ABF | EOBR'S

ragpicker

TB Lurker
Credits
Why is no one talking about the new driver harassment tool or as the company would like to call it electronic logs. Do not be fooled!!!!. The correct term is electronic on board recorders. This is all about spying on drivers without the use of a cameras. Our wonderful union leaders opened the door to this with the no corroboration needed language in the contract. This is going to be an absolute fiasco. Already hearing stories here in the northeast of the recorders telling drivers they are driving too fast. Exiting interstate too fast. Sending report! These have nothing to do with logs. Isn't it odd that they are going in city trucks before road trucks? Get ready for lots of letters and trips to the office. And don't count on your local to give you any help

everybody else already has them. they will be able to track every turn you make and will record how long you were there. If you say you went somewhere and you did not, the EOBR will rat you out.It monitors your speed ,RPM's and idle time as well.At OD they give a score and a 30 day rank just to show how much data it records.

I had an acceleration event the other day , or so said the thing. Imagine that, an acceleration event in a sterling . At 048 they are in but not being used at this time. However, if it's recording, it's simple math to tell who was driving the tractor.

These things do more than just record speed and location... They can tell if cruise control is active, when and how hard the brakes are pushed, if the clutch is being used, if the vehicle is at a dead stop or rolled back, if you are hammering the pedal to the floor or casually accelerating... Too much to list here... Location accuracy is good within 2 city blocks and it will keep logs right down to the minute. Union can't do anything about it because it will be mandatory for all CMVs, union or not. These things are not without their flaws though... If you are on a road marked 55 mph and the thing thinks the posted limit is 40 and you are doing 55, get ready to provide an explanation for speeding... A previous employer of mine used the scaled down version of Peoplenet and believe me, the growing pains took forever to work out... Bottom line though, we will be watched very closely.

didn't our Union Brothers and Sisters vote for " electronic monitoring devices" and camera's, etc... in our contract? It is subject to interpretation as to devices.. Electronic logs are one thing, but all the other cans of worms opened up are another. Just as I see Werner and others sitting on our lots and people do nothing, its called reap what our collective bunch wanted, remember, file it away, pay backs are a Bit#&. The people that wanted it will be bit by all this.... they are already the ones complaining about the pay cut and vacation cut and how they were lied to.. Karma.. I can pre trip 15 min, drive under 70 mph and under 70 hrs per week, 30 minute break at 8 hrs. all I am obligated to do

The ECM on the tractors can be downloaded to show vehicle history for 90 days cumulative. It records vehicle speed, RPM, if brakes are applied, if clutch was depressed, accelerator position,(percentage throttle), or if it was in cruise control mode & average vehicle speed. I have removed ECM,s off tractors involved in accidents for use as evidence in court. I have seen engine warranty claims denied due to engine over speeding etc.
This started back in the 90's but the ECM's on newer units have more capabilities.
The data is admissible in court & has helped trucking companies prove non liability in accidents.

I've always thought ANY on-board monitoring equipment was a terrifying idea. To be clear, there are NO cameras on these units, right?

At this point I don't see how the company has any latitude to harass drivers given the shortage that they already have on hand. On one hand these things will make the drivers' jobs easier but on the other they will have to honest up. Who doesn't tweak the log book a little? And in response to the OP's question, Muler has addressed the matter not too long ago.

Do I hear a dock bid calling? They keep asking what took me so long, well now they don't have to ask that question, they can watch. von.

Oh c'mon now... You know they are still going to ask even though they see it plain as day on the computer screen. The beauty of being held up at a place... The truck sitting still in one spot, not budged or running for 30+ minutes...

Oh c'mon now... You know they are still going to ask even though they see it plain as day on the computer screen. The beauty of being held up at a place... The truck sitting still in one spot, not budged or running for 30+ minutes...
Or, stopped for two minutes on the side of the freeway so I could scratch my nuts. Just sayin'.

Great thread ragpicker but as you can see, you have come to the wrong place, as it seems that most here have already learned to accept our fate. The fact is that its just not our union but we are all now living in the wonderful world of compliance. Sure, some will cry and whine a little but as you also see, they have convinced themselves that conformity is inevitable. The wolves have awoke and found themselves among sheep.and listed on the endangered species list.

I couldnt help but laugh out loud after reading some of the replies, especially knowing that these same poeple will be expecting fair treatment by the company and union representatives come 2018. Both, the company and union representatives are laughing at these fools and they dont have the slightest clue that they are the reason why the company and union representatives are getting away with it. Just how sad is that?

The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.
Jim Hightower

There may be some consolation to having recorders. The ambulance chasing lawyers may have difficulty winning cases against truckers when the recorder verifies the truck was operating at a safe speed & the driver was not driving past the mandated rest period.

The best way to fight this is to go by the book. from a 30 minute pre trip inspection to seat belt use on the forklift, to getting help to lift a 80 pound bag of product, and on & on & on. Anything you can do as a driver or dock worker to slow up the machine, in the name of SAFETY can & will have an effect on both parties. It is how you go about it that can favor us down the road. remember, by the numbers. They preach DIRTFT, well, do it. If it takes 2 hours now instead of 1, so be it. When they ask you why it took so long always respond with " Because that is how long it took " Like they said in the movie Trading Places, "Show No Mercy" And if they really complain tell them the work comp expense for ABF increased 35 % over the previous year, & by being not only an employee but also a shareholder, you are trying to lessen ABF's cost & increase your quarterly dividend. von.