First day...

wiggletrain

TB Lurker
Credits
1050 cases, 13 stops, done in 13 hours.

Wow. Glad I was training and not yet on my own! What a different world!

But I still think I'm going to like this... when I get used to it and can keep straight what is chill/frozen/dry and where it goes...

10 hours off, and back at it!

1050 cases, 13 stops, done in 13 hours.

Wow. Glad I was training and not yet on my own! What a different world!

But I still think I'm going to like this... when I get used to it and can keep straight what is chill/frozen/dry and where it goes...

10 hours off, and back at it!

Not bad Girl, even with 2 people, you are training so your trainer had to take time to explain things, there will come a time though that you will kick that off in 10 hrs and go to the house and watch your bank account grow!!!

Good to hear from you!! :)

Thanks GT, and yeah, no doubt RR!

I'm actually having a blast! I do think I'm gonna love this! It's a way different world. Today was less cases, more stops, more miles, more hours. I almost liked yesterday better. I'm off until monday morning, and can really use the time to get some sleep! Not sore yet...

Pretty funny, though... I'm little (5'3") and my handtruck is as tall as I am, and about everything I move weighs more than I do. Having a little trouble getting leverage against it, but I'll figure it out... The flat beds were forhead-level to me and I could strap my loads as tight as anyone else... I'll get this grocery throwing gig down!

Thanks GT, and yeah, no doubt RR!

I'm actually having a blast! I do think I'm gonna love this! It's a way different world. Today was less cases, more stops, more miles, more hours. I almost liked yesterday better. I'm off until monday morning, and can really use the time to get some sleep! Not sore yet...

Pretty funny, though... I'm little (5'3") and my handtruck is as tall as I am, and about everything I move weighs more than I do. Having a little trouble getting leverage against it, but I'll figure it out... The flat beds were forhead-level to me and I could strap my loads as tight as anyone else... I'll get this grocery throwing gig down!

I have no doubt in my mind that you will do just that!!!! :)

Not bad WT. Your 5'3? I'm 5'4 So we are almost the same height. I hate it when the 2 wheeler is taller then me. But then again IDk what a 2 wheeler is. You should take a picture of you standing by your 2 wheeler so see how tall it is compared to you. I'm kidding lol. But good luck to you. You will do just fine and just take your time. No need to rush and get hurt. Like GT said over time you will get quicker and faster without knowing it. And once you learn the boxes and there sizes it will become easier to size them up when stacking. Keep us posted

Thanks MM. That's what I'm thinking too. Get the paperwork/ the XATA figured out, find the drops/ figure the product. Two days in, and today was much better. Well, I felt like I was doing better, and that god damn pallet jack... jesus! I can drive a moffett and hyster, any truck I want and almost any other piece of machinery, but that pallet jack is something to get used to.

HaHa! That and the various customer that thinks they should see their "sysco guys" instead of some chick, lol! Even my trainer noticed some looks from customers... glad it wasn't just me. Good that him and I get along well, it'd be much harder to pick things up quickly if he weren't in my corner!

Oh - and by the way... wish I didn't know what a two wheeler was... Kind of! :)

Well was it good looks? like damn thats one good lookin sysco driver? or was it hmm a chick delivering groceries?

Come on over to Martin Brower. You still throw groceries but no 2 wheeler required.

Hey WT,

Believe it or not, we have two drivers who are shorter than you. It boggles my mind how they do it every day because they stack most of our pallets about seven feet high. Some of the drivers use their dolly as a ladder, just not in front of the supervisor.

Knowing what the product looks like helps, and when I talk to the new drivers over here, I can't believe no one has given them any hints about it.

You will see our "House Brands" over and over, the brand's name should be on the invoice although abbreviated.
Sysco Reliance is a white box with green letters.
Sysco Natural is a white box with gold letters.
Sysco Classic and Serene is a white box with red letters.
Sysco Imperial is a white box with light blue letters.
International Imperial and Wholesome Farms is a white box with black letters.
Casa Solona is a white box with red and black lettering/designs.
Baker's Source, Block and Barrel, Portico, Citavo, Fire River, House Recipe, Pasta Labella and Arrezzio are also all in distinctive boxes.
Almost all the house brands will have a little circle symbol on top corner stating that the box has a minimum of 35% recycled whatever.

