ABF | EOBR'S

I once told a dispatcher that any further work rules issued by the company would go into the bottom of my shoes,...........which would explain why I walked slower. If,.... as a company,....we are more concerned with satisfying the liability lawyers than we are with satisfying customers, is that a reflection of how much power tort attorneys wield in our society?.......We have to invent more rules and procedures,....hoops to jump through,.......stand on one leg, touch your nose, and recite the Gettysburg Address,.......Then we'll give you the keys to your tractor........Are we truly a freight company servicing customers?.........or just another corporate entity weaving it's way through a regulatory forest so that lawsuits don't diminish the Golden Parachutes of the few at the top when they pull those ripcords and defect to another carrier,.......and start the "milking" process all over again? Every Union meeting starts with the Pledge of Allegience,......I was told by a Labor attorney that NO corporate boardroom meeting starts the same way,.........because their corporate attorneys have advised them against even making a verbal Pledge that could be used against them in a tort suit to sue,.....and therefore lose more profit that would've gotten loaded into those aforementioned Parachutes..........So,.....it's more important to avoid lawsuits,.....even through the most draconic , time-consuming, and counterproductive procedures,..........than it is to haul freight or service customers...........

I once told a dispatcher that any further work rules issued by the company would go into the bottom of my shoes,...........which would explain why I walked slower. If,.... as a company,....we are more concerned with satisfying the liability lawyers than we are with satisfying customers, is that a reflection of how much power tort attorneys wield in our society?.......We have to invent more rules and procedures,....hoops to jump through,.......stand on one leg, touch your nose, and recite the Gettysburg Address,.......Then we'll give you the keys to your tractor........Are we truly a freight company servicing customers?.........or just another corporate entity weaving it's way through a regulatory forest so that lawsuits don't diminish the Golden Parachutes of the few at the top when they pull those ripcords and defect to another carrier,.......and start the "milking" process all over again? Every Union meeting starts with the Pledge of Allegience,......I was told by a Labor attorney that NO corporate boardroom meeting starts the same way,.........because their corporate attorneys have advised them against even making a verbal Pledge that could be used against them in a tort suit to sue,.....and therefore lose more profit that would've gotten loaded into those aforementioned Parachutes..........So,.....it's more important to avoid lawsuits,.....even through the most draconic , time-consuming, and counterproductive procedures,..........than it is to haul freight or service customers...........
It's just plain old time to get out of the business, buddy. It will never be what it was and it is only getting worse. It's time to leave it to the next generation. I'm almost ashamed to pass it along in its current condition but I'm not the one who put it there. Many of them don't seem to mind it...they don't seem to know any better.

Yup,........In the name of safety, I can see us wearing florescent green beanie caps with a spinning propellor and flashing lights,....... A red rubber "safety" nose,.........an orange protective fright wig and large red reflective suspenders with a fire preventative water-sqirting flower boutonniere......... This will diferrentiate from the clowns who do the actual work from the clowns who merely administrate.......They're the ones all wearing suits and ties,......and have a blank, puzzled expression on their face.....

Like I said before a camera is a whole different story. There is no reason for it imo but intrusion. But to say a company being able to track their $100k+ in equipment with customer's freight worth X amount of dollars is somehow somekind of histeria is ridiculous.
If you need to pull over every exit to screw off, check out lot lizards or what have you, you need to buy your own truck and become an owner operator.
Writing out primitive paper logs is dead and k dont miss it. I work for a pretty strict company and will take 1 hr naps at rest areas when i need to, pull over to use the bathroom when i need to, and have run 680 miles taking my 30 min lunch with over 20 mins of drive time to spare LEGALLY with elogs, and i never was questioned or harrassed.
Fighting furiously to use primitive elogs is just fighting to be able to do what you're not supposed to withought being caught.

I've been using elogs for quite some time and never had any problems with it. Never got blamed or harassed for my driving etc.
Only ones that are gonna hate it are people who are cheating on logs or doing things they shouldn't.
Cameras now thats a different story. This histeria over elogs though is hilarious.

Like I said before a camera is a whole different story. There is no reason for it imo but intrusion. But to say a company being able to track their $100k+ in equipment with customer's freight worth X amount of dollars is somehow somekind of histeria is ridiculous.
If you need to pull over every exit to screw off, check out lot lizards or what have you, you need to buy your own truck and become an owner operator.
Writing out primitive paper logs is dead and k dont miss it. I work for a pretty strict company and will take 1 hr naps at rest areas when i need to, pull over to use the bathroom when i need to, and have run 680 miles taking my 30 min lunch with over 20 mins of drive time to spare LEGALLY with elogs, and i never was questioned or harrassed.
Fighting furiously to use primitive elogs is just fighting to be able to do what you're not supposed to withought being caught.

