Estes | Drug Test

cindig

TB Lurker
Credits
Anyone ever been called while on vacation and told they have to take a drug test. Was talking to a driver from another terminal and he was telling me one of their city drivers was on vacation over the Christmas holidays and dispatcher called him and told him he had to go to the clinic for a drug screen. First time I ever heard of that.

Anyone ever been called while on vacation and told they have to take a drug test. Was talking to a driver from another terminal and he was telling me one of their city drivers was on vacation over the Christmas holidays and dispatcher called him and told him he had to go to the clinic for a drug screen. First time I ever heard of that.
They’re not supposed to call you and tell you (for obvious reasons)

“Both random and follow-up tests must be unannounced. This means that once a driver has been notified of the test, he or she must proceed to the collection site immediately as required in §382.305(l). If the driver is performing a safety-sensitive function, he or she must cease, and proceed to the facility as soon as possible.”

So... no... this is not the correct way to do this.

Its not the right way to do this. The driver is not anywhere near a company anything or truck.

I agree with other poster based on 382.305.

If a company called me for a drug screen on my time home or vacation anywhere off their property and trucks then it's no go. The phone call from dispatch scenario to home has no meaning.

They’re not supposed to call you and tell you (for obvious reasons)

“Both random and follow-up tests must be unannounced. This means that once a driver has been notified of the test, he or she must proceed to the collection site immediately as required in §382.305(l). If the driver is performing a safety-sensitive function, he or she must cease, and proceed to the facility as soon as possible.”

So... no... this is not the correct way to do this.
I had a TM once that use to tell use the night before to "make sure you have to pee when you come in tomorrow morning " I don't think that was the correct way either:27:

I had a TM once that use to tell use the night before to "make sure you have to pee when you come in tomorrow morning " I don't think that was the correct way either:27:
Mine says “you have some important paperwork to take care of and you’re not in trouble.”

ive had them call me and ask me to come back inside after I got in my car. I say nah and they say ok we'll catch you next time. Once you’re off duty you’re off duty. The only right way is to put it in your hands and they’re not doing that unless I’m at work.

I like being notified of a drug test. Gives me a chance to acquire some "Street corner pharmaceuticals" and study

Y’all may want to read question #17.
If an employer drops a drug test notification on me while I’m on vacation, they’re taking the risk that I may be unable to proceed directly to do it. What if I’m out of the country?
Question 10 covers this as well. Not removed from the pool as long as I’m expected to return.
Bottom line here is they’re required to select x amount of drivers per quarter and have no expectation to do it on a certain day or certain week.

If an employer drops a drug test notification on me while I’m on vacation, they’re taking the risk that I may be unable to proceed directly to do it. What if I’m out of the country?
Question 10 covers this as well. Not removed from the pool as long as I’m expected to return.
Bottom line here is they’re required to select x amount of drivers per quarter and have no expectation to do it on a certain day or certain week.
I agree with ya buddy. What if your home drinking and can’t drive to the site for testing? Bottom line though is if your company notifies you while off duty, you have the required amount of time to report or it could be a refusal. I don’t think you should be able to be notified while off duty AT ALL. The D.O.T. has left a open a big can of worms with this one, but I would expect nothing less from the Government.

When I'm on vacation , I don't answer my phone if work calls and I have voice mail turned off permanently , no messages for Smoke , I love it . My phone is for my convenience and my family , I pay for it , end of story ...

Keep this in mind. It isn't your company, it's FMCSA that is ordering the test. Every 6 weeks, FMCSA polls 50% of the CDL holders in the USA for a random (it used to be 30% but it increased January 1). It is your responsibility as a CDL holder to comply in any way that you can. If you are on vacation, find a clinic. If you are out of the country, contact your immediate supervisor and ask for guidance. This is a mandate set up by the Federal Government, like it or not. We all have to comply or risk forfeiture of license.

Keep this in mind. It isn't your company, it's FMCSA that is ordering the test. Every 6 weeks, FMCSA polls 50% of the CDL holders in the USA for a random (it used to be 30% but it increased January 1). It is your responsibility as a CDL holder to comply in any way that you can. If you are on vacation, find a clinic. If you are out of the country, contact your immediate supervisor and ask for guidance. This is a mandate set up by the Federal Government, like it or not. We all have to comply or risk forfeiture of license.
But like has stated above, just don’t answer your phone. You can’t be required or expected to take a drug test if you’re off duty and they can’t get ahold of you.

But like has stated above, just don’t answer your phone. You can’t be required or expected to take a drug test if you’re off duty and they can’t get ahold of you.
Right. You’re required to report once you’ve been notified. It makes no sense to notify an employee who is on any kind of leave. Once an employee has been selected, the employer is within their right to hold onto the selection paperwork until it’s reasonable to notify the employee.

I took a pee pee when I got in before then moments later found out I had to do it again for a drug screen. They gave me a 6 ounce bottled water at the clinic. I don't like to drink out of the nasty water fountain so I waited, waited, waited after driving all night. Forced myself to try because i was tired and wanted to get some sleep. I didn't come up with enough. She said if I fail to produce enough the next time she will write me up for a refusal, so make damn sure you have to go next time. I asked if I could have another bottled water. She said no. I said i have lots of bottles in my pickup outside if she will let me get them. She said if I left the building it would result in a refusal.
Long story short. It was time to go back to work after pee pee test and drive home.
It saves lots of trouble to know a couple hours ahead of time if you have a pee pee test.

I took a pee pee when I got in before then moments later found out I had to do it again for a drug screen. They gave me a 6 ounce bottled water at the clinic. I don't like to drink out of the nasty water fountain so I waited, waited, waited after driving all night. Forced myself to try because i was tired and wanted to get some sleep. I didn't come up with enough. She said if I fail to produce enough the next time she will write me up for a refusal, so make damn sure you have to go next time. I asked if I could have another bottled water. She said no. I said i have lots of bottles in my pickup outside if she will let me get them. She said if I left the building it would result in a refusal.
Long story short. It was time to go back to work after pee pee test and drive home.
It saves lots of trouble to know a couple hours ahead of time if you have a pee pee test.
And like a true estes employee you did all that for free

You'd really have to be careful about avoiding a drug test. Ask your company what their policy/procedure would be if you got selected and you were on vacation. I'm sure they have a plan for this scenario. But the FMCSA is no joke. You can try to fight them, but they ultimately have all the cards. Having a CDL is a lifestyle choice we have made, and putting up with these regulations and testing is all part of the gig. It's immaterial if you like it or not. I think (not certain) that a refusal would end up on the Clearinghouse for all potential future employers to see. It's possible that if you have a refusal on the Clearinghouse, you may be uninsurable and therefore unable to be hired.

I, for one, recall never having been called when "off duty" to complete a Drug Test. I was always "On The Clock".

General timeline from consuming fluid to elimination: 30 minutes.
Walking thru the clinic door having to pee isn't a good idea as y'all know it could be an hour before being called. I tried that maneuver once and was waiting longer at location.
Being refused more water is a violation of something, and a mere 6 ounces isn't enough.10-20 ounces is sufficient depending upon your current Hydration level.
Once IN the building, any departure is a Test Refusal (unless testing location is on fire or some errant driver ran into your vehicle or it's on fire).

To Thine Own Self Be True!

I came into work walked straight into the men's room due to coffee.came out ops.mngr told me clock in for a urine drug test.told him I have nothing to give. 2 hours later after sipping water.was he worried I carry bags of baby urine around?