FedEx Freight | Freight and National to merge effective January 30, 2011.

The only dove tailing that will work to anyone's advantage will be the old watkins company drivers...they will get to use their original watkins hire date for seniority purposes but the long time watkins contractors who stayed on as company drivers will revert back to Sept.6 2006 as the hire date regardless if they were 20 year watkins contractors. such a huge shame.

I just read they are closing shamrock... That alone will cancel 30 or more bids out of Memphis.... It could be just a rumor dont know for sure...

Remember guys and girls, just because they are closing a relay facility doesn't mean the freight disappears. FedEx still has to move the freight in that lane.

Im pretty sure you have till october 4th to decide..

The list of how many employees will be needed per facility will be out Monday, September 20th and a decision on whether you want to stay or take the severance package will have to be made before midnight, September 27th.

They could have given us a little more time, but I understand the reason they need the decision so early.

This is just a copy & paste

sept 16-17 managers to inform employees about merger and specific impacts
sept 20 managers/hr to distribute hourly workforce merger option and voluntary severance decision form to affected employees along with data regarding available locations based on work distribution, number of available positions by job classification and seniority lists (no names)
sept 20-27 accept volunteers for severance in accordance with merger process guidelines
sept 20-oct 4 affected employees complete hourly workforce merger option and voluntary severance decision form with their choice of locations ranked in order of preference
oct 4-15 hr to reconcile forms and work with managers to notify employees of their new work location
oct 18-22 hr to work with managers to notify displaced employees. the mrger staffing decision form will be provided which allows displaced employees to choose between a 90day layoff effective upon the merger or separation/termination of employment on jan 29 2001, with severance paid following receipt of a signed release
jan 14 merger staffing decision form due
jan 30 merger effective

We are now called Fedex Freight Priority and Fedex Freight Economy.

severance package

full time
2 weeks per each year of service (minimum 12 weeks and max 40 weeks)
$1500 transition assistance
outplacement workshops

part time
$3000 lump sum
(must have 20 years average per week)

Last edited by a moderator:
have my letter in my hand, right at the top it says "FXF, FXNL,FXFS will merge into one operating company and provide two distinct services.FedEx Freight Priority and FedEx Freight economy through one p & d network" Isn't that exactly what we were doing? How are you going to seperate the freight on the dock, which trailer is priority which one is economy? Sounds like a bad logistics nightmare to me. Also how are you going to close terminals that do 300 to 500 outbound bills a night and pump all that extra work into Freight terminals that are already maxed out?

I am one of the lucky few out of cincy,but i can't say i'm happy. many of my fellow drivers i.ve called freinds for 17 years will have to relocate out of cincy.They won't be forgotten.So watch out fairfeild here i come get ready for a change.Mr.breeze

Yes, the regular COBRA rules will apply. COBRA can be used for 18 months and sometimes can be extended to 24-36 months. You will have to pay the premiums.

That "transition pay", I assume is "U-Haul" pay for those taking the buy out. What, if any stipend or "transition" is available to those who transfer to other cities? Or is a move all out of the employee's wallet?

I'm with Sharpshooter. I'm not moving (again) for a job. I didn't like the results of the last one. I was looking for a job when I found this on, so I guess I can start again if needed.

I was one of the unlucky ones two years ago who had to transfer to another center....to my advantage I got to come back to my home center 6 months ago to the city board where I got company sen. to stay put. The scm put 4 guys on from conway 4 months ago and you should have seen the look on these poor fellas faces when we got the news thursday......no one can tell me fedex didn't know about this business when we were hiring out the ying yang....people first....right! Seems to me you can bet every year and a half, fedex will screw with someone's life like clock work......and another thing while I'm on a roll, I am so damned tired of hearing where ground makes money, express makes money, but we are always the damned red headed step children who never make the company squat! How can this constantly be?

hooty ..... I'm with you ... we keep hauling more and more freight at my local center .... and hiring new bodys .... somebody is making money .. thats for sure