XPO | Ex ODFL VP joins XPO

That's the secret...use your employees as your bank! Management will retire millionaires with pension and 401, and the rest of us will retire with bad backs, knees and shoulders with a $hit retirement, while they're playing 18 holes 2x or 3x a week at the country club. The terminals are disgusting, the yards are disgusting, and yes they are investing in equipment but that is only because they found out how much it really costs to maintain old rusty wore out junk equipment.
The help they hire is, for the most part, pathetic. Truck driver school? What a joke. Kids and 35 year olds. At 35 y.o. you think you might want to be a truck driver?
How about "I need a truck, but It has to be a AUTO SHIFTER"! And then theres the trucking lobby trying to get the politicians to change the laws so 18 year olds can drive truck. Why? Again so they can pay less and offer even worse benefits (how many 18 year olds give a crap about benefits). I've said it before, THERE ISN'T ANY TRUCK DRIVER SHORTAGE, ONLY A SHORTAGE OF COMPANIES WILLING TO OFFER A GOOD COMPENSATION PACKAGE FOR BEATING UP YOUR BODY FOR 40 YEARS! And that includes a PENSION and QUALITY HEALTHCARE. Then, and only then, will you have a waiting list of EXPERIENCED, QUALITY DRIVERS. FDNM
You need to post more often

Even if Xpo hits O/D numbers in stock price what’s in it for the drivers . They won’t see improvement such as a meaningful retirement plan or better healthcare.

That's the secret...use your employees as your bank! Management will retire millionaires with pension and 401, and the rest of us will retire with bad backs, knees and shoulders with a $hit retirement, while they're playing 18 holes 2x or 3x a week at the country club. The terminals are disgusting, the yards are disgusting, and yes they are investing in equipment but that is only because they found out how much it really costs to maintain old rusty wore out junk equipment.
The help they hire is, for the most part, pathetic. Truck driver school? What a joke. Kids and 35 year olds. At 35 y.o. you think you might want to be a truck driver?
How about "I need a truck, but It has to be a AUTO SHIFTER"! And then theres the trucking lobby trying to get the politicians to change the laws so 18 year olds can drive truck. Why? Again so they can pay less and offer even worse benefits (how many 18 year olds give a crap about benefits). I've said it before, THERE ISN'T ANY TRUCK DRIVER SHORTAGE, ONLY A SHORTAGE OF COMPANIES WILLING TO OFFER A GOOD COMPENSATION PACKAGE FOR BEATING UP YOUR BODY FOR 40 YEARS! And that includes a PENSION and QUALITY HEALTHCARE. Then, and only then, will you have a waiting list of EXPERIENCED, QUALITY DRIVERS. FDNM
"There is no shortage," says Todd Spencer, the president of the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association. His organization represents more than 150,000 mostly self-employed truck drivers around the United States. Their interest in improving the pay and livelihoods of their trucker members has long come into conflict with the interests of the ATA, which represents the big trucking companies.

Huh, things might get interesting down the road. If this new "former" OD exec. see's areas that can be improved upon, by using methods that have worked well for OD. As example, they could try using wild drivers and/or possibly using team drivers for linehaul ops. I don't see city making any sort of operational changes though. Just my 2 cents worth..

The only way he can possibly get r done is if he brings Billylo over with him!!!

I just hope that this new guy with change the whole mentality going on. Like having management start holding people accountable for the actions. Going after the lazy milkmen and the snoozers.
Xpo biggest problem is management. I wouldn’t be so quick to blame your fellow drivers. Every company has some bad drivers . It’s managements poor hiring process and the ability to attract experienced drivers that is the biggest threat to Xpo ‘s viability.

Xpo biggest problem is management. I wouldn’t be so quick to blame your fellow drivers. Every company has some bad drivers . It’s managements poor hiring process and the ability to attract experienced drivers that is the biggest threat to Xpo ‘s viability.
I agree with you about management. The other drivers run the gamut. From 20 year vet to 5 year driver. The statement of holding people accountable is drivers showing up late every night and so on.

I agree with you about management. The other drivers run the gamut. From 20 year vet to 5 year driver. The statement of holding people accountable is drivers showing up late every night and so on.
That’s bad management. Don’t dismiss the possibility because no one wants to do this anymore that management has resolved to the fact that this is the way it’s going to be. They have factored it in. The bright side for them is they will not have offer the best pay and benefits to operate

ATA is an industry supported lobbying that is more concerned with corporate profits. It supports legislation that stifles workers
If you look at the board of directors for OOIDA all but 2 are or were Truck drivers. The 2 that are not, one manages the membership dept. The other is the manager of Land Line media.