And like I said, the wolves have awoke and found themselves among sheep and listed on the endangered species list. First off, what do you know about working for ABF? How long have you worked for ABF? Will you define the word corroboration?

You say that the only ones that are gonna hate it are people who are cheating on logs or doing things they shouldn't. Thats a great philosophy you have there. Tell me, did you ever in your life hear about anyone convicted of a crime only to be found innocent years later by DNA evidence? And if so, how many were exonerated because I quit counting once they reached 300 in 2012?

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/01/nation/la-na-dna-evidence-20121001

I have an idea, why dont you start telling those first 300 that they wouldnt of ever been convicted if they werent doing things they shouldn't have been doing and have no reason at all to be angry. Also explain to them just what "no corroboration" actually entails and how ridiculous their hysteria was for all those years. If you want, you can even tell them how you work for a pretty strict company, took 1 hr naps at rest areas, pulled over to use the bathroom, legally ran 680 miles taking a 30 min lunch with over 20 mins of drive time to spare and was never even questioned or harrassed if you think that will help get your point across. Make sure you elaborate thats only because you werent doing things that you werent supposed to like pulling over every exit to screw off, check out lot lizards or what have you.

Did you ever hear that expression if you give them an inch, they take a mile? Is everyone in management always honest? Do you realize just how silly you sound now?

I think the point is that ABF, ....and most every other company,..,.. is spending an awful lot of money on high-tech surveillance gear,....that has absolutely nothing to do with efficient freight hauling,........because the people SELLING that high-tech gear have convinced every CEO in America that there is no such thing as an honest employee. We're all potential "perps",.......... which is a stupid and insulting way to look at your employees. Take drug testing in trucking, for instance.......Random urinalysis was " sold" to everyone by claiming 10% of the population does drugs,.....,....yet int the past 20 years, drug testing in trucking has caught less than one tenth of one percent of employees engaged in drug use. Apparently, no one had the common sense to realize most drug users aren't attracted to occupations with a 60 hour work week. I don:t drink or use drugs,.....so that $300.00 random drug test is kind of wasted on me every time, right? But, of course, we're all " suspicious " because there is no such thing as an "honest" employee.

because there is no such thing as an "honest" employee.
And the ironic part is that I can work dishonestly and cheat in an extra doughnut, cup of coffee, etc and still get more done than on a day when my work is done honestly without those "illicit" stops. It makes me wonder if they even have a clue.

Unfortunately the trucking industry is an easy target for government regulations. I can only see more laws being made by politicians in the future. Companies are implementing policies ahead of the coming federal & state laws.

How about when companies decide to break the law for their own profit? The Surface Transportation Act of 1986 designated 53/102" trailers as "highway use only " trailers, with a $300.00 fine to the driver ofor being off route. How many guys peddle with a 53' trl., and the company does a Seargent Schultz: "I know nothing". when asked if it's a legal route for a 53footer?

Unfortunately the trucking industry is an easy target for government regulations. I can only see more laws being made by politicians in the future. Companies are implementing policies ahead of the coming federal & state laws.
Some of those regulations should put more mickey mouse operations out of business, which in turn should help out the legitimate operators. When the laws are passed it would be prudent for the companies to be in compliance before the deadline.

They won't don't understand Detrucker that if you just do your job no one messes with you. Like talking to a wall these guys are. I stopped a long time ago. Come into 042 grab manifest and go....a lot easier than hearing the us against them mentality. Just do your job and there is nothing to worry about.

They won't don't understand Detrucker that if you just do your job no one messes with you. Just do your job and there is nothing to worry about.

Spoken like a true rookie, brown noser or one of those naive veteran employees lucky enough to be treated fair during their whole tenure so far. You know how many times I have heard that expression over the years? But sooner or later, many find out the hardway just how sadly they were mistaken. Sure, there will always be some that will be lucky enough to go their whole career thinking that as a fact, but make no mistake, they are the exception to the rule, not the general rule.

So, which are you, a rookie, brown noser or one of those naive veteran employees lucky enough to be treated fair during their whole tenure so far?

And do please tell, are all the rumors true of how weak Local 776 has become over the years true?

