Yellow | Fed ex playing games with the rdwy/yellow customers

I worked for AF/fredex for 7 years, I can tell you this isn't the first time they have stooped to this level. My wife worked at Southeastern for a while, they were taking alot of fredex freight up in Northwest AR, I guess the fredex sales staff up there got shook up a bit so they started a rumor that southeastern was pulling out of AR, and another that they were going out of biz. I hope that YRC legal sues the **** out of fdx if they are doing anything even slightly wrong. In foodservice there are strict no no's about that sort of thing, not to say it isn't done but I have never ever seen it on this side of the biz. I wish for everyone to succeed, I have friends at both companies, lets hope that employee free choice gets going quickly, you guys might be surprised what happens over at fredex.

I guess I've gotten used to seeing it; I worked at Preston. It seems like Every LTL Company put out the same stuff about us. Just like about everyone did the same about O-Nite, before UPS bought them.

I guess I've gotten used to seeing it; I worked at Preston. It seems like Every LTL Company put out the same stuff about us. Just like about everyone did the same about O-Nite, before UPS bought them.

It needs to stop, its dirty, fredex must be scared of something or they wouldn't be using that method, thats what happens when someone gets nervous, they stop playing by the rules and start to cheat, coming from that company, it doesn't surprise me at all Jimmy.

It's called being competitive. If the shoe was on the other foot you would all be saying worse things about them and enjoying every bit of it, without the sympathy that you expect from them. It's called life, get over it!

"If you're concerned about potential service disruptions to your supply chain, given recent reports about Yellow-Roadway's integration and workforce reduction, choose FedEx Freight and FedEx National LTL."

"FedEx makes it easy."

"For certainty, reliability and service, choose FedEx Freight for your fast-cycle LTL (less-than-truckload) shipping needs, and FedEx National LTL for your planned distribution long-haul service. We're here to meet your LTL needs -- including peace of mind for you and your customers."

The proper response by our City Men, who, are on the front lines, should be, something like "The economy is in a down turn and this is the best time to integrate, since, we have the extra capacity" "This will enable us to give you the most comprehensive service and best value to you and your customers well into the future"

bubbadog121

Just visiting here.
I was wondering if you also see a parallel with Circuit City and YRCW. And maybe one of the reasons why FedEx would be printing those fliers to potential customers.
Circuit City announced a few weeks ago that they were going to lay-off sales people and move some from full time to part time. Seems like some customers decided to go to Best Buy and other electronic outlets to get professional help and advice when buying big ticket items.
Today Circuit City filed for chapter 11 to reorganize after the vendors got scared to extend further credit.

Circuit City Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
"In large part, a Chapter 11 filing is due to three factors, all of which contributed to a liquidity crisis that prevented the company from completing its turnaround goals outside of formal proceedings: erosion of vendor confidence, decreased liquidity and a global economic crisis," Besanko said.
Circuit City Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy - Companies * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

Personally I think that as long as YRC can make their P&D work with enough staffing they should be OK. The only variable that nobody knows yet is how long this recession is going to last and how many carriers will come out the other side stronger than when they went in.

:smilie_132:

True

It's called being competitive. If the shoe was on the other foot you would all be saying worse things about them and enjoying every bit of it, without the sympathy that you expect from them. It's called life, get over it!

I have heard several mgrs say the same thing!

bubbadog121

Just visiting here.
I was wondering if you also see a parallel with Circuit City and YRCW. And maybe one of the reasons why FedEx would be printing those fliers to potential customers.
Circuit City announced a few weeks ago that they were going to lay-off sales people and move some from full time to part time. Seems like some customers decided to go to Best Buy and other electronic outlets to get professional help and advice when buying big ticket items.
Today Circuit City filed for chapter 11 to reorganize after the vendors got scared to extend further credit.

Circuit City Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
"In large part, a Chapter 11 filing is due to three factors, all of which contributed to a liquidity crisis that prevented the company from completing its turnaround goals outside of formal proceedings: erosion of vendor confidence, decreased liquidity and a global economic crisis," Besanko said.
Circuit City Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy - Companies * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

Personally I think that as long as YRC can make their P&D work with enough staffing they should be OK. The only variable that nobody knows yet is how long this recession is going to last and how many carriers will come out the other side stronger than when they went in.

:smilie_132:

YRC has allot of assets to dig into that CC did not.

I think we will have a much better idea of what to expect at the end of 1stQ 09.

IF YRC would let Holland and New Penn go back to the way they were (A money maker) they would both be able to bail YRC out of the hole they are in..But I do not see that happining as it is a good idea.

I feel for all you gals/guys at YRC, even I am not sure where they will end up at.

IF YRC would let Holland and New Penn go back to the way they were (A money maker) they would both be able to bail YRC out of the hole they are in..But I do not see that happining as it is a good idea.

They can't. Here's why (from my experience). Yellow buys XYZ Company. Whatever price they agreed to, they now assign from the Yellow Books to the newly bought company to pay back to the corporation. Say xyz company was debt free and profitable. Now, Yellow will mortgage the terminals of the newly bought company, borrow money against the equipment-- and guess what? Now it's the newly bought company that underperforms (for it must repay debt it didn't have.)

Yellow will next take Underperformance Charges against the brand name, saying they bought a bad company. And Yellow will redo their corp taxes several times until they have drained every last drop off the new now debt-ridden company. The only thing they used to do that now they cannot is ask for a wage consession. We at Preston "gave back" (I hate that term-- you cannot give back what you never had) an amount over the 6 years Yellow owned us , equal to the price they paid for us AND Saia. And then they kept Saia.

