Yellow | Filed 12/20/2023.... Still More To Go:

We'll have to agree to disagree. For a variety of reasons I've already expressed I still believe Maybrook is still the better and almost perfect location for a break serving the Northeast.

PS - Enfield is nowhere near I87. Better recheck your map. And "travel down the coast" is much worse than travel on I84. Down the coast (I95) gets you through the heavy traffic of NYC Metro area. Not desirable.
Enfield is one of the more bizarre locations I've ever heard suggested for a break.

I think it was somewhere around 1990 before we got time start destination bids. I was on call for 15 years. A large part of the reason I was never too impressed with the union.
We had destination bids back in the 50s, you just needed 15 or more years to hold one.
I had my share of extra board also.

Sometime, probably about 1979 , as an O/O, I was following 3 LTL trucks down 17, I believe it was (Four lane, divided, limited access). Paper logs, of course. Hadn’t slept in about 2-3 days. Watched first one go under the underpass, no problem. Watched the second, no problem. As the third went under I realized the sign said 12’! And the LTL trailer was 11 1/2’! Or, as my hazy memory remembers it- all I knew was I was 13’6”!!!!

I slammed on the brakes, slid to a stop on the shoulder, short of the underpass. Had to back up over a mile, probably more like 2, to get to an exit. Went back north to the Thruway…… Man- those were the days!
Jimmy, I can't think of any place on 17 in Jersey where there was a 12' bridge. The only place with a bridge lower than 13' 6" was on 17 in NY around Harriman, NY where the former Erie RR crossed over the highway. Could that be the one you're remembering?

He worked the road.. He was on the Portland bid for a couple of years.. Actually would have gotten me a job there but yellow first called me during the strike and wanted me to run the road and when I refused because of the strike they never called again..

He worked the road.. He was on the Portland bid for a couple of years.. Actually would have gotten me a job there but yellow first called me during the strike and wanted me to run the road and when I refused because of the strike they never called again..
OK on that. Could be I never crossed paths with him.

Jimmy, I can't think of any place on 17 in Jersey where there was a 12' bridge. The only place with a bridge lower than 13' 6" was on 17 in NY around Harriman, NY where the former Erie RR crossed over the highway. Could that be the one you're remembering?
Don’t know- ran it once, 3/4 asleep. Came off the Thruway and the map showed it was a way south???????

I Have slept since then. Must not have been in a Holiday Inn Express!

I believe the bridge in question was in Harriman on Rt 17 just by the chemical factory .. I think it was marked 12'8" and although the clearance was 13'8" inches there was a town cop that would ticket trucks and write the summons for failure to obey a traffic sign.. NuCar carriers coming out of the Mahwah ford plant used it all the time..

Breeze, when you had those bids, how often did you need to stop to empty the horse's "bag"? Also, were the wagon wheels wooden or iron?
Our horses were well-trained and had designated stops.
You should ask Tri about the wheels, he's more into those facts. :lmao: