Yellow | Freightliner recall

I learned on my Dad's 1955 B42 gas job/Duplex. Then a 72 White Mustang gas job. First ten-wheeler I actually drove down the road was his 66 White. 220 Cummins, slanted in to fit the narrow butterfly hood.

If that old Mustang White had the tailpipe turned out over the drive axle, they were the best sounding things on the road.
I'm not sure about the B42, we ran A50s with a 5 spd direct, no duplex and some B60s
with duplex, both had the EN431 engine with updraft carburetor.
They changed #1 and #6 spark plugs about every 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Bring back the pumpkins!!
ayZjlZ7.jpg
Here you go mud....old linehaul tractor with a porch light :1036316054:
53vJlMO.jpg

A COE,flatback, short wheelbase Freightliner with a jiff has to be close to capital punishment as it gets.
Worse thing I've driven, bar none.
We were all amazed when these sets started showing up at the ABQ relay. It was the start of Roadway running double 28' trailers. At first it was with the narrow pup trailers. Some of the older drivers had to show us newbies how to hook a set. Then came hooking a jiff to a tractor, oh no!
EGrOi8e.jpg

We were all amazed when these sets started showing up at the ABQ relay. It was the start of Roadway running double 28' trailers. At first it was with the narrow pup trailers. Some of the older drivers had to show us newbies how to hook a set. Then came hooking a jiff to a tractor, oh no!
EGrOi8e.jpg

kFA2di4.jpg

EGrOi8e.jpg
I pulled a 45' and jiff on portable scales at Hardeeville S C, the man said, "park and bring your papers inside.
He said thats a single axle, you have no weight on the back axle."
"I said it has 55lbs on the gauge", I go outside and find the air line to the bags not connected.
I told him I found the problem, "I don't care its not going anywhere untill its unloaded and reloaded right."
"We intend to make it so expensive for Ryder and Roadway till they learn to get them right or get rid of those
damn things".
I go to phone booth outside and call Charl, told him my problem, he said call back in 30 min.
Called back and was told some one would be calling the man soon.
I go in his little trailer and his phone rings, yes sir, yes sir, yes sir, OK
He tells me, "you can go", "do you want me to pull it back on the scales?
"Nope, I don't give a damn what it weighs, you can go".
I had to rub it in a little, I asked "do I not need to unload the trailer?"
He said "all I want is you to get in your truck and leave"
He didn't offer me a ticket.

A COE,flatback, short wheelbase Freightliner with a jiff has to be close to capital punishment as it gets.
Worse thing I've driven, bar none.
Heck ya thats why we called them either a "Jap freightliner " or my favorite "Road Commodes" , spring suspension and the jiffs had rubber blocks , no air ride, and always so clean no grease anywhere. I would rather had one of the "shake and bake" Whites than one of those, i liked when they sent down to the shop for instructions on how to hook the jiff to the tractor, sweet nice warm shop inside and a new unit sitting there. So Easy

If that old Mustang White had the tailpipe turned out over the drive axle, they were the best sounding things on the road.
I'm not sure about the B42, we ran A50s with a 5 spd direct, no duplex and some B60s
with duplex, both had the EN431 engine with updraft carburetor.
They changed #1 and #6 spark plugs about every 2 weeks.
You could always tell that a mustang was behind you at night.Those damm Head lights flopping up and down on the fenders.A few companies up my way ran those right in to the late seventies I liked my 65 9000 and of coarse loved my road boss :17:

I pulled a 45' and jiff on portable scales at Hardeeville S C, the man said, "park and bring your papers inside.
He said thats a single axle, you have no weight on the back axle."
"I said it has 55lbs on the gauge", I go outside and find the air line to the bags not connected.
I told him I found the problem, "I don't care its not going anywhere untill its unloaded and reloaded right."
"We intend to make it so expensive for Ryder and Roadway till they learn to get them right or get rid of those
damn things".
I go to phone booth outside and call Charl, told him my problem, he said call back in 30 min.
Called back and was told some one would be calling the man soon.
I go in his little trailer and his phone rings, yes sir, yes sir, yes sir, OK
He tells me, "you can go", "do you want me to pull it back on the scales?
"Nope, I don't give a damn what it weighs, you can go".
I had to rub it in a little, I asked "do I not need to unload the trailer?"
He said "all I want is you to get in your truck and leave"
He didn't offer me a ticket.
Always a good time when you get to pull one over on the DOT.

I heard a story once about a rookie DOT man, fixing to do good by punishing truckers. So he started by picking on brakes, ticketing for out of adjustment like it was going out of style. One driver in a brand new Freightliner with a brand new van trailer gets violations on all five axles. "Sir, i just picked both of these up from the factories that built them." the driver says. DOT says "Don't care, they're out."

Driver, frustrated, asks for the scalemaster, who goes out to check the brakes himself. He comes back inside five minutes later and rips up the ticket. "You can go, driver." He says. Then he asks the rookie for all the brake tickets he's written and voids every single one. Driver walked out laughing.