ODFL | driver facing cameras

I work for xpo. As stated in post #28 in this thread, yes, we get "coached" when the drive cam records an "event" and the driver is violating a xpo policy. I know drivers that get "coached" often with no dicipline. Not saying it won't come to that at some point or taken into consideration somehow. Eating or drinking has never been an issue that I know of, and talking on the phone is ok as long as you are using a hands free device. I was tagged for talking on my CB one night, but issue was thrown out. There is no "explaining yourself", they see what you are doing, just don't keep doing it. Simple if you ask me (and I know you weren't)!
That is absolutely ridiculous. I feel for ya.

I know for myself running @ night on a long run, & talking on my cell phone to other drivers also driving, using a wireless head set, helps keep me more alert & awake than anything else. Not to say that works for everyone, but it helps me & some of the road drivers I have known over the years. The USAF gives their pilots of the B-1 bomber & other long range aircraft on long runs (flying out of Barksdale AF Base to the Middle East dropping their ordinance & returning home) bennies or some form of a narcotic to help them make the trip, while driving very expensive aircraft & carrying ordnance that could level a city block. So if the driver facing camera caught me talking on my cell phone using a headset would I be fired? I do know @ ABF they prefer that you don’t talk & drive, but it is not against company policy & there is no discipline that could come your way. Just asking. Von.

At XPO...I don't know. I'll ask my super tomorrow and find out what our policy is on hand free cells and head sets. I'm pretty sure that they are permissible. Just don't put your hands on them while your unit is in motion.

I know one of our guys got busted by drive cam and was coached cause he made contact w/ his hand on his blue tooth ear phone when he went over a bump, which set the camera off. When he went to get coached,he told the coach guy that he knew that he was about to go over a bump so in order to prevent the blue tooth ear phone from falling out of his ear...he reached up and held it w/ his hand. He told the coach this but was told that he had made contact w/ an electronic device while in motion and that was why he was being coached on the camera event. :scratchhead:

At XPO...I don't know. I'll ask my super tomorrow and find out what our policy is on hand free cells and head sets. I'm pretty sure that they are permissible. Just don't put your hands on them while your unit is in motion.

I know one of our guys got busted by drive cam and was coached cause he made contact w/ his hand on his blue tooth ear phone when he went over a bump, which set the camera off. When he went to get coached,he told the coach guy that he knew that he was about to go over a bump so in order to prevent the blue tooth ear phone from falling out of his ear...he reached up and held it w/ his hand. He told the coach this but was told that he had made contact w/ an electronic device while in motion and that was why he was being coached on the camera event. :scratchhead:

That's just asinine. Of course Con-way/XPO and their endless ridiculous policies and "coaching" was idiotic in my experience. Heck I got coached once for loading freight in a pup the way it was tendered to us by the customer. Figure that one out.

I heard about that exact incident.

That's just asinine. Of course Con-way/XPO and their endless ridiculous policies and "coaching" was idiotic in my experience. Heck I got coached once for loading freight in a pup the way it was tendered to us by the customer. Figure that one out.

There ain't no figuring them (Con-way/XPO) out driver. I'm one of the Northeast originals that signed on back in '94 and I haven't figured them out yet. Maybe I should have bailed out like so many others have done over the years that I've been here.
All things considered, I'm pretty much stuck here now till I cross the finish line in a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 4 years. I can't complain too much though cause I've put in enough time to reach a decent PTO accrual rate, am # 3 on the list, and have developed a number of close friendships w/ my co-workers.

OD is self insured, they don't get discounts.

I work for Conway/XPO and they told us when they installed the DFCameras,"We're putting these DFC to help you be better. We want you to improve your attentiveness by eliminating driver distractions that lead to accidents that lead to big time law suits". Even if OD is self insured... they certainly don't want to be shelling out millions for a wrongful death case that could have been prevented by corrective coaching by OD management for distractive driver behavior. Not only distractive behavior, but DFCamera data can determine if a driver fell asleep at the wheel, (or not) in fatality crashes. DFCameras are all about the prevention of your company from loosing their shirt in law suits. It's nothing personal ,(although you may feel violated by the DFCamera's ever watchful presence), it's just the inconvenience and annoyance of doing business in the 21st century. Most of us guys hate 'em, but there ain't much you can do.

