Frame Twist Test: Silverado 2500HD vs. Ford F-250

Dockworker

TB Legend
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
It is a Chevy test. I wonder what Ford has to say about it.

[video=youtube_share;VwSsyHKUeMQ]http://youtu.be/VwSsyHKUeMQ[/video]

i think last year, or the year before, this test was done as well.

i have owned 3 pick up trucks, and some day may get another.

frankly, i like them all, but this next time i might be going for a dodge.

i really do not care much for the toyota, nissan models, as if i am correct, the prices are much higher.

i have never had any reason to do such driving as to test the flexibility of the cab to bed mounting, so this test is meaningless to me. but i also do believe it was mentioned in a previous model introduction, that GM has a different way of mounting the bed/cab to the frame...??

i am trying to locate that information but cannot find it right now

2015-chevrolet-silverado-2500hd-heavy-duty-truck-mo-cargo-management-truck-1114x484.png

if you look at this pic, you can see the cab bolt flange and the bed bolt flange, very close to one another. i think this "might be" what was advertised to cut down on the bed from flexing so much in thier ads....

if i can now find a ford mount, i will post that as well

i am not getting the same information from ford

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I have every been to a jobsite where everyone has had to park their pickup with a rear tire off the ground. Real world testing.......I think not

But the test shows the difference in strength. ...real world. ..you are pulling a fifth wheel and have a accident. ..wouldn't you want the one that had the stronger box to keep the trailer behind you?

That was my take from the demonstration

I don't think I have every been to a jobsite where everyone has had to park their pickup with a rear tire off the ground. Real world testing.......I think not

You was watching that video I posted in the food selfie on the smokers wasn't you.......I think not....lol

And it's so darn cute. .....catch phrases. ...lol... I think not

The guy across the street has one of those Chevy's .. It is getting like 13-14 mpg

If I were going to buy a truck I think I would by that Ram 1500 with the Penestar V6 and the 8 speed auto trans that is rated at 17/25 MPG

Trucks are built for a purpose .....fuel mileage isn't one of them....the old adage comes to play here if can afford the fuel you can afford to truck. .....

Try pulling my 35 foot trailer with a toyota prius...

I get around 15 to 16 mpg with my 06 gmc duramax pulling my camper. It depends if you are in the hills too...flat ground I do well. No problem with power in the hills.. it will drop to 11 mpg...no complaints from me.

If I were going to buy a truck I think I would by that Ram 1500 with the Penestar V6 and the 8 speed auto trans that is rated at 17/25 MPG

I bought a Ram 1500 with the hemi and 8 speed and I get 15-16 in the city and averaged 21 when we drove from Chicago to Myrtle Beach.

with what is expected of a full sized pick up, is it wise to choose a V-6 over a V-8...??

and as for a "mini" pick up, is it wise to have the 4 cyl over a V-6..????

i have always been of the old fashion thinking that a full size NEEDS a V-8, even if only a 302/305...but i'd prefer a 350/351 over a V-6

as stated, gas mileage in pick up trucks can be lousy, but we buy them for the work we need them for.

only slight difference can be had in better mileage if a better breathing intake filtering system is installed, as well as a free flowing exhaust system, but many times, the cost of such may not garner more than one would expect, for the cash laid out.

with what is expected of a full sized pick up, is it wise to choose a V-6 over a V-8...??

and as for a "mini" pick up, is it wise to have the 4 cyl over a V-6..????

i have always been of the old fashion thinking that a full size NEEDS a V-8, even if only a 302/305...but i'd prefer a 350/351 over a V-6

as stated, gas mileage in pick up trucks can be lousy, but we buy them for the work we need them for.

only slight difference can be had in better mileage if a better breathing intake filtering system is installed, as well as a free flowing exhaust system, but many times, the cost of such may not garner more than one would expect, for the cash laid out.

V6 3.6L Penastar = 305 hp and about 6k towing... If the biggest thing you are going to tow is a lawnmower trailer, get the v6 and you won't have to mow yards on the side to pay for the gas :)

I have a Silverado crew cab, 2500 HD with the 6.0L engine. It's been a fantastic truck and very dependable. The gas mileage has never been good though. I'm lucky to average around 14 m.p.g. in the city, and it doesn't get much better on the high speed highways either because it's geared so low, which causes the higher r.p.m.'s. As far as power, this truck has really been great, surely not the power of a diesel, but it's done great for me. It's been forced to work for it's entire life. I pulled a 34' fifthwheel camper with three slide outs with it for years (about 13K pounds), and it also pulled hundreds of loads for my side business. A few times I pulled my fifth-wheel with my fishing boat hooked on the back of it..........8 miles to the gallon.

:ranting2:

I have a Silverado crew cab, 2500 HD with the 6.0L engine. It's been a fantastic truck and very dependable. The gas mileage has never been good though. I'm lucky to average around 14 m.p.g. in the city, and it doesn't get much better on the high speed highways either because it's geared so low, which causes the higher r.p.m.'s. As far as power, this truck has really been great, surely not the power of a diesel, but it's done great for me. It's been forced to work for it's entire life. I pulled a 34' fifthwheel camper with three slide outs with it for years (about 13K pounds), and it also pulled hundreds of loads for my side business. A few times I pulled my fifth-wheel with my fishing boat hooked on the back of it..........8 miles to the gallon.

:ranting2:

You just made my point. ...most 4x4s and pickups are bought to be used as a car. Never seeing off road or any weight in the bed or towing. This class of consumer is what drove the price of trucks to where it is. And also the creature comforts..... ride, leather, etc....

Again what this test showed me was if I wanted a work truck here are the comparison of frame and body strength. ...the average consumer would laugh at it. ....

You just made my point. ...most 4x4s and pickups are bought to be used as a car. Never seeing off road or any weight in the bed or towing. This class of consumer is what drove the price of trucks to where it is. And also the creature comforts..... ride, leather, etc....

Again what this test showed me was if I wanted a work truck here are the comparison of frame and body strength. ...the average consumer would laugh at it. ....

Does yours have carpet or rubber mat floors? :)

Another test

Most of us common pick-up truck owners will never go to these extremes.
For the ones that do and the ones that might, it's just reassuring to know.

I would like to see these trucks climb over real world things.

[video=youtube_share;_f3CAnH7WIM]http://youtu.be/_f3CAnH7WIM[/video]

My Silverado is getting old and I'm due up for a replacement pretty soon. I don't need the 3/4ton HD anymore either. I'm planning to get a 1/2 ton Ford crew cab this go around. It will be a few years old though.....I don't buy new anymore.

GM and Dodge must have had to search really hard to find something their pickup could do better than a Ford. I've used fords for 45 years and will continue using them. This test is ignorant anybody that would park a vehicle parked in a bind like that is ignorant.

GM and Dodge must have had to search really hard to find something their pickup could do better than a Ford. I've used fords for 45 years and will continue using them. This test is ignorant anybody that would park a vehicle parked in a bind like that is ignorant.

I'm curious as to how you would test frame and box strength ? It's not that someone is going to park this way. ..especially since the truck costs over sixty grand. Unless you're a. ....a hole