R&L | Flat Rate for Dropped Trailers...

R&L_PHI

TB Lurker
Credits
This just started at our terminal last week,and the rates are ridiculous,No traffic or average delays added into rate. Flat rate for dropped trailers.......Okay.......Pay me flat rate for 1.5 stops per hour....Hmmmmm Let me see......Average 20 stops a day.......that should pay me approximately 13.33 hours a day.

They have doing this at our terminal now for over a year. Its a slap in the damn face, you work hard all day, 10-12 hours, and then they have you come in and clock out and do a flat rate run.

On these runs, you NEVER make what you would had you stayed on the clock. (Usually substancially less)

Just another way do desroy morale, and take from the driver.

From outside this to me is very unfair how can they justify this as not being city p&d?

They dont justify anything to us,they just do it and dont care. Sorry to the folks that will say Im being negative but it really is true.

always the same guys on here complaining I have said it many times before the company does not hold a gun to your head to come to work if you are not happy go driver for someone else

I FIX THEM said:
always the same guys on here complaining I have said it many times before the company does not hold a gun to your head to come to work if you are not happy go driver for someone else

Easy for you to say. You don't have to work for a flat rate to fix trucks and aren't you the one that doesn't even work at R+L anymore?

I am still here and happy there you go guessing again just like everyone Else on this board guessing

aren't you the one that doesn't even work at R+L anymore?
"Aren't" suggests a question not a statement of fact. Im sorry I confused you with the other mechanic that was on here and left the company however the other part of my post was a statement and I still stand by it.

Last edited by a moderator:

From the outside looking in and not trying to burst anybody's bubble, I FIX THEM, if they brought you a tractor in the shop for a work order that takes 2.5 hours to fix, and R&L said, oh by the way, were making some changes, were going to pay you a flat rate of $25.00 to fix this tractor, how would you feel?

You people sound spoiled. We have been doing the drop trailer thing for over 10 years. If a city guy comes in and is asked to go get one it is because they are swamped. Some times the flat rate works out to your benifit,sometimes it doesn't-it all depends on the traffic.

You people sound spoiled. We have been doing the drop trailer thing for over 10 years. If a city guy comes in and is asked to go get one it is because they are swamped. Some times the flat rate works out to your benifit,sometimes it doesn't-it all depends on the traffic.

Seriously,how can you as a "driver" say people are spoiled? We are city drivers payed by the hour. I desire to stay on the clock. Is that too much to ask? Its clearly a way to reduce labor by screwing the city drivers out of pay. So far every driver that has written on here about it says it is bad pay wise for them. That alone tells me its unfair. You claim to be a line haul driver so I don't expect you to understand and if your an office person posing as a driver I really don't expect you to understand.

you see thats where you speak out of turn.
guys who come back at maybe 4-5 oclock who are asked to go back out is one thing. thats not what the prob is. its when a guy comes back at 630, and then is told to go back out or else, then winds up having to work another 3 hours when all is said and done, and winds up getting paid about 20-25 less than if he was still on the clock. meanwhile 4-5 guys came back before him and werent told to go back out. that is stupid.
and hey my man, WE ALREADY DONT GET PAID OVERTIME!!!!!!! what part of that dont you get? r&l isnt happy getting that, they have to take it a step further knowing they are going to save a crapload of money by doing this. this whole flat rate thing is for the benefit of r&l, once again off our backs. if thats ok with you, more power to ya.
its not with me, and prob 90% of everybody else.
you did your part and showed us how to man up.
good job

I heard that R&L City Drivers get paid more if they pick-up and deliver more freight than the other guys at the terminal. Is this true? Just wondering?

What they save in these flat rate runs (In Dollars) by not paying the driver properly by the hour, they lose in the fact that the drivers attitude towards the company is greatly diminished. They can't put a dollar figure on the amount they have lost in "GOOD WILL" from their employee's.

Where this used to be someplace to be proud to work for most of us, now it is just a job. You Reap what you Sow, this not only applies to individuals, but also companies. I will continue to do my best for the company, because thats how I am, but I don't trust them anymore, and I am certainly not the only one who feels this way.

What they save in these flat rate runs (In Dollars) by not paying the driver properly by the hour, they lose in the fact that the drivers attitude towards the company is greatly diminished. They can't put a dollar figure on the amount they have lost in "GOOD WILL" from their employee's.

Where this used to be someplace to be proud to work for most of us, now it is just a job. You Reap what you Sow, this not only applies to individuals, but also companies. I will continue to do my best for the company, because thats how I am, but I don't trust them anymore, and I am certainly not the only one who feels this way.

this is 100% on point and accurate.