting times (not the flex board of course). At least thats what I was told. And no overnights in motels. Bad part is there's more dockwork involved. I was pretty excited when I got hired at Yellow. Now I'm not sure. The flex board at Conway is a wheel board so when it's slow at least you get something. Pay and bennies are pretty equal, teamster pension is better, I'm just not sure I can handle being on call until the day I retire. Is it really like that?