FedEx Freight | Forced to work dock on a 514 mile via night.

Barney

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm a road driver out of *** terminal. I and several of my fellow drivers go to *** terminal every night. We go 100 some miles to get there. I'm usually the bottom guy. About half the nights we work the dock and go home. No problem. But lately we are being forced to work the dock BEFORE we head out on an almost 400 mile via to get home. The via loads are ready to go when we get there and are on the handhelds. I keep hearing drivers tell us there are work rules stating via runs go first. Ya right, hard to do when we are forced onto the slab. And via runs over a certain mileage don't do dock and go. It's really hard to start at 10 pm, do our shuttle run. Then be forced to work the dock 2 hours, then do a 392 mile via in 14 hours. Especially with the mess of snow Monday night. Plus being short a truck for a city driver. I'm not a whiner, but this is ****. Anyone else run into this?

Who said you have to do it in 14?
Bust your 14 on Mon, bust it on Tue and they'll have to come pick you up. Thinking you'll either not do the dock or the via the rest of the week.

They ll do as they please. Sounds familiar. I believe I know what terminal you are talking about. They did that to me a few times....it sucks, but take the money and run..I hate to say it, but, it is what it is.

Mentioned this problem to a couple of drivers from my barn that run a 434 mi shuttle with occasional vias on the way to or from AND always work the dock 3-5 hours a night. If I were to tell you what they said beyond someone needs to man up, well Barney, your feelings might get hurt.

Well, I'll play devils advocate and lend a sympathetic ear. While I'm uncertain this practice is "allowed", I will say that someone who drives over 225 miles each way should not be required to work the dock. I myself am not a fan of dock work and am of the belief that dock work should be left to dock workers and driving should be left to drivers. With that being said, I would suggest taking a city bid or perhaps a run much more your liking if possible.

The hub doesn't want to lose the dock help so they will hold you as long as they can. My favorite is when you finish loading all your freight and think you are going home and you grab tor dispatch and realize you have a 300 mile via. That really pisses me off.

I'm a road driver out of *** terminal. I and several of my fellow drivers go to *** terminal every night. We go 100 some miles to get there. I'm usually the bottom guy. About half the nights we work the dock and go home. No problem. But lately we are being forced to work the dock BEFORE we head out on an almost 400 mile via to get home. The via loads are ready to go when we get there and are on the handhelds. I keep hearing drivers tell us there are work rules stating via runs go first. Ya right, hard to do when we are forced onto the slab. And via runs over a certain mileage don't do dock and go. It's really hard to start at 10 pm, do our shuttle run. Then be forced to work the dock 2 hours, then do a 392 mile via in 14 hours. Especially with the mess of snow Monday night. Plus being short a truck for a city driver. I'm not a whiner, but this is ****. Anyone else run into this?
Yes I have,it is called truckdriving! What a bunch of BS it is. How can a man be expected to work 14 hrs. a day and only scrape by? This is common place at Conway Freight. You should bend your knee to Lord Jesus and ask for just 14 hour days in the future. Shut UP LOVE your Family and Laugh at Fedex Freight. It Truly is a Joke now. FXF can find a vacant spot on my White ass and firmly plant your Cherry lips .

No one's gonna like this....it's Trucking...................Not banking....No where does it state it's one certain way... There are plenty of open city jobs around the system.. find a end of the line terminal and move... We all grip, B^&%h, moan about everything.. When it's slow drivers Grip about being cancelled... When there's plenty to do... YOU STILL ^&*^%! Go to your local un-employment office and tell those people what you make, how you live, what you drive, where you go on vacations... Look at there starving kids TELL THEM THE SAME ..........................CAUSE YOUR PRIVLEDGE ......Cause you have a job... Do you grip when Friday comes around... Please don't raise any children this way ......................Please............................. I pay enough in Extra's ............. Now drive safely!

And I only drive 300 per day... I'd take 514 with dock if I could get it

514 plus dock time aint no cake walk. I did roughly 300 plus 6-7 hrs on the dock. Just brutal. Most days I would walk in, take off my dirty uniforms and pass out on the floor. Luckily I wasnt married or had kids as I wouldn't make it.

Man sign me up I did 300 miles plus 3 to 4 hours on a dock at night, and wanted more......I like the money!

Yea screw that. I did that for two years and it ran me ragged. Never again. Plus I was getting extra money for school too so I was making a killing. But you get off work after 14hrs on duty, plus the extra time you BS with other drivers plus time to drive home, you sleep for a few hours, get up drive back to work. Then you are in the home you are paying for, for less than 10 hrs. Because at con-slave they wanted you ready to go on your 10 hr punch. Even as a young guy(I'm only 28), I realized it wasn't all about the money. Life is too short to spend my life on a lift or in a junkliner. Saturdays are shot, then you wake up dog tired. Cant fully partake in anything because you are trying to recover. Money isn't everything.

Yea screw that. I did that for two years and it ran me ragged. Never again. Plus I was getting extra money for school too so I was making a killing. But you get off work after 14hrs on duty, plus the extra time you BS with other drivers plus time to drive home, you sleep for a few hours, get up drive back to work. Then you are in the home you are paying for, for less than 10 hrs. Because at con-slave they wanted you ready to go on your 10 hr punch. Even as a young guy(I'm only 28), I realized it wasn't all about the money. Life is too short to spend my life on a lift or in a junkliner. Saturdays are shot, then you wake up dog tired. Cant fully partake in anything because you are trying to recover. Money isn't everything.

Exactly, life is wayyyy too short. Extra cash is great, but then I just end up buying garbage I really didn't need in the first place. Now my priorities are in much better order...relax, get laid, watch movies on Hulu and just chill : )