SAIA | DriveCam ... By Lytx

Its called control.company can listen in on you all in case there is talk of that 5 letter word..
Yep, Theres always going to be that battle of control, staying one step ahead of them really irritates them, especially when they can't figure out how you're doing it.

I once worked for Conway.I know the in trepidation and fear some have about going to work plus the right work law.I learned the game and I knew what I could get away with and what I couldnt.We get into trouble just asking for the rule book from the TM

Yep, Theres always going to be that battle of control, staying one step ahead of them really irritates them, especially when they can't figure out how you're doing it.
I'm pleased to see the Smart1 was banned. Trying to circumvent DriveCam with a device that would disable it was inexcusable. Then trying to sell it on here for $125.00 really crossed the line. I'm not even sure it actually existed and I think it was just a total scam. I fully expect the lane departure button to be disabled very soon. All I can say is learn to adapt guys. Hell, I have and I run the city where at times it can be a real annoyance but it will make you a safer driver. DriveCam is a good thing and I hope in time many of you will understand that.

The lane deviator and the lytx camera are not connected the lytx camera has its own lane deviator settings. it makes no difference if they take out the deviator switch it sends its info through the bendix safety direct system through the trucks communication systems. the lytx camera links directly to lytx via cell service. I believe there is some legal reason for the deviator cancel switch to be there or they would have disabled it a long time ago and would have never ordered it on the new trucks it says in the book it's there to use it in construction zones.

The lane deviator and the lytx camera are not connected the lytx camera has its own lane deviator settings. it makes no difference if they take out the deviator switch it sends its info through the bendix safety direct system through the trucks communication systems. the lytx camera links directly to lytx via cell service. I believe there is some legal reason for the deviator cancel switch to be there or they would have disabled it a long time ago and would have never ordered it on the new trucks it says in the book it's there to use it in construction zones.
I should have rephrased that statement. Let me put it this way. The lane departure button is not being used the way it was intended to be used.

I should have rephrased that statement. Let me put it this way. The lane departure button is not being used the way it was intended to be used.

The speakers used for the lane deviation tones are separate from the ones for the radio. All you have to do is pop them out and unplug them. Problem solved.

The speakers used for the lane deviation tones are separate from the ones for the radio. All you have to do is pop them out and unplug them. Problem solved.
The number one complaint in Dallas with DriveCam is the following distance. Nothing else even comes close. If you can deal with it in Dallas traffic then it is manageable IMO.

Not fear mongering.Its true.You me and all of us would never know if anyone is listening in on us.Just like the Bluetooth on the radios.They can tell if you're on your phone with a federally legal headset
Maybe that's why many drivers carry disposable phones. Bluetooth radios have been taken out of our units. But the extreme paranoia remains. Legally you shouldn't be on the phone anyway so why in the hell would you worry about it.

The company will be starting to ease off with the petty coaching events. Mostly seatbelts, handheld devices and following distance will be addressed. The dock to driver guys will be watched and scrutinized a bit closer. The senior guys with perfect safety records will be given more leeway with the petty crap. I heard this from a very reliable source. I think you should start to notice a difference in the near future.

The company will starting to ease off with the petty coaching. Mostly seatbelts and handheld devices and following distance will be addressed. The dock to driver guys will be watched and scrutinized a bit closer. The senior guys with perfect safety records will be given more leeway with the petty crap. I heard this from a very reliable source. I think you should start to notice a difference in the near future.

Following distance and seatbelts are right at the top of the petty things people are getting coached for. Such a shame that the idiots had to **** off and lose a boatload of drivers before acknowledging the fact that they just MIGHT have made a mistake. We shouldn't expect any less from them, I guess.

There also better be a significant raise this year if they want to stop the bleeding.

Last edited:
Legally you shouldn't be on the phone anyway so why in the hell would you worry about it.

Sure wish you would quit saying this. Being on the phone with a Bluetooth is only "illegal" to the SAIA police. Rules made by people that have no idea what it's like to drive 500+ miles a night staring at the same 200 ft section of road that your headlights hit trying to stay awake without talking to someone that is doing the same thing.
My being on the phone has never once cost this company money. But I guarantee it has saved them money. From alerting drivers to problems or being alerted from other drivers, to waiting 15-45 minutes for linehaul to answer to get paid for chain time. Not to mention the freight moving slower cuz we are all needing naps and to get out and walk around more often.
Bottom line for me is this. SAIA went from the place I wanted to retire from to just a job that I look to replace every day. If I need to use the phone I will and if the day comes I'm terminated for it I will take my 15 years in the industry with a perfect driving record and perfect CSA record to a company that respects that.

Sure wish you would quit saying this. Being on the phone with a Bluetooth is only "illegal" to the SAIA police. Rules made by people that have no idea what it's like to drive 500+ miles a night staring at the same 200 ft section of road that your headlights hit trying to stay awake without talking to someone that is doing the same thing.
My being on the phone has never once cost this company money. But I guarantee it has saved them money. From alerting drivers to problems or being alerted from other drivers, to waiting 15-45 minutes for linehaul to answer to get paid for chain time. Not to mention the freight moving slower cuz we are all needing naps and to get out and walk around more often.
Bottom line for me is this. SAIA went from the place I wanted to retire from to just a job that I look to replace every day. If I need to use the phone I will and if the day comes I'm terminated for it I will take my 15 years in the industry with a perfect driving record and perfect CSA record to a company that respects that.
I can't say I totally disagree with you. Unfortunately I don't set policy. Maybe this is something they should take a second look at. OD allows it. Maybe we should too.

Following distance and seatbelts are right at the top of the petty things people are getting coached for. Such a shame that the idiots had to **** off and lose a boatload of drivers before acknowledging the fact that they just MIGHT have made a mistake. We shouldn't expect any less from them, I guess.

There also better be a significant raise this year if they want to stop the bleeding.
I don't consider those things petty especially with rookies. One of them is illegal if not used on the streets. They have appeared to have backed off the seatbelt issue on private property.

The last thing I want is a rookie riding my ass with a set of pups.

I'm of the opinion they are only being nice about the coaching due to the fact that there is not a level playing field. Wait till the cameras are in all trucks and see how minor the coaching is.

I'm of the opinion they are only being nice about the coaching due to the fact that there is not a level playing field. Wait till the cameras are in all trucks and see how minor the coaching is.
Hopefully they will take a look at how it played out with Conway. Massive turnover is not something they want IMO.

Try this the next time you get into a retrofitted camera truck. Adjust your seat, strap on the belt, and reach for the manual activation button. I couldn't get any closer than about 6 inches and I am of average height with average arm length. Anybody tried to reach for the button in the freightliners?