Yellow | Filed 12/20/2023.... Still More To Go:

Because ABF believes in handing freight less, not more. Meet and turns are the way to go. As it’s set up now, New England should be loading a Carlisle for South freight, a Dayton for southwest, a Chicago for west coast, and a Buffalo for Canada.
Of course meet and turns are better which is why Maybrook is prime location for turning most all Northeast locations. South freight would be handled at Maybrook and not handled at Carlisle, just relayed there as a turn run from Maybrook break. And Maybrook/Dayton would be a laydown or a meet turn.

Last edited:
At Maislin we'd stop on the shoulder of 17 in Ramsey and run across to have something at Tiffany Diner, or at Plattekill or Malden Service area. After getting my return load at Albany I'd go to Denny's in Colonie (dated a waitress there a number of times) then maybe stop and visit other "friends" at Ulster or Modena Service Areas. At one time before we had Thruway charge cards we couldn't really leave the Thruway so I'd sometimes park at the Kingston exit on the shoulder right before the toll booth and ride in to the Gateway Diner with one of the Smith drivers who could get on and off. The job was a real social event back in the day.
Sometime, probably about 1979 , as an O/O, I was following 3 LTL trucks down 17, I believe it was (Four lane, divided, limited access). Paper logs, of course. Hadn’t slept in about 2-3 days. Watched first one go under the underpass, no problem. Watched the second, no problem. As the third went under I realized the sign said 12’! And the LTL trailer was 11 1/2’! Or, as my hazy memory remembers it- all I knew was I was 13’6”!!!!

I slammed on the brakes, slid to a stop on the shoulder, short of the underpass. Had to back up over a mile, probably more like 2, to get to an exit. Went back north to the Thruway…… Man- those were the days!

Speaking of Maybrook- when my Son was still in the USAF he spent an overnight at Stewart AFB. His hotel was across the street from Orange County Choppers. Paul Sr personally gave my Son a tour and posed for a picture with him. I no longer have the pic but it was hilarious- my kid is 6’3” (his brothers are 6’7” and 6’9”) and Paul Sr is barely over 5’! Very very grateful man, especially for our Military!!!!!

Personally (as a meet turn driver going to the ABF maybrook terminal ) I have to assume if ABF is thinking of a hub terminal further northeast then our enfield terminal is the prime location to modify to that. It just needs more land (that is for sale btw) and then build the extra doors needed and bingo you have a New England hub that can now make overnight deliveries possible

Of course meet and turns are better which is why Maybrook is prime location for turning most all Northeast locations. South freight would be handled at Maybrook and not handled at Carlisle, just relayed there as a turn run from Maybrook break. And Maybrook/Dayton would be a laydown or a meet turn.
Maybrook also has access to the rail.. And that makes the property a little more valuable..

No RT, not yet. Something about it still draws me like a moth to a flame! :hysterical:
To each their own, I guess. I too thought I would miss it, but nearly five months in I don't miss it at all. Just got the thumbs-up from Social Security yesterday for a bit more $$ than originally forecast. I'll maintain my CDL just in case (it's WAY too hard to get it back nowadays), but retirement seems to be fitting me well.

I stopped at the Tiffany Diner occasionally, we went by there on the way to Spring Valley. I'd stop there or Paul's Diner on 46. Gateway was a good stop going to Albany, Gloversville or Pittsfield Mass. We had no destination or time start bids back then, we serviced close to 40 terminals and you never knew when or where you were going til you got to the window.
I put a stop to that when Ryder acquired Harris.
A Harris dispatcher called me and said to be here in 2 hours, I asked where am I going.
He said what difference does it make?
I said "A hole", when you find out, call me back and hung up the phone.
In less than 10 minutes he received a call from the BA telling him you don't work for Harris any more,
you need to learn Ryder's rules.

Personally (as a meet turn driver going to the ABF maybrook terminal ) I have to assume if ABF is thinking of a hub terminal further northeast then our enfield terminal is the prime location to modify to that. It just needs more land (that is for sale btw) and then build the extra doors needed and bingo you have a New England hub that can now make overnight deliveries possible
I would disagree strongly with Enfield as a break. It's too far north IMHO and is only near north/south I91. Maybrook is right off east/west I84, with nearby access to north/south Thruway/I87 and east west Rt 17/I88. And I don't believe Enfield is legally turnable from Carlisle. Just my observation.

I would disagree strongly with Enfield as a break. It's too far north IMHO and is only near north/south I91. Maybrook is right off east/west I84, with nearby access to north/south Thruway/I87 and east west Rt 17/I88. And I don't believe Enfield is legally turnable from Carlisle. Just my observation.
Enfield is almost the same distance from an east/west interstate by way of 90 or 84 and is about the same distance as maybrook would be from 87, plus 91 terminates into 95 at its southern end for travel down the coast . And enfield being more east and north means that all of the New England area is turntable as well as areas as far away as avenel and Syracuse and probably better switch point going to Canada terminals out this way. Not being able to turn from Carlisle is not an major issue, it’s 6 hours each way (at speed limits) but ABF can meet at 321 if they don’t want lay downs like is done now.

Enfield is almost the same distance from an east/west interstate by way of 90 or 84 and is about the same distance as maybrook would be from 87, plus 91 terminates into 95 at its southern end for travel down the coast . And enfield being more east and north means that all of the New England area is turntable as well as areas as far away as avenel and Syracuse and probably better switch point going to Canada terminals out this way. Not being able to turn from Carlisle is not an major issue, it’s 6 hours each way (at speed limits) but ABF can meet at 321 if they don’t want lay downs like is done now.
We'll have to agree to disagree. For a variety of reasons I've already expressed I still believe Maybrook is still the better and almost perfect location for a break serving the Northeast.

PS - Enfield is nowhere near I87. Better recheck your map. And "travel down the coast" is much worse than travel on I84. Down the coast (I95) gets you through the heavy traffic of NYC Metro area. Not desirable.

I put a stop to that when Ryder acquired Harris.
A Harris dispatcher called me and said to be here in 2 hours, I asked where am I going.
He said what difference does it make?
I said "A hole", when you find out, call me back and hung up the phone.
In less than 10 minutes he received a call from the BA telling him you don't work for Harris any more,
you need to learn Ryder's rules.

I think it was somewhere around 1990 before we got time start destination bids. I was on call for 15 years. A large part of the reason I was never too impressed with the union.

We'll have to agree to disagree. For a variety of reasons I've already expressed I still believe Maybrook is still the better and almost perfect location for a break serving the Northeast.

PS - Enfield is nowhere near I87. Better recheck your map. And "travel down the coast" is much worse than travel on I84. Down the coast (I95) gets you through the heavy traffic of NYC Metro area. Not desirable.
Did you run out of Maybrook?