Yellow | DOT Issues Proposed Rule Requiring Electronic On-Board Recorders

R-14Driver

TB Legend
Credits
DOT Issues Proposed Rule Requiring Electronic On-Board Recorders for Interstate Commercial Truck and Bus Companies
Department Continues Groundbreaking Partnership with Cornell University to Engage Public in Rulemaking Process

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) today issued a regulatory proposal that would require interstate commercial truck and bus companies to install electronic on-board recorders (EOBRs) to monitor their drivers' hours-of-service (HOS) compliance.

The proposed rule would also relieve interstate motor carriers from retaining certain HOS supporting documents, such as delivery and toll receipts, which are currently used to verify the total number of hours drivers spend operating the vehicle. This part of the proposal fulfills an order of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia requiring FMCSA to publish a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking regarding supporting documents by January 31, 2011.

"We cannot protect our roadways when commercial truck and bus companies exceed hours-of-service rules," said Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "This proposal would make our roads safer by ensuring that carriers traveling across state lines are using EOBRs to track the hours their drivers spend behind the wheel."

EOBRs are devices attached to commercial vehicles that automatically record the number of hours drivers spend operating the vehicle. Several carriers, including Schneider National, Maverick USA, J.B. Hunt, Knight Transportation and U.S. Express Enterprise, have already installed EOBR technology on their fleets. Approximately 500,000 carriers would be affected by the proposed rule................

News Release - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Is operation of this device included on the line haul drivers job description? This may be beyond the technical expertise of some drivers and require a training day.

Do not worry about the operation of this technical BS. The company can't afford to buy them.
Is operation of this device included on the line haul drivers job description? This may be beyond the technical expertise of some drivers and require a training day.

I think this is for truckload not ltl. And yes this would be very expensive. The only one in ltl that might get them is ups.

It said any carrier required to use logs books to track hours of service would be affected...thats YRC

I personally have no problem with them being used....it will stop some of these 75 MPH pencils on a log book and 700 mile runs....maybe even get a few drivers back to work!....KK

log books are not required in a city op less then a 50 mi radius from base

I have never used one​

"Welcome to the USSA"..... I love it when somebody else decides what's best for me, all this time I thought I knew when I was tired and needed to stop whether it was after 3hrs or 12. This will do nothing but push drivers further into driving when they don't want to.
They will not make the roads safer, accidents will still happen and probably more of them, you can not fix the way a driver drives or the other vehicles around us no matter what regs the push on us. Is there a study out there that showed that carriers with them had less accidents because of eobr's?...

"Welcome to the USSA"..... I love it when somebody else decides what's best for me, all this time I thought I knew when I was tired and needed to stop whether it was after 3hrs or 12. This will do nothing but push drivers further into driving when they don't want to.
They will not make the roads safer, accidents will still happen and probably more of them, you can not fix the way a driver drives or the other vehicles around us no matter what regs the push on us. Is there a study out there that showed that carriers with them had less accidents because of eobr's?...
I would have thought that drivers would rather have a dashboard camera, than to schedule a doctor's appointment in order to have something shoved up their :moon2:, to make it glow in the dark like ET's heart.

and stop some of those smaller companies that "gently" force there drivers to backup there logs with loose leafs and drive insane amounts of times and distances.

I personally have no problem with them being used....it will stop some of these 75 MPH pencils on a log book and 700 mile runs....maybe even get a few drivers back to work!....KK

Our Greedsters will still find away around it. And the companies will allow the violations, that way they don't have to call people back. Just like it is in the City operations right now.

We are swithching over to these where I am now. After some initial push back from a few, the drivers actually like them (including those that didn't right away). It does all the work for you and keeps you legal to boot.

log books are not required in a city op less then a 50 mi radius from base

I have never used one​
Log books are used in the city also.

(1.)If over 100 miles from point A to point B.(by the way the crow flies)
(2.)If the driver is over 12 hours. (punch to punch)
(3.)If the driver drove more than 250 miles, it must be logged.