Were not one of the General Officers at the ATA every held a CDL or drove a truck. as per there profile

Good leaders lead from the front. Which is what this company is lacking. Anyone that has been in the military and had to lead and train soldiers know that you are only as good as you train. This company spent the last few years just filling seats and any FOS position with anyone that wanted it. Now it biting them in the azz. Even General Eisenhower started out as a butter bar 2LT. For the longest time XPO spend more time in hiring college degrees instead of looking at those that have the knowledge and work exp.
We're going to be a big company, we thought. So let's hire "professional managers." We went out and hired a bunch of professional management, and it didn't work at all. They knew how to manage, but they didn't know how to do anything. Steve Jobs

Years of bad treatment to drivers have lead there so called driver shortage, which there not. Did you know that a Diesel Tech with a Master Cert can make upwards of $39 per hr here at XPO, but yet a driver with 20 or 30yrs exp make the same as driver just 2yrs out of XPO driver school.

Last edited:
Could it be those drivers have a gutless FOS, FOM, SCM, and DM. Hey we all get it sh1t happens and you late. Look were we are now city guy allowed to punch in up to 5mins late and still be counted as on time. Also how many time are LH drivers going to show up to make there dispatch time only to sit there off the clock not getting paid to wait. After a while your just not going to give two sh1t about the dispatch time because management doesn't. At one time LH drivers had a start time it was 20mins before your dispatch time. At 20mins before your dispatch time you punched in, got paid, and sat and waited for you loads. What do they want you to do now clock in and work the dock. Many are saying F..k it and just showing up late. They know XPO beg and pleaded with them to work here and there is no one beating down the door to work here. So go ahead write them up drivers know that they with a clean record they will have a job before they get in there car in the parking lot.

Good leaders lead from the front. Which is what this company is lacking. Anyone that has been in the military and had to lead and train soldiers know that you are only as good as you train. This company spent the last few years just filling seats and any FOS position with anyone that wanted it. Now it biting them in the azz. Even General Eisenhower started out as a butter bar 2LT. For the longest time XPO spend more time in hiring college degrees instead of looking at those that have the knowledge and work exp.

Years of bad treatment to drivers have lead there so called driver shortage, which there not. Did you know that a Diesel Tech with a Master Cert can make upwards of $39 per hr here at XPO, but yet a driver with 20 or 30yrs exp make the same as driver just 2yrs out of XPO driver school.
I haven't heard that term in a long time! Butter bar, LOL!

it's the same every place ... putting someone in the seat

At my place the new flavor is getting joe blow dockworker to step up and lead the show…yeah, great idea. The guy you have been working along side of that one week ago said he could care less about the company now has a radio and is calling the shots and trying to tell you what to do.

At my place the new flavor is getting joe blow dockworker to step up and lead the show…yeah, great idea. The guy you have been working along side of that one week ago said he could care less about the company now has a radio and is calling the shots and trying to tell you what to do.
I hate to say this, but I have found that sometimes fellow workers who go into supervision turn out to be the worst dirt bags. You wouldn't think that but sadly it's often been true. :idunno:

I hate to say this, but I have found that sometimes fellow workers who go into supervision turn out to be the worst dirt bags. You wouldn't think that but sadly it's often been true. :idunno:
You forgot the coworker that quits and talk how bad this place is then 6+ months later comes back as an fos

I don't know. I don't see how 20 years experience makes a difference when the same route, with the same mileage, in the same equipment, and in the same timeframe is being run.

Same route, same miles, same pay. I don't see a facts-based argument for significantly higher seniority pay. 20 or 30 years driving doesn't make a driver more valuable to a fixed route than a guy with, say, a year's experience doing the same. A driver is a driver.

I don't know. I don't see how 20 years experience makes a difference when the same route, with the same mileage, in the same equipment, and in the same timeframe is being run.

Same route, same miles, same pay. I don't see a facts-based argument for significantly higher seniority pay. 20 or 30 years driving doesn't make a driver more valuable to a fixed route than a guy with, say, a year's experience doing the same. A driver is a driver.
and that's what management think too "A driver is a driver" and that kind of thinking is what has hurt this industry. Ask yourself why are we not considered a Trade like a carpenter, plumber, or electrician?
Not all driver are the same because my CDL doesn't have the "E" restriction on it.