Yellow | equipment shortage

I know that Yellow and Roadway in the Atlanta area have been getting a lot of Holland's older trailers that we usually sell when we get new equip. to replace it.

I guess instead of selling them for storage or lease trailers they are being used like hand me downs.

Trailers ,in my opinion, as long as they ere maintained and they pull streight are not a problem.Tractors are.When there is a power shortage at CGB and 5 guys are on the clock waiting for a tractor,and there are 4 yard guys sitting in 4 road units ,and anyone who goes to CGB knows what I mean,theres a problem.It is not a teamster problem it is a management problem,as I stated in a previous post, when they are using new road equipment as yard horses,theres a management problem.I will take advantage of any situation I can as long as management will let me get away with it,and thats what these guys are doing and I don't blame them one bit.So I guess that as long as we have the kind of management we have now we will have to continue costing the company money while we wait on equipment to do our jobs.Equipment that could be available if the company was managed the right way,but it looks like ther're more concerned with "Truckdriving Championships"and NASCAR,than they are with operating an efficent transportation corperation.

I was told a few weeks ago that some city tractors were to be "hard parked" so that might be another reason for the city using more road tractors. Hard parked is a term meaning they won't use a city or road unit and get a big tax write off for showing that they don't need the tractor. More bean counter crap.

I was told a few weeks ago that some city tractors were to be "hard parked" so that might be another reason for the city using more road tractors. Hard parked is a term meaning they won't use a city or road unit and get a big tax write off for showing that they don't need the tractor. More bean counter crap.
they are waiting for the new registrations,that is the reason for sitting idle.

SLC Shop

Mike M and Joe A the shop head stupid-visors have been known to run a truck without air cleaners before. Did not have one on the shelf and would not send a man to get one so off it went.
PMs are the life blood of any shop in the Yellow system. They are just like bill count is on the dock or moves per hour in the yard. If you can Pm a truck in 2 minutes and a dolly in 30 seconds you can join the brown nose club here. Its no big deal someone else will fix it down the road. I got my numbers and did not have to spend the labor or parts money. Save Save Save its the SLC Yellow way
If it falls apart and kills someone its not on my dime
Team Mike & Joe = They save YRCW lots of $$$$$

Tractors have been a major problem at CVE. I went in last Monday to go to ALE via RFO at I think 4pm and there was nothing for power, nothing in the fuel lanes. Nothing comming in. You have to go to the shop and mill around at the end of the fuel lanes to snag a tractor. I try to give the the senior driver the next one available unless he wants some clock time, or to someone who is going on a long run, the choice is his. But it's still a major PITA.

Dont ya'll have assinged units like holland?

Waited 4.25 in CTI last night because they completely reworked a BUF load that was heavy in the nose and they didn't have a screw.....poor planning, poor execution.........CDO is drowning in a pool of incompetence.

Since the 60 series city power have been turned back to 58mph isn't there a rule about running on the road?I'm always afraid of being rearended by some 70mph Canadian hot-rod big truck.

The linedrivers in SLC filed a grievance on it and won. The shop had to turn them up.

Dont ya'll have assinged units like holland?
I would say most of YRC is a "slip seat" operation when it comes to the road. Some of our P+D drivers have the same (ex road) tractors and some of our million milers drive assigned units. DS.

yel is 95% slipseat. some city routes and ue drivers here in col get the same tractor every trip. We have 5 city and 10 road units hard parked. Our supervisor wants pm's so bad he will fudge the mileage to get it to flag and we hold dogs if the pm is within 2weeks of being due. Same with trailers. Since Rwdy took over the maint. dept our budget has been cut to the bone. We now target safety issues first and all else maybe next time.

I would say most of YRC is a "slip seat" operation when it comes to the road. Some of our P+D drivers have the same (ex road) tractors and some of our million milers drive assigned units. DS.

Denver is the only yellow barn that I know of that has asigned tractors. That is because they have to pull the hills in CO.

holland has slips but they keep there own tractors and swap trailers.