Yellow | Empty Trailers on Rails Going to West Coast

Heard from a road driver that we are sending empty trailers to the west coast.. add this to the bob tailing to a terminal to pick up your empties too.. at what point does the claims, and empty miles finally put us out of business ?

And just what are we supposed to load in those trailers when there's more freight coming east than going west? How do you avoid empty miles when there's a freight imbalance?

PS - That's been going on for years already.

PPS - After you drive your child to school in the morning do you look for some stranger to bring back to your house or do you come back home "empty"?

And just what are we supposed to load in those trailers when there's more freight coming east than going west? How do you avoid empty miles when there's a freight imbalance?

PS - That's been going on for years already.

PPS - After you drive your child to school in the morning do you look for some stranger to bring back to your house or do you come back home "empty"?

Well I tried picking up the cute girls but found dead heading back was the best way....................................................:stirthepot:

Why would they need to send empty trailers to the west coast? Freight generally runs heavier east to west which means a surplus of empty trailers on the west coast?

Not any more Mud. Used to be that way when manufacturing was done in the East. That's all changed in recent decades. Manufacturing is now done in the Far East (China, etc.) and products are shipped to the West Coast by ship and then come east by truck or train.

Places like Salt Lake City or Denver have virtually no outbound freight. For every three loads going in there's probably one load coming out. Salt Lake usually rails 8 to 10 empties a week back to Kansas City. That's also why one way leases are so popular going west.

I meant to write 8 to 10 empties a month.
For a while after you post (I'm not sure how long) you should be able to click on 'edit' below the box and make any desired changes.

Not any more Mud. Used to be that way when manufacturing was done in the East. That's all changed in recent decades. Manufacturing is now done in the Far East (China, etc.) and products are shipped to the West Coast by ship and then come east by truck or train.
Roadway ABQ use to send backhaul loads east. Volume loads that covered the cost of moving the trailer back east. Some OKC drivers might remember the bloated 28 foot trailers full of sawdust or shredded aluminum.

Last edited:
It all goes back to a post on the snark thread. Where a young lady gave me a military discount at the car wash. She said I sounded just like her grandfather.
I recently attended a family birthday party at a restaurant. One of my niece's posted a picture of me there on Facebook. I never realized how old I'm looking.