They've done this with Preston, Saia, Dugan, Holland, New Penn, and Bestway. It's the Yellow way. I'm surprised they didn't pull this one on Roadway; Big R's Head Honchos must be smarter than Billy Z.......

What YRCW apparently did Not plan on was a bad economy. Almost 2 Billion in debt drags when you can't fill all the trucks and you're experimenting with combining things and buying every new system under the sun...

But those of you with your threats of thuggery and weird paranoia about some other p&d driver following you around (as if they have the time for that), have to realize that nonsense of that sort only makes you look and sound ignorant and does not in any way help your case.

You're so right in this cyber world with your comment but in the real world it is what it is. As slow as things are, especially now they all have alot of time to see who is delivering what to who. I respect your opinion A-man, but welcome to my world on the street as a city guy or the real working american "Jeff the Trucker" not "Joe the ......"

Please do not misunderstand

My opinion is neither management or labor biased. It's just based on the truth. Sometimes it just hurts to hear, but it's still the truth.

Flattop,
That may have come our wrong on my part.I didn't mean to imply you were Mgmt or were taking their view point.

I was also just stating a fact.

So, please don't take that the wrong way.

They can't. Here's why (from my experience). Yellow buys XYZ Company. Whatever price they agreed to, they now assign from the Yellow Books to the newly bought company to pay back to the corporation. Say xyz company was debt free and profitable. Now, Yellow will mortgage the terminals of the newly bought company, borrow money against the equipment-- and guess what? Now it's the newly bought company that underperforms (for it must repay debt it didn't have.)

Yellow will next take Underperformance Charges against the brand name, saying they bought a bad company. And Yellow will redo their corp taxes several times until they have drained every last drop off the new now debt-ridden company. The only thing they used to do that now they cannot is ask for a wage consession. We at Preston "gave back" (I hate that term-- you cannot give back what you never had) an amount over the 6 years Yellow owned us , equal to the price they paid for us AND Saia. And then they kept Saia.

They've done this with Preston, Saia, Dugan, Holland, New Penn, and Bestway. It's the Yellow way. I'm surprised they didn't pull this one on Roadway; Big R's Head Honchos must be smarter than Billy Z.......

What YRCW apparently did Not plan on was a bad economy. Almost 2 Billion in debt drags when you can't fill all the trucks and you're experimenting with combining things and buying every new system under the sun...

Kansas City Star reporting that YRCW took a 823 million non cash charge on a tax filing with the SEC today, reducing the value of ALL the brand names today. It said this automatically dropped 1.6 billion off the value of the company. One big happy family (all the brands devalued) does this mean they are sucking all the value from themselves? Oh yeah, this was on top of the 700 and something million dollar non cash charge they took earlier this year.

Kansas City Star reporting that YRCW took a 823 million non cash charge on a tax filing with the SEC today, reducing the value of ALL the brand names today. It said this automatically dropped 1.6 billion off the value of the company. One big happy family (all the brands devalued) does this mean they are sucking all the value from themselves? Oh yeah, this was on top of the 700 and something million dollar non cash charge they took earlier this year.

I heard on CNBC this morning that Fidelity has pulled all of their holdings in Yellow out effective today 11/13/08. This is not good news from what is being said. I hope you all pull through this. It would benefit no one if anything happened to yrc.

I would expect Fedex to have more integrity than that........I work for non-union small regional, but did work at conway for 9 years prior and I have to say that my current employer and conway always kept the lid on spreading rumors to the customers. They should not have to use fear tactics if the service and pricing are in place.

Spreading bs rumors about yellow closing

captain::hysterical: NOW DRIVER YOU DON'T THINK THEY WOULD STOOP THAT LOW DO YOU? WHY WE ARE ALL ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY OVER HERE AT FEDEX FREIGHT (NOT). I DON'T SEE THEM LURING DRIVERS AWAY FROM ANYONE AT THE MOMENT AS THEY ARE TO BUSY CANNING THE ONES THEY HAVE. THEY CLOSED A CUST CENTER AND TOLD THE DRIVERS THAT THERE WOULDN'T BE ANY ADDITIONAL RUNS OUT OF THE HUB BUT THEY COULD TFR ANYWHERE IN THE SYSTEM BUT WOULD HAVE TO GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SENOIRTY BOARD OR FIND ANOTHER JOB. THIS WAS TOLD TO ME BY ANOTHER DRIVER SO YOU CAN TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT OR NOT. THEY TALK ABOUT TAKING CARE OF THEIR PEOPLE AND THE CUSTOMER WHICH IS A BUNCH OF CRAP. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO DELIVERING THE PURPLE PROMISE AT ANY COST AND TELLING EVERYONE THEY NEED TO BE SALESMEN/WOMEN FOR THE COMPANY TO ATTRACT NEW BUSINESS. THEY COULD KEEP MORE BUSINESS IF THEY WOULD QUIT JACKING THEIR RATES UP EVERYTIME YOU TURN AROUND. GRANTED THEY GIVE DISCOUNTS TO THE MAJORITY OF THE LARGER CUSTOMERS BUT THAT DOESN'T HELP THE LITTLE GUY. WHEN THE FUEL PRICES GO DOWN THEN YOU NEED TO ADJUST THE RATES ACCORDINGLY. ONE YEAR THEY JACKED IT UP AND BLAMED IT ON OUR HEALTH CARE GOING UP AND THAT WAS THE YEAR WE STARTED HAVING TO PAY MORE FOR OUR HEALTH CARE. I HAVE BEEN THERE OVER 15YRS AND WILL JUST HAVE TO TOUGH IT OUT UNTIL RETIREMENT IF THAT IS EVEN POSSIBLE IN THIS DAY AND AGE. THEY WANT THE BUSINESS ON THEIR TERMS AND NO BODY ELSES.