Estes | Drug Test

Last time was screened, I had just "emptied" prior to being informed. Went to the clinic and tried with no luck. Could not leave the premises, as that would be a violation. They told me at the desk that I had up to 2.5 hours to submit a test and that I was allowed to consume no more than 40 ounces of water while we waited. Any more than 40 ounces (they told me) dilutes the sample too much. I got the impression that 40 ounces in a given period of time was a mandate/direction of some sort, but didn't get any supporting documents for proof. I drank my 40 and waited about an hour. Sample given and out the door.

On another note, I'm pretty sure you have to be on the clock/compensated for going to give a mandated test if that test is an essential function of your job. You'd run into liability issues if you drove your own vehicle to a test and got into an accident. Conducting company business needs to be compensated and participating in a drug screening is essential to your job. The only exception would be a pre-employment drug screening...you aren't compensated for that for obvious reasons.

Keep this in mind. It isn't your company, it's FMCSA that is ordering the test. Every 6 weeks, FMCSA polls 50% of the CDL holders in the USA for a random (it used to be 30% but it increased January 1). It is your responsibility as a CDL holder to comply in any way that you can. If you are on vacation, find a clinic. If you are out of the country, contact your immediate supervisor and ask for guidance. This is a mandate set up by the Federal Government, like it or not. We all have to comply or risk forfeiture of license.
It should be obvious that if the driver is unavailable then you just wait until his next time to be on duty. Every random I've ever given is administered unannounced as soon as I walk in the terminal. They brought a collector to the terminal. When I hand in my bills dispatch says "TM needs to see you". Go to his office, then he points across the hall to the office where the collector is and off to the bathroom I go.

Sounds dumb to call someone and alert them ahead of time or when they might not be able to give a sample.