Fellow Local Driver Suspended

Unionlife

TB Lurker
Credits
The difference between At-Will Employment (currently @ NCT) and a Teamster
contract

This past Friday local driver J C was suspended for 3 days without
pay. Yes, an income loss of 3 days! This happened just because the boss said so.
The boss decided that J C was guilty with no day in court. Again, as American
citizens we are innocent until proven guilty not guilty because some law
enforcement official said we were guilty. So, why should we not have the same
rights and freedoms that we enjoy as American citizens in our place of
employment?
The At-Will employment doctrine says that you can be fired for any reason at
all, even if it is not a good reason. Just because the boss said so! Under this,
and proven by NCT management on Friday as well as many other days, you can be a
great employee, make the company money, show up to work on time and every day,
but still lose money that your family needs to survive because the boss said you
were GUILTY! Can your family take that chance in this economy or any economy?

Under a Teamster contract with Just Cause this is what would have happened. The
employer could only discipline within the guidelines of the negotiated contract.
If this situation called for a verbal warning or written warning then the
employer could give that discipline. But if the employer tried to suspend or go
outside the contract then a grievance would be filed and the discipline would
have to pass the tests of just cause in order to be "just cause". So, J C would
have not lost any pay and he would have his right to innocent until proven
guilty.

Discipline, Suspension & Discharge need to pass the Seven Tests of Just Cause in
order to be deemed "Just Cause"

If the employer reacted to J C or any employee in the same fashion the employer
must prove Guilt under the following rules:

Just cause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, the choice for your family should be easy. The approximate 3 hours a month
in dues gives you and your family insurance against "just because the boss said
so".

VOTE YES SO WHAT HAPPENED TO J C DOES NOT HAPPEN TO YOU!

Fraternally,
Chris Buschmeier
Teamsters Local Union 107
Collective Bargaining...the Right of all Americans

So, what did JC do to get suspended? Maybe if you put that out there, we could make our own decisions as to if the punishment fit the crime. I am sure he did not get suspended for nothing.

So, what did JC do to get suspended? Maybe if you put that out there, we could make our own decisions as to if the punishment fit the crime. I am sure he did not get suspended for nothing.
It was a verbal confrontation started by an employee of a customer. It was a short exchange which involved just the employee and not the owner of the particular company or the receiving dept personnel.

Here's another example of why you need reprsentation. JC should not have been suspended without pay. An investigation and applying the 7 tests is protocol in a union contract. Mind you all the while JC would still be earning his wages. If JC was a no vote,after reading this, I see another yes vote now!!!

so do we know if he did something to antagonize the situation with the customer?

obviously something else is underlying here that would result in a suspension>?

regardless of what he said he if the union was there PROTECTING THE DRIVERS FROM COMMUNIST RULES, he'd still be working pending an investigation. A written warning or verbal warning is usually the result for a 1st time offense, not a 3 day suspension without pay!

well doesnt it depend on what happened?? i used to work for UFCW 1360 a long time agoand you COULD be suspended without pay based on what the violation was...usually you would be suspended, and would have to appeal to your union rep and have them come in and argue on your behalf..

speaking from experience you could get a suspension, but would need to set up a meeting to argue your case...

and what hes/she said definitely matters!

So does anyone want to know the truth of what JC did and what J C ADMITTED TO ?? Do you want to know the truth or just go along with the lies !!

Let me give you the truth.

J C admitted to calling a customer a FING A HOLE.

So tell me Chris what should the company do ?

My opinion is Chris you need to concentrate on YRC and how they are going to JAM it to your membership with MORE give backs and concessions now those workers have my sympathy from the crappy Teamster leadership !!

well doesnt it depend on what happened?? i used to work for UFCW 1360 a long time agoand you COULD be suspended without pay based on what the violation was...usually you would be suspended, and would have to appeal to your union rep and have them come in and argue on your behalf..

speaking from experience you could get a suspension, but would need to set up a meeting to argue your case...

and what hes/she said definitely matters!

It definitely did not fit the punishment...it was not JC that antagonized the employee. The punishment was issued by NCT when they stated the customer is always right. Even though the employee of that company had nothing to do with shipping or receiving. This is another example of AT-WILL employment.

so if he admitted to calling the customers employee a a-hole then its case closed,

unfortunately punishment fits the crime...you cant go out there and fight with customers...regardless of the department the work for...how do you fix that with a customer aside from repreimanding that person?

if it was BS im sure his driver manager would back him but, but if he admitted it well then you got to live up to it...plain and simple

we all make mistakes and he fessed up and took his punishment, CASE closed

Hey unionlife & Chris how's about I call your mother FING A HOLE or call your sister or son or daughter,, you would be pissed beyond belief. J C ADMITTED to doing this so to me it's a done deal. He did the crime now he has to do the time.

punishment only fits NEW CENTURY'S policy strictly based on who it is. Different rules for different people. I know JC personally. He has been there since the company started. Always did a great job day after day. Just goes to show you how stupid management is. 1 day before the vote and they suspend a guy without pay. If he was a no vote, guess he's reconsidering now! And all those guys that run with him are a close knit group. I bet they're ticked off too!!!!

Hey unionlife & Chris how's about I call your mothe....................................................... J C ADMITTED to doing this so to me it's a done deal. He did the crime now he has to do the time.
How do you know about this situation so much?

Last edited by a moderator:
even if you admit to a crime your not going to receive union punishment??? o wait i dont think thats how it works...

no disrespect to JC but he said hey it happened and accepted it

whats more to argue, this is not the OJ trial the guy said he did and expected to be reprimanded...didnt need to cry to a union rep to defend him for something he did

ACTED like a man and took responsibility for his actions

Mark really stop you have soo much BS coming out of your mouth it's comical, JC ADMITTED to it wow what is the heck is wrong with you. Mark what would have happened to you if you cursed at a customer tell the truth !! You know the deal it's a huge no no !!

Case in point. Why does NCT have double standards for disipline for similar infractions? Driver A rolls a truck over and it was proven speed played a major factor. Driver A gets a reprimand. Driver B rolls a truck and it was company error regarding the security of the load. Driver B loses his job. Neither driver A or B had a bad driving record or a pattern of driving reckless during their employ. Do you think that is an example of fair and just punishment???

^^ to be honest I can't answer to that one I don't have any info.
On the other how do I know so much ? It's simple truck drivers talk more than girls you know that it's all drama in the drivers room ! So I am repeating what I heard that night.

To be honest I am tired off all This drama Tuesday we get to vote and I will vote no and let the chips fall where they fall.

point taken.... everyone should be treated EQUALLY regardless of who they are. The union would make sure everyone is treated EQUALLY regardless of who you are. The reason why I know first hand about this because I am personal friends with driver A and Driver B.