FedEx Freight | Freight and National to merge effective January 30, 2011.

Can I cry now or should I wait and see if I can transfer to Freight first? I just hope that we all survive this. Anyway hope everyone is going to be ok and I guess we will see once the dust settles down. I just tripped over my bottom lip so I had better sign off. Take care everyone.:argue:

Positive spin?

OK bear with me her and i'm gonna try to spin this in a good way(well only good for some of us)So they close 100 terminals, understandable you don't need terminals on top of each other. 1,700 job cuts.Ya got to figure they aren't gonna need 2 managers,dispatchers,inbound,outbound supervisors,sales people and all the other redundant positions. Plus part timers will go first. Between the two companies we move a lot of freight, volume is volume no matter what,so maybe all those job cuts won't be focused on drivers. Best of luck to all my brothers and sisters out there. I hope that god will smile on us all. Peace.:smile:

I with you trucking-fool ! It all depends on how many bids they cancel on how drivers will be effected.. I just read they are closing shamrock... That alone will cancel 30 or more bids out of Memphis.... It could be just a rumor dont know for sure...

John Jones from Lakeland said to us in Shamrock that 90% of the jobs lost would be inside people. All 230 of the people in Lakeland are losing their jobs.

So they arent closing shamrock down then ??? Hell I didnt even think shamrock had that many people. I thought it was a drop lot with a trailer and a few computer terminals ....

After the meeting I feel a bit more positive than before it though. I left a pretty good gig to come here 3 mos. ago, and even if nothing appeals to me to transfer to or nothing is available I can take a severance of about $10K. Not many companies would offer that to a newer hire! We all have the option of transfering to openings in all the Fedex family of companies as well. It's not all roses but it could be a hell of a lot worse!

Man ohhh Man it all makes sense now.. The brass at Fed Ex has beeen busy busy for the past year... Thats why they have been busy putting on linehaul drivers at National and City guys at freight in key markets in the lucrative lanes......

After the meeting I feel a bit more positive than before it though. I left a pretty good gig to come here 3 mos. ago, and even if nothing appeals to me to transfer to or nothing is available I can take a severance of about $10K. Not many companies would offer that to a newer hire! We all have the option of transfering to openings in all the Fedex family of companies as well. It's not all roses but it could be a hell of a lot worse!

That is a great post, and so very true!

oh they thought this out. These idiots are only giving us a week to desided if we want to stay or go. And who's to say that if we do transfer and don't take the money will we get over their and a few months have to let us go? They have put all drivers in a bad position because its now a risk for lower senority drivers. And now combining all these drivers I bet you will start gettting 30-35 hrs a week.

oh they thought this out. These idiots are only giving us a week to desided if we want to stay or go. And who's to say that if we do transfer and don't take the money will we get over their and a few months have to let us go? They have put all drivers in a bad position because its now a risk for lower senority drivers. And now combining all these drivers I bet you will start gettting 30-35 hrs a week.

There are city drivers at several FedEx Freight terminals that have been getting these types of hours since the last round of major Layoffs. It never did get back to "normal" after.

There are city drivers at several FedEx Freight terminals that have been getting these types of hours since the last round of major Layoffs. It never did get back to "normal" after.
Well some FXNL terminal were getting all there hrs and alot of overtime. But really why the hell do we have to make a decision this soon? This company has a outside image of looking good but on the inside its just a bunch of pricks figuring out ways to screw drivers.

Well some FXNL terminal were getting all there hrs and alot of overtime. But really why the hell do we have to make a decision this soon? This company has a outside image of looking good but on the inside its just a bunch of pricks figuring out ways to screw drivers.

I know, it is not very much time. But on the otherside...the FedEx freight guys have to wait on the national side to decide to even know if they have been "displaced". A lot of the freight drivers just got back on their feet after adjusting their lives since the last round of layoffs. I know many who filed bankruptcy from loss of hours & OT.

OT has not been in the vocabulary of many freight drivers in close to 2 years now. Consistent 40 hour a week checks have not been a reality in a long time for many freight drivers. Now, after having been lucky enough to keep their jobs since it all went down this happens.

I feel bad for everyone, on all sides.

Im pretty sure you have till october 4th to decide..

Last year at freight I had 2 weeks to decide my familys fate
sell my house in a down market, take my kids out of school
and if you take the buy out , you don't get unemployment until you've used up your buyout
then to top it off if you transfer , you might not have a job in 6 months
cuz they still havn't figured it out
I wish you all the best of luck
BUYER BEWARE

One thing that made me happy to hear is that you guys will dovetail in with your original hire date at watkins and not sept 06........I will fall back some but I will still have a job and thats all I care about right now......may the Good Lord be with you my friends....Hooty out.