food service business

Cajuntex

TB Lurker
Credits
Rank the best food service companies to work for.
How hard is the work. Work life balance. Does these companies have weekends off.
Most important do these companies stay steady year round. I am in LTL and it is so unsteady its driving me nuts. I would love to make 70 to 80 grand a year and have a local job. I would not mind being out 2 to 3 nights a week. I had my cdl since 1999 so experience is not a problem. Info please!!!!!!!!!! thanks in advance

I came from food service to the ltl world. Definitely miss the food service, but it's definitely not for everyone it's hard work. I would say depends on where you live of work is steady. As usual pretty much every where is a little busier in the summer. Where I'm from its a huge difference in winter and summer business. Being one of the reasons I switched

Pretty steady with us it's usually always busy at least for me, see if you run skip day routes and do a lot of schools in the summer time you might get a little light and have you're route cut and work as a rider sometime however they still pay riders like $150.00 for that day so not bad, but if you're like me and run express routes which are not as sought after and do a lot of commercial accounts regular restaurants, bars and grills and stuff like that then you really do not have much of a slow down.

Would be easier to list companies if you tell us where you live. I also left LTL to go back to foodservice.....well kinda I went to a milk company delivering milk to grocery stores and so far it's great. Way easier then foodservice but still physical enough that it'll get me back in shape. Plus I'm union now.

Smiths Dairy here in Ohio had a couple jobs, but none for drivers so they must be keeping people I guess. Dairymen's is the big dairy though here in Cleveland and Ohio there union, but they pay hourly, but have kind of a higher turnover then you would like to see and we've had guys now who work at Gordon's who used to work at Dairymen's and they said Dairymen's was alright, but the pay could have been a tad better, like you weren't starving or anything, but it could have been better.

Gordon's is in Huston you could work there go apply to work for Glazier Foods that's the company they bought out.
Sysco probably has an Opco somewhere there. I would try Glazier Foods first.

Would be easier to list companies if you tell us where you live. I also left LTL to go back to foodservice.....well kinda I went to a milk company delivering milk to grocery stores and so far it's great. Way easier then foodservice but still physical enough that it'll get me back in shape. Plus I'm union now.
What ltl company did you go to?

Rank the best food service companies to work for.
How hard is the work. Work life balance. Does these companies have weekends off.
Most important do these companies stay steady year round. I am in LTL and it is so unsteady its driving me nuts. I would love to make 70 to 80 grand a year and have a local job. I would not mind being out 2 to 3 nights a week. I had my cdl since 1999 so experience is not a problem. Info please!!!!!!!!!! thanks in advance
I would definitely go us foods before sysco. Gordons is probably the best to work for but the pay is a lot lower than sysco or us foods

Yeah Sysco and US do pay more then Gordon's not that you'll be starving at Gordon's it's not like that ha-ha. Nobody at our yard is going hungry and if they are then it's there fault.

Yeah Sysco and US do pay more then Gordon's not that you'll be starving at Gordon's it's not like that ha-ha. Nobody at our yard is going hungry and if they are then it's there fault.
No definitely wouldn't be starving I would guess around 65k for Gordons. At US I was doing around 85k.

Yeah I'll be just a tad under 65K for the year, but nowhere near 85K. I do think though US Foods and Sysco have higher turnover rate then Gordon's.

Yeah I'll be just a tad under 65K for the year, but nowhere near 85K. I do think though US Foods and Sysco have higher turnover rate then Gordon's.
Yea definitely do. But many more drivers so turnover would be higher. I definitely agree Gordon would be the better of them to work for as far as bennys and having the family feel. Not gonna get that family feel with US or sysco.

And that's crazy your under 65 Mike. It sounds like you put out a decent amount of groceries a week. Here in MD Gordon's has a $1200 min a week.

Will see I have to do a final tally to really see I think I'll be under we get ups and downs around here lately it's been up , but we do have our downs as well. One guy one week for the whole week had 1800 cases which is really low. However I'll have a final tally around the end of this month and will see what the year ended up at.

You know though I think the trade off is we don't work the same hours US and Sysco do. Were usually done by early afternoon and 13-14 hour days are not the norm with us. I have one big day like that a week plus we get profit sharing for our 401K and discounts at the company grocery store which is pretty cool.

I'm at FedEx freight hobby terminal. I have been there for 10 months. It's pretty much been slow since I was hired. I maybe had 13 runs. I'm a road driver but work the dock 80% of the time.

Fxf is a great company with many perks. To get to earn the money I really want it's going to take a few years I guess.

I did have an interview with Sysco last year but decided to go with Fedex. Sysco just seems like crazy hard work, but they do pay well.