Yellow | equipment shortage

Every week night at CGB we are short on tractors, so you end up with city power if you are running turns

At CVE, they used to always run out of power about the time the laid off guys would get called. I don't think thats currently a problem there though.

Every week night at CGB we are short on tractors, so you end up with city power if you are running turns
Check and make sure that city unit is properly registered before you leave with it. We do the same thing in ATL when short on road power. The hi'r ups here started that about 3 years ago. They were pulling the 12's (chrome noses) off the road and re-registering them locally to 54,999lbs. We invoked FMCSR and Art. 16 NMFA for them to register them to 80,000lbs. before we would use them. They re-registered 5 chrome noses and 5 swamp holly Macks with green door jambs. Other than being wore slam out, they meet contract and some of them actually run a little better than average. Just feels kinda funny being a road driver, runnin' down the dusty trail with a set of handjacks strapped to the back of the cab...

Tractors and Trailers

We have been having problems at LCP for quite sometime. I was at CNC last week and they had drivers on the clock waiting for power. Another thing to watch is PM's. I found a tractor with 60,000 miles since last PM. I addressed this with the shop foreman. He had it swapped out. As I was rolling down the road, I looked at the PM on the door of that tractor, 47,000 miles since last PM. 45,000 is suppose to be the PM target. They use to snag them at the fuel lanes. The computer would indicate that a tractor was due in and PM was due. I believe that they are "limiting" the amount of tractors they have on PM status, thus keeping more power active in the system. Only a thought.:smilie_132:

We have been having problems at LCP for quite sometime. I was at CNC last week and they had drivers on the clock waiting for power. Another thing to watch is PM's. I found a tractor with 60,000 miles since last PM. I addressed this with the shop foreman. He had it swapped out. As I was rolling down the road, I looked at the PM on the door of that tractor, 47,000 miles since last PM. 45,000 is suppose to be the PM target. They use to snag them at the fuel lanes. The computer would indicate that a tractor was due in and PM was due. I believe that they are "limiting" the amount of tractors they have on PM status, thus keeping more power active in the system. Only a thought.:smilie_132:
I don't even look at the door sticker anymore UJ. They've gotten so lax on PM's
(esp. ATL). I check the fuel filter resevoir to make sure the fuel filter isn't stopped up. I was pre-tripping one about a month ago (a 15 series w/D-12 volvo). I shined my light up under the fender to look at the filter globe. I couldn't see the filter (the globe was a bit dirty, but something didn't look right). I opened the hood, wiped the globe off and NO FUEL FILTER! I was dumbfounded. So I shined my light into the air filter housing, NO AIR FILTER! I had already started the tractor so I drove it over to the shop. Shop supervisor asked what I needed. I said, "I have a tractor outside that needs a fuel filter and an air filter". He asked me why I thought that. I said, "because it has neither one in it"! I took him out and showed him. He couldn't believe it. There's no telling how long that unit had been out there running with no filters in it! I won't speculate on how or why there were no filters on this truck but I can say that the co. can expect a short lifespan for that big rig...

Most of the "city" power they send us out in actually are supposed to be used by the shuttle drivers. Some how all the tandem road power seams to disapear at shift change and has a tendency to show up with cracked fairings and other little dings and dents in the morning.

equipment shortages

Since the 60 series city power have been turned back to 58mph isn't there a rule about running on the road?I'm always afraid of being rearended by some 70mph Canadian hot-rod big truck.

Tractors have been a major problem at CVE. I went in last Monday to go to ALE via RFO at I think 4pm and there was nothing for power, nothing in the fuel lanes. Nothing comming in. You have to go to the shop and mill around at the end of the fuel lanes to snag a tractor. I try to give the the senior driver the next one available unless he wants some clock time, or to someone who is going on a long run, the choice is his. But it's still a major PITA.

In Saginaw we're so short on pups I have been canceled 4 sundays in the last two months. I love waiting for the grievance proceedure to work.

God forbid someone would think to bobtail us out to pickup equipment!:chairshot:

Since the 60 series city power have been turned back to 58mph isn't there a rule about running on the road?I'm always afraid of being rearended by some 70mph Canadian hot-rod big truck.
Rapper, Even though it's not carved in contract stone, there is a memo of understanding for Art. 16 that states in part:
All new and/or additional equipment ordered for the road fleet after April 1, 2003 shall be specified with the manufacturer to achieve a minimum fleet road speed of 62 mph... Sorta like pushin' a wheelbarrow around in the Daytona 500, isn't it? Not much help I know. Just make sure your taillights are working before you leave...

That memo was aimed at ABF specifically because before the '03 contract, their fleet speed avg. was 57mph!... They didn't have to worry about washing windshields at the time because they wasn't movin' fast enough to squash bugs against them!

That memo was aimed at ABF specifically because before the '03 contract, their fleet speed avg. was 57mph!... They didn't have to worry about washing windshields at the time because they wasn't movin' fast enough to squash bugs against them!
Now wait a minute Hombre the durn bugs would still squash against the wind shield just from their speed!

:1036316054:

Now wait a minute Hombre the durn bugs would still squash against the wind shield just from their speed!

:1036316054:
That was them depressed, suicidal bugs, flyin' drunk and spewin' beer cans & liqour bottles behind them in their wake... The curious bugs would fly up, light on the windshield, rest a while & watch ya'll guide the big load with your road toad...

Tractors have been a major problem at CVE. I went in last Monday to go to ALE via RFO at I think 4pm and there was nothing for power, nothing in the fuel lanes. Nothing comming in. You have to go to the shop and mill around at the end of the fuel lanes to snag a tractor. I try to give the the senior driver the next one available unless he wants some clock time, or to someone who is going on a long run, the choice is his. But it's still a major PITA.

I see what you mean, now that I'm available. I've come on the board twice this week already, been where I should get called, only to hear in the next update.... I haven't called anything that doesn't have to go....I have freight but NO POWER.

You wonder why there is a shortage of equipment and why your driving old junk on 500 plus mi.runs? Let me offer some input.I was in Middletown Ct. on Sunday,their yard horse was out of service so they had to use a tractor to make their dock moves and switches,WITH A BRAND NEW 14000 SERIES ROAD UNIT!!! Meanwile there was a whole line of city tractors parked along the fence.Think about that when your broke down on the side of the road freezing your balls off with an old piece of crapp waiting for a vender to bring another piece of junk to you while the good linehaul tractors are being used for "Yard Horses"

I know that Yellow and Roadway in the Atlanta area have been getting a lot of Holland's older trailers that we usually sell when we get new equip. to replace it.

I guess instead of selling them for storage or lease trailers they are being used like hand me downs.