Im sorry to say but I can and will always speak out against you and Detruckers type because Im sick and tired of just not only watching this kind of mentality destroy the very fabric of our union, but our country as well. That is the us against them mentality you speak of. So, just go on living your life with that mentality as I will go on with mine. The only way to prove just how mistaken you really are is the mentality of your kind ends up winning in the end. Im just hoping I never get the chance to prove you wrong.

Once upon a time, I was an owner/operator. For about 9 years and 3 trucks. When I leased on with a company,I insisted on running absolutely legal. I figured that if I couldn't make money running legal, there was something wrong with either me, or the company. I got a big kick out of the guys who had to have an eighty mile an hour tractor, and brag about running overloaded. All they were doing is delivering next month's freight at this month's freight rates. They never could understand that,...........and they couldn't understand why they were going broke after two years, either.

Actually I met you and talked to you canary. When I come back through I will say hi. Not a brown noser nor a noob just stating my opinion. I was not here when contract was voted on but I would have been a no vote. Have talked with hundreds of teamsters and have yet to hear of someone who voted no. So I ask....how did this terrible contract go through? Who voted for it or did Hoffa just push it through? Have no idea but I think something should be done....I think we need new people at the top. When I was hired in it was told to me that I have a red circle around my name. Any of you know what that means? ABF can lay me and another probably 100 or so men and women off and use Werner to run around me. Brown noser no....rookie in union yes...but I have never and never will vote myself a pay cut. Just go out and do your job and management will not mess with you...but your fellow brothers will. CONTRACT

Actually I met you and talked to you canary. When I come back through I will say hi. Not a brown noser nor a noob just stating my opinion. I was not here when contract was voted on but I would have been a no vote. Have talked with hundreds of teamsters and have yet to hear of someone who voted no. So I ask....how did this terrible contract go through? Who voted for it or did Hoffa just push it through? Have no idea but I think something should be done....I think we need new people at the top. When I was hired in it was told to me that I have a red circle around my name. Any of you know what that means? ABF can lay me and another probably 100 or so men and women off and use Werner to run around me. Brown noser no....rookie in union yes...but I have never and never will vote myself a pay cut. Just go out and do your job and management will not mess with you...but your fellow brothers will. CONTRACT

Did you ever think why your fellow Teamsters mess with you? It couldnt of been anything you have said or done, could it? Did you ever think that the reason could be your fellow Brothers just get irritated when a rookie goes around claiming to know all about how union companies think and operate when in reality you havent been around long enough to be more qualified at forming an educated opinion than those that have been around for ages? So, to those Brothers, you are doing nothing but spouting off about things you know nothing about. Just like when a new supervisor thinks hes better qualified at knowing how trailers should be loaded than Brothers with years of experience behind their belt. Why dont you try putting yourself in that Brother shoes that has been around sometime? Dont be like those kids who warmed up to the teachers just because they couldnt get along with other classmates.

As for your statement,"I have never and never will vote myself a pay cut". You are new to the union, so once again, you have no idea whats all involved when it comes contract time. You making this statement just goes to show you how inexperienced you really are when it comes to contracts. Just like when someone says how they would act in a time of war on the battlefield, they have absolutely know clue how they would really act in that given situation, only speculate, so dont even go there unless you been there.

Yes, something should be done, how about you getting a couple of contracts behind your belt before you start spouting off about what you would or wouldnt do come contract time and pay attention to the daily operations of the company during that same period,then you will truly have an educated opinion.

Some of those regulations should put more mickey mouse operations out of business, which in turn should help out the legitimate operators. When the laws are passed it would be prudent for the companies to be in compliance before the deadline.

There is no way a company can fight the laws & stay in business. A friend of mine who was a safety man went to a company that was fighting the state highway police & the DOT. It was paying fines & was involved in lawsuits due to accidents. He was a former county sheriff with a trucking background & a safety man for a company that wanted to move him every year.. He went to this company & convinced the owner the drivers could run legal & the company would make more by not paying fines & get better insurance rates by cutting accidents per mile. It didn't take long for the company to lower it's operating ratio due to lower insurance rates , paying less fines & paying less for legal fees.
I would like to see about half the lawyers drawing unemployment & less lawsuits involving trucks would help.

[QUOTE="ebark63, post: 952279, member: 36609' Have talked with hundreds of teamsters and have yet to hear of someone who voted no. So I ask....how did this terrible contract go through?

You mean that you can't find a yes voter, because you can dam sure find a no voter!!! It seems all the yes voters have disappeared as of contract time.