You already recognize a lot of the major brands, the same as in the grocery store, just bigger boxes. On our invoices over here the manufacturer's product code is just to the left of our item number. This is helpful when the shrink wrap steals pull sticker, or if the selector got lazy and didn't put the sticker on the box. The manufacturer's product code is usually printed prominently on the box.

Are you using the scanners over there yet? A lot of the drivers grumbled about them, but at this point I'd be lost without it, it tells me exactly what I'm looking for without having to sort through the invoice.

SC - First day 95mi in town, second day just over 200mi on the coast run.

Ted, we have the scanners. I like them, since i know no different. Thankfully I worked in foodservice (the restaraunt end of it) years ago, and many of the products haven't changed much, I am starting to recognize quite a bit already. Thanks for the info, though. Yesterday I noticed I had a much lazier loader, a lot of the stickers were either put on like **** and couldn't be scanned, or they pulled multiples and threw a stack of stickers on the board.

MM - kind of both: There was one girl that was throwing daggers at me with her eyes. My trainer even mentioned it to our bosses back at the yard. It's funny, and he's having fun with it, too! One customer talked to me like I was on a ride along with my dad; wouldn't aknowledge that I was there, really, talked to me and asked me to ask "my driver" something, lol! The trainer and I talked about it on the way back, he was amused by the looks people gave me when I walked in their stores: He said the mixture of amusement, shock and, yeah, from some, the "holy ****, it's a girl!" One customer even commented "you have a girl with you (like he didn't know), I guess it's okay if she's strong enough to do it..." There was more than one line cook that stopped working to look at talk to each other about the new driver, lol! I told my trainer I am going to shave my head so I look like the rest of them. He's even having fun with the drivers at the yard when they realize there's a girl in their space. It'll take them a while to get used to it, and realize they can be themselves around me. I'm a truck driver just like them, and yes, I think and talk like they do; maybe even worse, lol!, but until they get to know me, they'll be awful quiet and cautious!

And - in just one day I made double what I would have at my old job... LOVE that! much better to wake up tired and know there is a reason for it and it was worth it!

Moneyman - If I went to Martin Brower then I'd have to pay to workout in a gym - Sysco's paying me to work out on their trucks! :)

Hey WT,

Believe it or not, we have two drivers who are shorter than you. It boggles my mind how they do it every day because they stack most of our pallets about seven feet high. Some of the drivers use their dolly as a ladder, just not in front of the supervisor.

Knowing what the product looks like helps, and when I talk to the new drivers over here, I can't believe no one has given them any hints about it.

You will see our "House Brands" over and over, the brand's name should be on the invoice although abbreviated.
Sysco Reliance is a white box with green letters.
Sysco Natural is a white box with gold letters.
Sysco Classic and Serene is a white box with red letters.
Sysco Imperial is a white box with light blue letters.
International Imperial and Wholesome Farms is a white box with black letters.
Casa Solona is a white box with red and black lettering/designs.
Baker's Source, Block and Barrel, Portico, Citavo, Fire River, House Recipe, Pasta Labella and Arrezzio are also all in distinctive boxes.
Almost all the house brands will have a little circle symbol on top corner stating that the box has a minimum of 35% recycled whatever.

You already recognize a lot of the major brands, the same as in the grocery store, just bigger boxes. On our invoices over here the manufacturer's product code is just to the left of our item number. This is helpful when the shrink wrap steals pull sticker, or if the selector got lazy and didn't put the sticker on the box. The manufacturer's product code is usually printed prominently on the box.

Are you using the scanners over there yet? A lot of the drivers grumbled about them, but at this point I'd be lost without it, it tells me exactly what I'm looking for without having to sort through the invoice.

That product code is a valuable tool to have when looking for say butter chips or P/C of which we have around 4 different products but different codes, I had to use the product code friday to find the right one for one of my customers, none of the butter products were stickered.

Hey now WT us Martin Brower drivers still work very hard throwing those cases. LOL we actually do work hard but it is way easier then pushing that 2 wheeler around.