I work for Conway/XPO and they told us when they installed the DFCameras,"We're putting these DFC to help you be better. We want you to improve your attentiveness by eliminating driver distractions that lead to accidents that lead to big time law suits". Even if OD is self insured... they certainly don't want to be shelling out millions for a wrongful death case that could have been prevented by corrective coaching by OD management for distractive driver behavior. Not only distractive behavior, but DFCamera data can determine if a driver fell asleep at the wheel, (or not) in fatality crashes. DFCameras are all about the prevention of your company from loosing their shirt in law suits. It's nothing personal ,(although you may feel violated by the DFCamera's ever watchful presence), it's just the inconvenience and annoyance of doing business in the 21st century. Most of us guys hate 'em, but there ain't much you can do.

In my opinion it is personal, If the company will put that same camera in every sales car and every managers car all the way to the top I will consider it fair. I would also think it fair to put a camera over every dispatcher and terminal manager desk since there are so many yard and dock cameras. Am i taking it to far , of course , but if it will help we can all to "coaching" class. What a waste of valuable time, That is what a employee write up is for.You did wrong, sign the paper , do it again , get fired. no coaching needed

QUOTE="vongrimmenstein, post: 1039219, member: 4390"]I know for myself running @ night on a long run, & talking on my cell phone to
other drivers also driving, using a wireless head set, helps keep me more alert & awake than anything else. Not to say that works for
everyone, but it helps me & some of the road drivers I have known over the years. The USAF gives their pilots of the B-1 bomber & other long range aircraft on long runs (flying out of Barksdale AF Base to the Middle East dropping their ordinance & returning home) bennies or some form of a narcotic to help them make the trip, while driving very expensive aircraft & carrying ordnance that could level a city block. So if the driver facing camera caught me talking on my cell phone using a headset would I be fired? I do know @ ABF they prefer that you don’t talk & drive, but it is not against company policy & there is no discipline that could come your way. Just asking. Von.
[/QUOTE]

QUOTE="vongrimmenstein, post: 1039219, member: 4390"]I know for myself running @ night on a long run, & talking on my cell phone to
other drivers also driving, using a wireless head set, helps keep me more alert & awake than anything else. Not to say that works for
everyone, but it helps me & some of the road drivers I have known over the years. The USAF gives their pilots of the B-1 bomber & other long range aircraft on long runs (flying out of Barksdale AF Base to the Middle East dropping their ordinance & returning home) bennies or some form of a narcotic to help them make the trip, while driving very expensive aircraft & carrying ordnance that could level a city block. So if the driver facing camera caught me talking on my cell phone using a headset would I be fired? I do know @ ABF they prefer that you don’t talk & drive, but it is not against company policy & there is no discipline that could come your way. Just asking. Von.
[/QUOTE]

I asked our Super here at Conway/XPO if headsets and other hands free electronic devices were permissible, and he said that they were, but they could only be in one ear.

I asked our Super here at Conway/XPO if headsets and other hands free electronic devices were permissible, and he said that they were, but they could only be in one ear.[/QUOTE]
Well, it is against Company Policy at OD.Well,its enforced when they need to.lol

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, on my run I never use the phone during the first 2 and last 2 hours, that is when the traffic is the worst. The 6 hours in between, there is absolutely no traffic to deal with and the drive gets boring, unless I have weather elements to deal with. There is always wildlife to worry about, but there is nothing you can do when you see a deer in your headlights, believe me. Is it really worth getting fired over, if all you have to do is to keep the truck between the white lines for the majority of your run? Texting is different because you actually take your eyes off the road, talking on the phone using a hands free device at 3 am on an interstate highway that doesn't see much traffic during the day is another story. So about the cameras, if the footage was only used to investigate an accident, that's ok with me. If there is a guy watching you at all times and you get in trouble for leaning to get a pop or looking away and taking a hand off the steering wheel to get some sunflower seeds, I don't know if I can live with that.