I bet your customers did give you lots of looks. You must be a good lookin woman and I'm sure your customers will love you. Hopefully they take care of you. Good luck

Oh Man... what a day. bunch of drivers called in sick. I arrived at 2:30 to a ton of route changes, and I was paired with our router for my trainer... No scanner. no XATA. Hunt and peck and try to make sure you find everything day. The route I ended up with wasn't mine, but was one in North/Northeast Portland. 12 (or 13?, can't remember) stops, less than 80 miles. 11 hours, short day. And so glad I knew the area already or I would have been lost. I thouroughly enjoy my beer tonight...

And, oddly, I still like it! Yep - think I'm staying. Atleast I got to do the driving today... I think I'm going to kiss my scanner when I get it tomorrow...

Will be nice when the briuses on my arm go away... (from the two-wheeler...) Badges of honor right now... As for the morning, welcome to Sysco I hear!

Thanks, MM. Some say I am... Not bad for a mom of a bunch of kids, lol! One day I'll tell you the address to my blog, or FB. You can judge for yourself. But in all honesty, I think it's a bit of a handicap... People assume I am a ditz, my size and my looks have made it harder for me in the world of 18-wheelers! :)

Sounds like a crappy day. What did I do today? O yeah i ran 3 loads of buns from the bakery to the warehouse and I tractor to a dealership to get worked on. Man I'm beat LOL. I'm glad you like it tho.

Yeah I got facebook to. You are making me curious tho. If your looks have made it hard for you in the work of 18-wheelers it makes a guy wonder

By Friday I'll be dreaming of a day like yours... Or maybe in about a half an hour as I lay down for my 4 hours of sleep before I'm up for work again! :)

Oh Man... what a day. bunch of drivers called in sick. I arrived at 2:30 to a ton of route changes, and I was paired with our router for my trainer... No scanner. no XATA. Hunt and peck and try to make sure you find everything day. The route I ended up with wasn't mine, but was one in North/Northeast Portland. 12 (or 13?, can't remember) stops, less than 80 miles. 11 hours, short day. And so glad I knew the area already or I would have been lost. I thouroughly enjoy my beer tonight...

And, oddly, I still like it! Yep - think I'm staying. Atleast I got to do the driving today... I think I'm going to kiss my scanner when I get it tomorrow...

Will be nice when the briuses on my arm go away... (from the two-wheeler...) Badges of honor right now... As for the morning, welcome to Sysco I hear!

Thanks, MM. Some say I am... Not bad for a mom of a bunch of kids, lol! One day I'll tell you the address to my blog, or FB. You can judge for yourself. But in all honesty, I think it's a bit of a handicap... People assume I am a ditz, my size and my looks have made it harder for me in the world of 18-wheelers! :)

One thing you can do for the bruises is tape the top of the wheeler, I rest it on my arm alot and if its not taped it will cut you up too.

Not having a scanner sux, with the new system they took away our manifest that broke down cases, now some cases that are dry are classed cooler and cooler dry, I have to work off the invoice and its time consuming, I used to count cases before I came to sysco so its no big deal but the way the invoce is set up now its near impossible.

Yeah it wasn't fun... I told the driver check-in guy to not judge me on my paperwork yesterday, lol! He was good about it...

My trainer talked to the shop about having them get me another wheeler with a shorter top, and they're gonna, but your right, it's from resting it on my arm... Thanks for the advice about the tape.

Yeah it wasn't fun... I told the driver check-in guy to not judge me on my paperwork yesterday, lol! He was good about it...

My trainer talked to the shop about having them get me another wheeler with a shorter top, and they're gonna, but your right, it's from resting it on my arm... Thanks for the advice about the tape.

Another piece of advice, get more sleep, once your on your own your gonna have to, Sysco don't tolerate tardyness, at least not here, 10 points rack up quick, thats out progressive disipline in our contract...more important, your health and ability to do your job effectively depends on rest, as you have figured out, you need endurance to do this job, sleep is key to help your body repair itself, especially starting out.

I know its easier said than done, but ask the older kids to help you out, you can burn out quick in this job without sleep, I'm speaking from experience.

I know, and thanks. I get it where I can. One of my little one's is special needs, and that translates into hard nights. I've lived off 4 or so a night for the last almost 9 years... The big kids help a lot, and when I really have to, I tell them "that's it, I HAVE to sleep." My other job I was working 60-70 hours a week also, just not getting paid for it usually...

Wednesday while the three youngest are at school is my day to sleep if I don't get called in...